Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 17, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #123,871 of 151,181
In any active mode Kara kills Freya S.

Freya S active is slightly fuller/warmer than its passive mode, in my system driven typically by Mani 2 or Modi Multibit 2 and driving Vidar 2.

Are you saying that Kara active matches the passive mode? So no fuller sound? Assuming no impedance matching issues passive ought to be the reference.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #123,872 of 151,181
I bought a Freya S when when visiting Schittr a few years back and had been happy ever since. With Kara out it is very tempting to make the trip again. I'd like to name it 'Starbuck' if I were to buy one this time.

Aug 17, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #123,874 of 151,181
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 17, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #123,875 of 151,181
2W all out into 32 ohms. Maxes at 3-4W into weird impedances like 64 ohms. Not worth going for big numbers, this is not a numbers amp. Not for everyone.
Has anybody been able to test with HE6 or Susvara? I have HE6se v2 which are probably my favorite headphones, but it pushes my Jot 2 to the brink at "jamming" volume levels even with a Freya S boosting the gain.

Aug 17, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #123,876 of 151,181
Ragnarok 2 drives my 80 db efficient HE6se (non v2) with ease... Rag 2 just an amp is just a tad bit more expensive then the MJ3...

I ordered an MJ3 this morning. Will be interesting to see how it does with ZMF Auteurs, Focal Clears, and HE6se, and compare MJ3 vs my Rag 2, & TS Incubus Elegans.

@Jason Stoddard

I ordered my amp around 6:15 PST, and see that it is also "In Production". Any idea on the production timeline? Just a few days or possibly a few weeks?

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #123,877 of 151,181
My, my. Aren't we getting a bit impatient. :D

Aug 17, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #123,879 of 151,181
Has anybody been able to test with HE6 or Susvara? I have HE6se v2 which are probably my favorite headphones, but it pushes my Jot 2 to the brink at "jamming" volume levels even with a Freya S boosting the gain.
Works fine on our Susvara, but I don't listen at ear-bleeding levels.
Ragnarok 2 drives my 80 db efficient HE6se (non v2) with ease... Rag 2 just an amp is just a tad bit more expensive then the MJ3...
I'd do this and end all questions about drive capability. Personally.
I ordered an MJ3 this morning. Will be interesting to see how it does with ZMF Auteurs, Focal Clears, and HE6se, and compare MJ3 vs my Rag 2, & TS Incubus Elegans.

@Jason Stoddard

I ordered my amp around 6:15 PST, and see that it is also "In Production". Any idea on the production timeline? Just a few days or possibly a few weeks?
It means probably today or tomorrow. There are a ton on the burn rack.

Last edited:

Aug 17, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #123,880 of 151,181
Trivial when compared to the two new products today, but

Here is my MoPi2AES-Lite case. Need a further refinement possible just to how its printed. It isnt't flush in the front, but you can't see it from the front. Think it a printing issue not "Design" issue. I'm going to try to print one on its side. If that doesn't work I may just let it go. I may be able to print with supports as well. Its a drag taking up 4-5 hours to have a result. May go with less infill to speed up the time. Also countersunk holes were a disaster on this top piece. They are through holes now.

Funny thing is that its almost exactly 2x Modi Height which is a coincidence.

Attachments

• 20230817_141401.jpg
    20230817_141401.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Aug 17, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #123,882 of 151,181
2023, Chapter 10:
Solidification

Freya S has been replaced by Kara, and it’s now a new world.

Interesting.

I recently acquired a Freya S to compare to my Freya + (both octal and noval).

IMO, the tube based Freyas with the best NOS tubes installed easily trounce Freya S. They are more dynamic and produce the impression of more full-bodied music.

I wonder if Kara would close this gap.

Aug 17, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #123,883 of 151,181
I'm gonna add this to my vision board:

"Mjolnir 3 sells so well, that another run is green-lit, available in old-school coarse grain silver finish."

I would gladly check a box on the checkout page confirming I won't use it above whatever ambient temperature causes the silver to be unfeasible versus black! :)

Agreed!

Aug 17, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #123,884 of 151,181
I just realized that the heat sinks will make nice char marks on some wieners.

I’ll report back on whether the dogs taste better if grilled while pumping heavy metal or soft jazz through this thing.
If you're using the right cables, the char marks will be blacker than if using inferior ones.

Aug 17, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #123,885 of 151,181
Trivial when compared to the two new products today, but

Here is my MoPi2AES-Lite case. Need a further refinement possible just to how its printed. It isnt't flush in the front, but you can't see it from the front. Think it a printing issue not "Design" issue. I'm going to try to print one on its side. If that doesn't work I may just let it go. I may be able to print with supports as well. Its a drag taking up 4-5 hours to have a result. May go with less infill to speed up the time. Also countersunk holes were a disaster on this top piece. They are through holes now.

Funny thing is that its almost exactly 2x Modi Height which is a coincidence.

FDM has its limitations, as does resin. The best results we're getting today are from the new tough engineering resins and flexible build plates, but those are expensive, nasty and hard to use. And still need supports. Neither does thin walls well, though the tough resins are better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back