Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 16, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #12,736 of 150,081
Quote:

But how can we get valid samples of the keyboard sound without a proper Multi-Bit ADC to capture the sonic information to distribute to keyboard sonics connoisseurs across the globe?

LOL, these last couple replies have been hilarious. I need to upload some valid samples of my HHKB's sound through my Modi MB to properly capture the sonic characteristics of the 45g topre electrostatic capacitative non-contact switches - you're right.

Crap, you guys keep this up and Schiit will have to make a keyboard.

I would pay very good money for that.

Sep 16, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #12,737 of 150,081

LOL, these last couple replies have been hilarious. I need to upload some valid samples of my HHKB's sound through my Modi MB to properly capture the sonic characteristics of the 45g topre electrostatic capacitative non-contact switches - you're right.

I would pay very good money for that.

That would be a problem for non touch typists as the key faces are redacted.

Sep 16, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #12,738 of 150,081

But how can we get valid samples of the keyboard sound without a proper Multi-Bit ADC to capture the sonic information to distribute to keyboard sonics connoisseurs across the globe?

Just ask Mike to resurrect a Frankenstein GAIN system and you'll be good to go.

The other piece of the puzzle though is how to accurately measure and recreate the tactile forces of these various keyboards. Seeing as Schiit is in the amplifier game, I'm thinking perhaps some sort of magnetic coil style key return system rather than antiquated springs. Power ratings may pehaps be higher, but bandwidth will be roughly three orders of magnitude lower so I imagine that will lesson the engineering strains somewhat.

tongue.gif

Sep 16, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #12,739 of 150,081

Just ask Mike to resurrect a Frankenstein GAIN system and you'll be good to go.

The other piece of the puzzle though is how to accurately measure and recreate the tactile forces of these various keyboards. Seeing as Schiit is in the amplifier game, I'm thinking perhaps some sort of magnetic coil style key return system rather than antiquated springs. Power ratings may pehaps be higher, but bandwidth will be roughly three orders of magnitude lower so I imagine that will lesson the engineering strains somewhat.

tongue.gif

Schiit keyboards will sound amazing...

...but the keys are on the underside!

Sep 16, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #12,740 of 150,081
  It isn't readily apparent to me, but reading the manual of the Jotunheim; it appears that in order to take advantage of the potential for two inputs you have to select either a DAC or phono pre-, that if no card is selected that input arrives blanked off.  A nice third option would be a line level input to allow the use of both an outboard DAC and phono pre-, particularly since I already have both and would like to update to multibit someday.

here's how the selector switch works:
top setting - internal card (phono pre, dac or none, depending on which one you get)
middle setting - XLR line in
bottom setting - RCA line in

I use my (external) phono pre with the RCA line in, which is probably what you're thinking of. If you get a gungnir multibit or yggdrasil, you can run that through the XLR line in. If not, you can get a SYS to switch between an external dac and phono pre.

Sep 16, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #12,742 of 150,081

Wouldn't be in keeping with their mandate.

Excellent, they don't want very good money they want Schiit money for excellent products 
biggrin.gif

Sep 16, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #12,745 of 150,081
Something went hincky with my Hacintosh this morning, and the USB out to the Modi U2 stopped working. Because of the multiple inputs I was able to seamlessly switch over to Toslink and just keep on going until such time as I can troubleshoot in depth.

I mention this because I just found myself head-nodding along to the music as I worked. And that's what it's all about, isn't it? My little piece of Schiit delivers music that makes me happy. Sometimes I burst out singing along, and scare the hell out of the cat - does it get much better than that?

Sep 16, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #12,747 of 150,081
Something went hincky with my Hacintosh this morning, and the USB out to the Modi U2 stopped working. Because of the multiple inputs I was able to seamlessly switch over to Toslink and just keep on going until such time as I can troubleshoot in depth.

I mention this because I just found myself head-nodding along to the music as I worked. And that's what it's all about, isn't it? My little piece of Schiit delivers music that makes me happy. Sometimes I burst out singing along, and scare the hell out of the cat - does it get much better than that?

Haha! I got the newly released today led Zeppelin complete bbc sessions and was jamming out with Moby / Jodie / HD650s, and scared the hell out of the dog when I started singing along to I can't quit you babe!

Sep 16, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #12,748 of 150,081
For LED's, those few nights in the winter when I had to sleep on the couch for snoring, that bright ass KED from my Mani helped me not bang my shins on the coffee table. That damn light is like a 1000 tiny suns. I think my iPhone LED is almost as bright. What's the amperage drop across that thing, like 2 amps or something?

LOL mate.

Sep 16, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #12,749 of 150,081
If I snore too much she is going to the couch, as I am obviously asleep 
biggrin.gif

Sep 16, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #12,750 of 150,081
Jason has opined that although Jotie is more accurate than the newest Mjolnir, he prefers Mojie for its euphonic character, presumably with the stock tubes. Is the aural distance narrowed with LISST?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back