Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 4, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #1,202 of 150,893
I actually enjoy the clicks...something about it letting me know that the device is working and is adjusting for the various sample rates coming in.  It's almost an old school-feeling feature to me.  Never bothered me once. *shrugs*

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #1,203 of 150,893
  Great great story - I am seriously enjoying this. 

One itty bitty question though - why the heck didn't you mute the DAC when you reset it? Those clicks are - annoying.  Able to be overlooked perhaps, but still annoying. :) 

-Paul 

It doesn't click through your headphones, the DAC itself mechanically clicks from the relay. Kind of hard to mute a relay.

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #1,204 of 150,893
  I actually enjoy the clicks...something about it letting me know that the device is working and is adjusting for the various sample rates coming in.  It's almost an old school-feeling feature to me.  Never bothered me once. *shrugs*

It doesn't click through your headphones, the DAC itself mechanically clicks from the relay. Kind of hard to mute a relay.

Yup. Especially @HeyWaj10's post.  It just feels like solid quality to me.  I know something is going on.  My Oppo HA-1 does the same thing when inputs are changed or sample rates change.

Jun 4, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #1,205 of 150,893
  One itty bitty question though - why the heck didn't you mute the DAC when you reset it? Those clicks are - annoying.  Able to be overlooked perhaps, but still annoying. :) 

How do you mute... a muting relay?

BTW, my Bifrost doesn't click... is it normal? 
rolleyes.gif

EDIT: I assume this is because it's connected over USB, where data stream is kinda persistent and packet based.

Jun 4, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #1,208 of 150,893
Yep, USB gives us more information, so we can manage the clicking. With SPDIF, it's just "oh schiit, something's different, mute the system, figure it out, and then turn it back on." 

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 4, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #1,209 of 150,893
  Yep, USB gives us more information, so we can manage the clicking. With SPDIF, it's just "oh schiit, something's different, mute the system, figure it out, and then turn it back on." 

That's smart... otherwise it could "pssSchcchShshchhhhsh" your eardrums out if something's funky with the data stream.
Like if you suddenly decide to send a bitstream signal there instead of PCM, say, undecoded Dolby Digital or DTS....

Jun 4, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #1,210 of 150,893

That's smart... otherwise it could "pssSchcchShshchhhhsh" your eardrums out if something's funky with the data stream.
Like if you suddenly decide to send a bitstream signal there instead of PCM, say, undecoded Dolby Digital or DTS....

Yeah, full-scale digital noise is usually not good for the system. That's one of the reasons we went with an absolute, hard mute, rather than a soft (DAC) mute. But the main reason is that you have to reset all the clocks and such when sample rates change on SPDIF. This can be managed pretty seamlessly when we have a USB receiver providing the clocks (which are set for all bit depths and sample rates in the firmware), but much less so with a SPDIF receiver, which has to sort things out with PLLs and such.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 4, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #1,211 of 150,893
Jason,

Please explain more about the Airport Express issue.

**And there’s not a lot of really bad gear out there, to be honest. Pretty much any computer won’t light it. It really only comes on with really, really awful stuff, like satellite receivers and Apple Airport Express sources. And some old CD players that have gone off-frequency. That’s about it. Everything else runs in high-precision VCXO mode.

Thank you,
R

Jun 4, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #1,213 of 150,893

1. Internal. Let’s say you want to move data from a CD drive to a DAC internal in the CD player. After recovery of the data from the disk, it’s usually moved around via I2S, which is, hey, bit, word, data. Ideal? Sure. Why don’t they use this outside of the box? There’s no single accepted standard. But we can dream.

At the risk of being monotonous, I would dearly love to see the Ygg introduced with an balanced LVDS I2S via HDMI (PSA std.) digital signal input.  There are now multiple manufacturer products that incorporate this or a compatible I2S HDMI format for signal I/O, so one can argue this standard is growing, and the more transports, DDCs and DACs that offer this I2S format the more it will gain traction for industry acceptance and product implementation.  And to paraphrase, "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one..."

EDIT:  Disingenuous statement. No dreams of note.

Jun 4, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #1,214 of 150,893
I would hate to see an HDMI connector on the back of the Yggdrasil. I could go for I2S over say mini-xlr or a LEMO, I could get behind Neutrik circular industrial connectors, hell I'd even take RJ45 over HDMI.

Jun 4, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #1,215 of 150,893
  I would hate to see an HDMI connector on the back of the Yggdrasil. I could go for I2S over say mini-xlr or a LEMO, I could get behind Neutrik circular industrial connectors, hell I'd even take RJ45 over HDMI.

I like the DIN.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back