Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 21, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #121,997 of 151,153
Jul 21, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #121,998 of 151,153
This little character followed me on my lunchtime walk today - friendly little critter and vocal too - finally went off to investigate some Icelandic Horses in a nearby paddock

thumbnail_IMG_0956.jpg

Jul 21, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #121,999 of 151,153
Hey all,

Pretty soon, some of you may be getting an email about a neat package we’re doing with Dan Clark Audio.

<blah>

I hope you enjoy!

All the best,
Jason
The link in the email I got is busted https://www.schiit.com/product/aeon-jotunheim

"The page you are looking for is not available or you do not have access to it."

Looks like someone missed the "s" that should have been at the end of "product"

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #122,000 of 151,153
Hey all,

Pretty soon, some of you may be getting an email about a neat package we’re doing with Dan Clark Audio.

The TL;DR version is: we’re putting together Jotunheim 2 Multibit and Aeon 2 Noire for $1249.

aeon noire composite full res-1.jpg

Oh boy, cue the howling.

Some of you are excited, because this is a cool end-game system with serious synergy you can do as a “one and done” and finish off your desktop, period, end of chasing the audio unicorn. And some of you are saying, “wait a sec, are you suddenly gonna do a bunch of crazy-ass combos, so ordering from you is like going to a fast food joint in the early 2000s when they went from #1 to #34 or something like that?”

Relax. We’re actually doing this for a very simple reason: because DCA, like us:
  • Develops their own unique technology.
  • Makes their stuff in California.
  • Does affordable stuff.
Dan and I put together a little video talking about this some more:

Aaaaaannnd, the Jotunheim 2 Multibit and Aeon 2 Noire are seriously synergistic. So when I heard them together, I said, “Yeah, let’s try this package thing and see how it goes.”

So yeah: another “how does it go?” Another test. Another Thunderdome.

If it goes well, sure, maybe there’ll be others in the future. But I don’t think you’ll have to worry about us having a combo menu as big as the side of a box truck. Nor do you have to worry about year-end blow-out sales (though we will likely be closing out a couple of things, but those are close-out close-outs, not sales...again, we'll see).

For those of you who are interested, you can buy on our site or DCA’s site.

Our link: https://www.schiit.com/products/aeon-jotunheim
Dan Clark Audio: https://danclarkaudio.com/aeon-2-noire-and-jotunheim-2-multibit-summer-synergy-bundle.html

I hope you enjoy!

All the best,
Jason

The URL in the email points to https://www.schiit.com/product/aeon-jotunheim which is a dead link, the live page is /products/

Jul 21, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #122,001 of 151,153
URD- Initial Impressions

Short version: Holy Schiit!

Pedantic version: Taking Urd out of the shipping box I was struck by the solidity of this piece, as others have already noted this has the feel of a serious piece of kit. The design is clean and simple, connecting to Yggy took almost no time, and away we go!

I am running Unison to Unison, when I have more time I'll compare that to SPDIF via coax. I was forced to read the instructions to discover that Urd will only output a USB or SPDIF signal, not both at once. Now I have signal through to Yggy and sound. Sound! I am stepping up from an Oppo BDP-93, and older universal disc player and so I anticipated improvement out-of-the-box and Urd doid not disappoint. Yet as I listen, and perhaps electronics reach operating temperature, cables relax again and so forth, the details are in the details. Some folks may remember the term "Moffat Bass" from the early days of multi-bit DAC's, well Urd also delivers Moffat bass to the point where I may need to trim back my subs just a touch.

Listening to Jewel- Spirit; Cassandra Wilson Travelin' Miles; The Grateful Dead (@dhcarquinez - Urd plays CD-R's just fine!), and more to come.

Oh, the metal tray is the perfect call, thank you Jason. Elegance and solidity. Everything about this unit speaks to thoughtful design and execution. Nothing excessive and flashy, just straightforward functionality. Here's an example- put a disc in the tray and it the "Play" button, the tray slides back in, the disc is read, and music starts playing. simple and precise.

Did I mention the sound? It keeps getting better as I listen to more CD's (the music I already own). Now on Jonathan Wilson's Gentle Spirit, another very well recorded and produced album of fine music, and the sonics are more delightful than ever before.

Enough for now, you get the idea. I may have more to say over time. Well, there is this- if you own CD's and want a source machine to connect to your DAC the Urd is a worthy choice.

IMG_3311.jpeg

Very nice! If you don't mind me asking, can you tell any kind of difference between turning the OS filter on and off on your Yggy? I've got the Less Is More flavor, but not the "+" version and I'm debating whether I should do the upgraded chassis.

Jul 21, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #122,003 of 151,153
Jul 21, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #122,005 of 151,153

Neat!

The DCA Æon Noir is by far my favorite headphone. Ever since I bought mine a year or so ago, all my other headphones have barely gotten any use anymore. I could just as well sell most of them and not miss them for a second. Like, the gap to my second-favorite set of headphones is so big, your grandma could comfortably park an Australian road train in it without scratching anything.

But I have to vehemently disagree with @Jason Stoddard and Dan Clark on one particular point: There is no special synergy between the Æon Noir and the Jotunheim 2. Not any more than there is a special synergy between the Æon Noir and almost anything that Schiit makes.

Especially the "weaker" Schiit like the class A amps and Piety, ironically enough. The Noir and my Asgard 1 sound so good together, they give my beloved Mjolnir 2 a run for its money. Folkvangr and Noir? Blissful! (With impedance multiplier engaged, obviously.) And the $150 Piety transforms itself into a $1,500 amp when it drives the Noirs on high gain — a fact that when I mentioned it to Jason, it first made him visibly cringe because they're such a difficult headphone to drive for an amp that isn't ideal for these kinds of low impedance loads, and then quite curious as to why they do so well together in the first place.

They are incredibly detailed, the stage wraps all around your head instead of living just between your ears or on the bridge of your nose, they are the most open sounding closed headphones I've ever tried, the low end is the fullest of all the headphones I own without ever overwhelming any of the other frequencies, and they are the only planars I have ever! heard through Jotunheim 2 that don't turn themselves into an ear drums besieging gatling gun with all those less-than-ideally recorded and mixed rock and metal tracks that are everywhere out there, especially when you use them single-ended.

Plus, I can wear them 10+ hours a day without any kind of fatigue whatsoever.

The Noirs are fantastic in almost* every way.

Guys, just buy one, is what I'm saying.

* Won't be going into the bits that I dislike, because from what I can gather from talking to other people about these headphones, those bits only really seem to affect/bother me.

I feel a strong urge to sorely test my marriage. What an awesome combo! I've been looking at both, sooooo....

Jul 21, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #122,006 of 151,153
I feel a strong urge to sorely test my marriage. What an awesome combo! I've been looking at both, sooooo....
Seriously! And it’s bad enough that I also want an Urd… 🤔

Jul 21, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #122,009 of 151,153
Jul 21, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #122,010 of 151,153

Users who are viewing this thread

Back