Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 28, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #12,421 of 149,295
My Congratulations to you and your team Jason. In all the excitement of the details of the product, we have lost sight of the elephant in the room. It is not every day that a new Amplifier topology appears. As you indicated in your previous writings, it is only once every few decades. Your achievement should be recognized.

Although I am not personally in the market for a new headphone amplifier, I look forward to the new possibilities that appear in the future. I am sure a team as creative as yours will provide many lovely surprises for years to come.

My warmest regards.

Aug 28, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #12,422 of 149,295

Not gonna lie... I want to see someone actually do this and set their amp on fire. Make it a contest: whoever makes the most spectacular boom gets a replacement amp. All other entries are outta luck.
tongue.gif

Yet another example of marketing genius right there I tells ya…

JJ 
atsmile.gif

Aug 28, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #12,423 of 149,295
  Yet another example of marketing genius right there I tells ya…

JJ 
atsmile.gif

Of course, some genius might just wire up four 8-ohm woofers in series so that it presents a nominal 32-ohm load to the amp and see what happens
rolleyes.gif

(the super genius might attach a zobel network...)

Aug 28, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #12,424 of 149,295

Hey, you know what would be a cool product?  A combo headphone amp/SPEAKER amp!  Maybe with enough power to drive actual room-sized loudspeakers to meaningful levels!  Yea, let's see you do that!

Err...

You can already get a LIO integrated from Vinnie Rossi...modular, etc; a bit under powered at 25 watts/channel & quite a bit more expensive than anything in Schitt's line-up, but you do get a choice of colors!

Aug 28, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #12,425 of 149,295
Here's some bold wishing-out-loud for Schiit's next big blockbuster move, perhaps into the world of desktop preamps... ?

1. An audiophile-grade preamp, based on the Jotunheim's architecture
  2. The base chassis supports the power supplies, remote & locally controlled volume and input selection  AND  eight "Slots"
  3. As with the Jotenheim's USB/Phono slot, each of these slots could be custom populated/configured based on each user's needs
  4. Each slot has access to both a balanced input bus and a balanced output bus, or perhapse a seperat input and output bus structures.
  5. Output Modules
    1. RCA
    2. XLR
    3. Mono - Sub Out - dual
  6. Input Modules
    1. USB Delta/Sigma
    2. USB Multi-bit  (I know, a stretch due to size)
    3. Toslink
    4. AES/EBU
    5. RCA
    6. XLR
    7. ROON Endpoint!
    8. Airplay/Bluetooth/APX
    9. MC Phono
    10. MM Phono
    11. HT Bypass

As long as I have my magic wand out, let's add one extra slot... call it a "Flavor" slot.
  1. Left "blank/stock" for the base Schiit solid-state sound
  2. Tube module
  3. Other euphonic "transfer functions" - surprise us!
  4. In-Line/Bypass switching of the Flavor Module from the remote?

Add it up and you have customization for each user's needs/budget/preferences and a future-proof design.

Just dreaming out loud...

Aug 29, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #12,429 of 149,295
@Jason Stoddard
I'm curious, how does Schiit decide which names to use for their products? Do you toss names around randomly until one sticks? Do you pull names from a hat? Is there a dartboard involved?

Aug 29, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #12,432 of 149,295
  You can already get a LIO integrated from Vinnie Rossi...modular, etc; a bit under powered at 25 watts/channel & quite a bit more expensive than anything in Schitt's line-up, but you do get a choice of colors!

You can already get it from Schiit, which was my point.

Aug 29, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #12,433 of 149,295
  @Jason Stoddard
I'm curious, how does Schiit decide which names to use for their products? Do you toss names around randomly until one sticks? Do you pull names from a hat? Is there a dartboard involved?

I'd love to know that as well as referenced in my post a couple pages back - it would make all the sense in the world if the name Jotunheim was planned out.

The Jotunn stole Mjolnir('s balanced pot) to fight Asgard!

Aug 29, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #12,434 of 149,295

I'd love to know that as well as referenced in my post a couple pages back - it would make all the sense in the world if the name Jotunheim was planned out.

The Jotunn stole Mjolnir('s balanced pot) to fight Asgard!

as i understand it, asgard is a 'realm' or 'world' to the gods. Valhalla is a fortress within asgard, which doesn't really make much sense in terms of headphone amplifiers.

Aug 29, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #12,435 of 149,295
as i understand it, asgard is a 'realm' or 'world' to the gods. Valhalla is a fortress within asgard, which doesn't really make much sense in terms of headphone amplifiers.

Yeah Asgard is the realm of the Aesir (Gods), one of the nine worlds, Jotunheim being one of them also. Valhalla is a hall or fortress as you put it, heroes that died in battle are brought there by Valkyries to train for the battle of Ragnarok.

Those Valkyries are commonly described as (angels of) light in a world/time of darkness. I'd imagine this was taken into consideration given the Valhalla is a tube amplifier!

http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/ice/coo/coo16.htm - the story of how the Jotunn tried to get the upper hand on the Aesir and take over Asgard by stealing and concealing Mjolnir can be read here.

Or maybe they just come up with random names and I'm delusional, but either way it's very interesting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back