Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 2, 2023 at 12:19 AM Post #117,691 of 151,950
May 2, 2023 at 12:58 AM Post #117,692 of 151,950
Jeez, now this forum is making me buy 🍷 glassware? (Holds breath).
Yeah, same here. I had just purchased two fountain pens based on recommendations here (Lamy 2000 and Diplomat Aero), and for sure I will be buying double wall wine glasses now. This forum (and especially this thread) is great fun, but good for my wallet? No.

May 2, 2023 at 1:13 AM Post #117,693 of 151,950
If you like classic jazz, the RSD 2023 exclusive mono re-issue of Chet Baker’s “Chet” is stunning. Great pressing, great re-master and my local store had more than one still on hand.

Beautiful package too, with an archival rice paper sleeve.

Going beautifully with some Ardbeg single malt tonight and sounding wonderful through the Mani 2.

May 2, 2023 at 1:14 AM Post #117,694 of 151,950
Yeah, same here. I had just purchased two fountain pens based on recommendations here (Lamy 2000 and Diplomat Aero), and for sure I will be buying double wall wine glasses now. This forum (and especially this thread) is great fun, but good for my wallet? No.
It's like I never knew all the stuff I'm missing 😂😆

May 2, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #117,699 of 151,950
My desk at work is out on the shop floor. Out of curiosity I just checked the sound levels. 83dB on average. The reason I wear ear plugs or noise canceling headphones.
Shop floor or @bcowen's background level Marilyn listening lounge? Both places where ear plugs save ears and possibly lives. 🤣

May 2, 2023 at 4:34 AM Post #117,700 of 151,950
I had a Cadillac Lyriq for six weeks.
1682942613035.png
I ordered it in Dec 2021 and was SO excited to get it.
Drove great, was quiet, had decent range.

It only lasted six weeks because of several reasons (OMG the AKG audio system was terrible), but what really killed the car for me was the infotainment setup. Thankfully, the HVAC controls were physical, but some nitwit decided to put the glovebox "button" and the garage door opener controls on-screen. Doesn't sound like a big deal until you have to fight with the damn thing every day. I had to navigate two different menus to use the damn garage door, and it seldom ever opened the damn door (maybe terrible range) once you did get to it. Backing out of your garage? Can't navigate to any control since the backup camera takes priority.

Sheesh. I had to put my garage remote on the visor. Like the old curmudgeon I am.
Alfa Romeo C4 is Gorgeous !!

May 2, 2023 at 5:09 AM Post #117,702 of 151,950
OK, now, to take advantage of Red Book dynamic range you need speakers+amp capable of 179dB. I think the one in Back To The Future might just fit the bill.

I don't know why @Sinister Whisperz only wants a measly 2W...

There was a hum problem with that setup though. Maybe too much gain?

May 2, 2023 at 6:44 AM Post #117,703 of 151,950
The question on my mind today, if running single-ended and in passive mode, would the Sys, Saga and Freya all sound the same? Anything in the built that would make them sound different from one another? I find myself preferring the Freya S in passive mode majority of the time, there's enough volume. Second guessing myself whether all I needed was a Sys. I have a bad habit of buying more than what I need. :slight_smile:

Buying more than you need won't necessarily make you future-proof, but can provide future-flexibility. That's not a bad thing.

My favorite Freya S mode is passive, too. I can only describe the sound as 'clean' when comparing it to the active modes. I like it so much that I designed my own stepped passive attenuator to use in the basement shop.

Sys will gain you granularity where Freya gains you resolution. Resolution can be matched, granularity is iffy. Personally, I think pots are fine if you realize their lifetime is limited. Sooner or later they will go 'scratchy', even if later takes forty years.

May 2, 2023 at 6:55 AM Post #117,704 of 151,950
At first I thought it was a Cayman, but looking at details clearly not. From that shot's perspective it is tough to see the classic Alfa inverted triangle grill. Do you like it?
You are in MI, and mentioned Ann Arbor recently. The 4C is great for some twisty backroads driving in that area Dexter/Ann Arbor area. :)
It is an amazing automobile. Many missed out on this "Baby Supercar" because they either believe that a true sportscar must have a manual transmission or that Alfa / FCA reliability it the worst. I get how those people feel - but I really don't care. No reliability issues as of yet and I think prefer the DCT over a manual in this chassis. There's absolutely no extra room to store or pack anything - well, if you travel like my wife - so it's not really a great touring car unless you're by yourself.
I used to own and love Porsche 914s - and it was my plan to find a nice example and restomod it into a modern version. Well, I was going to, then I drove a 4C - it honestly feels a lot like the little Porsche used to. Tight ride, butt on the road, raw motoring fun - but I have the benefit of modern technology. safety, AND with the rise of Bring A Trailer, the 914s prices have at least doubled. Not to mention, this is a car that turns heads no matter where I go, and it is impossible for me not to stare at it in the garage or as I walk away from parking it.

You mention the roads around AA / Dexter - there are some nice ones, but most of them are 25 -35 mph and more suited to bicycling than driving. :frowning2: Michigan is probably the worst place (at least this area) to own something fun in the twisties.
1683025130104.png

Last edited:
May 2, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #117,705 of 151,950
What's the glass again? I need to order a set.

Fair warning, my wine/grape of choice is Malbec. For my money nothing pairs better with thick steak like a hearty Malbec.
Don't want you to get in trouble with your wine club for pointing someone to a glass that you know will be used with the wrong wine.
:beerchug:

+1 for Malbec.

JC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back