Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 21, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #121,981 of 151,180
I remember Pink Triangle. I worked for a Linn dealer, so at that time was brainwashed into thinking all else was rubbish, which obviously was not true.
Arthur, who founded PT, has recently revived the brand to run alongside The Funk Firm.
Arthur is an absolute legend ,as part of the product training we would visit the factory and he would get us to build a deck from scratch ! He reckoned we learnt more by doing this and he was right

Jul 21, 2023 at 7:15 AM Post #121,982 of 151,180
I remember Pink Triangle. I worked for a Linn dealer, so at that time was brainwashed into thinking all else was rubbish, which obviously was not true.
Arthur, who founded PT, has recently revived the brand to run alongside The Funk Firm.
The Linn house sound worked so well with the then Naim house sound - it was such a good combi at the time

Jul 21, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #121,983 of 151,180
The Linn house sound worked so well with the then Naim house sound - it was such a good combi at the time

Yes I have fond memories of the flat earth products of the time - starting my hi-fi adventure in 1989.

Part of the appeal was the UK companies at the time was their no-nonsense products that prioritised sound-over-prestige (and superfluous features) - giving a better value-proposition over the likes of Krell, Mark Levinson, Audio Research etc.

Nowadays there have been big changes, and Schiit is one of the few hi-fi electronic component companies that have taken on that mantle.

Thinking back, performance-wise, I suspect a Lyr+ would make a better pre-amp than an old NAC72/HiCap. However I've not heard a Schiit Power Amp yet, but suspect the same result against an old NAC72/HiCap/NAP140.

Andrew

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #121,984 of 151,180

Yes, and still sounds great decades later. I still have some vintage Naim gear (CDi, NAC42.5/HICAP/NAP110 and a Nait2),
which I rotate with other vintage gear in my 2 channel system. It amazes me how well the Naim gear has aged over the decades. Looking forward to seeing some listening reviews of the Naim Nait 50 integrated and how it compares to the Nait I and Nait 2. I do like the fact that for this 50 year celebration of Naim, that they have brought back the chrome bumper case
for the Nait 50. It's not inexpensive at $3650US, however, when compared to Linn's anniversary edition LP 12 turntable for $60,000US, the Nait 50 is a bargain.

Jul 21, 2023 at 8:38 AM Post #121,985 of 151,180
I might also dip into the world of Syn at some point after the 5-channel amp comes out. I’m remodeling our guest bedroom to become my new home office, and there would be nice space for a miniature surround system.

Mjolnir 3 will likely become a dream only, as I recently bought a new camera (Leica Q3) and it will take some time for my wallet to recover. Besides, Ragnarok 1 still kicks some serious ass, so how much better could it really even be? :thinking:
Brother, that last bit can become a very expensive question. :smile_cat:

Jul 21, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #121,986 of 151,180
I’ve seen pictures of that Linn, and it’s not to my taste, which is handy because I can’t afford one!
me neither and if i could, more 'sexy' options/brands are available, a pick SOL for example :)

I like the designs of the Michell Orbe SE

Jul 21, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #121,988 of 151,180
Yes I have fond memories of the flat earth products of the time - starting my hi-fi adventure in 1989.

Part of the appeal was the UK companies at the time was their no-nonsense products that prioritised sound-over-prestige (and superfluous features) - giving a better value-proposition over the likes of Krell, Martin Logan, Audio Research etc.

Nowadays there have been big changes, and Schiit is one of the few hi-fi electronic component companies that have taken on that mantle.

Thinking back, performance-wise, I suspect a Lyr+ would make a better pre-amp than an old NAC72/HiCap. However I've not heard a Schiit Power Amp yet, but suspect the same result against an old NAC72/HiCap/NAP140.

Andrew
I must confess to being caught up in 'the flat earth ' theory /hysteria and found it a big learning curve of choosing any two of the following traits and getting the third one thrown in !!

those traits were effectively - the good , the bad - usually reliability/warranty issues and the ugly -

Brings me to a few years ago and reading a review of a cheap, small multi bit dac - that sparked a memory of my old Philips 104b 14 bit cd player that I loved - so Schiit bound I became and I haven't looked back

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #121,989 of 151,180

Neat!

The DCA Æon Noir is by far my favorite headphone. Ever since I bought mine a year or so ago, all my other headphones have barely gotten any use anymore. I could just as well sell most of them and not miss them for a second. Like, the gap to my second-favorite set of headphones is so big, your grandma could comfortably park an Australian road train in it without scratching anything.

But I have to vehemently disagree with @Jason Stoddard and Dan Clark on one particular point: There is no special synergy between the Æon Noir and the Jotunheim 2. Not any more than there is a special synergy between the Æon Noir and almost anything that Schiit makes.

Especially the "weaker" Schiit like the class A amps and Piety, ironically enough. The Noir and my Asgard 1 sound so good together, they give my beloved Mjolnir 2 a run for its money. Folkvangr and Noir? Blissful! (With impedance multiplier engaged, obviously.) And the $150 Piety transforms itself into a $1,500 amp when it drives the Noirs on high gain — a fact that when I mentioned it to Jason, it first made him visibly cringe because they're such a difficult headphone to drive for an amp that isn't ideal for these kinds of low impedance loads, and then quite curious as to why they do so well together in the first place.

They are incredibly detailed, the stage wraps all around your head instead of living just between your ears or on the bridge of your nose, they are the most open sounding closed headphones I've ever tried, the low end is the fullest of all the headphones I own without ever overwhelming any of the other frequencies, and they are the only planars I have ever! heard through Jotunheim 2 that don't turn themselves into an ear drums besieging gatling gun with all those less-than-ideally recorded and mixed rock and metal tracks that are everywhere out there, especially when you use them single-ended.

Plus, I can wear them 10+ hours a day without any kind of fatigue whatsoever.

The Noirs are fantastic in almost* every way.

Guys, just buy one, is what I'm saying.

* Won't be going into the bits that I dislike, because from what I can gather from talking to other people about these headphones, those bits only really seem to affect/bother me.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #121,990 of 151,180
Flat Earth?

Flat Earth Surfing.jpeg

Jul 21, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #121,991 of 151,180
Tony Bennett. A right fine run of 96years!

Jul 21, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #121,992 of 151,180
Interesting.

Two of my favorite designers talking about my favorite topics. This is very cool, thanks for sharing.

Jul 21, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #121,993 of 151,180
Hey all,

Pretty soon, some of you may be getting an email about a neat package we’re doing with Dan Clark Audio.

The TL;DR version is: we’re putting together Jotunheim 2 Multibit and Aeon 2 Noire for $1249.

aeon noire composite full res-1.jpg

Oh boy, cue the howling.

Some of you are excited, because this is a cool end-game system with serious synergy you can do as a “one and done” and finish off your desktop, period, end of chasing the audio unicorn. And some of you are saying, “wait a sec, are you suddenly gonna do a bunch of crazy-ass combos, so ordering from you is like going to a fast food joint in the early 2000s when they went from #1 to #34 or something like that?”

Relax. We’re actually doing this for a very simple reason: because DCA, like us:
  • Develops their own unique technology.
  • Makes their stuff in California.
  • Does affordable stuff.
Dan and I put together a little video talking about this some more:

Aaaaaannnd, the Jotunheim 2 Multibit and Aeon 2 Noire are seriously synergistic. So when I heard them together, I said, “Yeah, let’s try this package thing and see how it goes.”

So yeah: another “how does it go?” Another test. Another Thunderdome.

If it goes well, sure, maybe there’ll be others in the future. But I don’t think you’ll have to worry about us having a combo menu as big as the side of a box truck. Nor do you have to worry about year-end blow-out sales (though we will likely be closing out a couple of things, but those are close-out close-outs, not sales...again, we'll see).

For those of you who are interested, you can buy on our site or DCA’s site.

Our link: https://www.schiit.com/products/aeon-jotunheim
Dan Clark Audio: https://danclarkaudio.com/aeon-2-noire-and-jotunheim-2-multibit-summer-synergy-bundle.html

I hope you enjoy!

All the best,
Jason

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 21, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #121,994 of 151,180
Jul 21, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #121,995 of 151,180
And because I'm a nerd and always grab the wrong remote...
Thanks for this neat idea.
Printing now, just for 2 remotes, Freya and Urd.

houder.jpg
houder2.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back