Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 1, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #117,661 of 153,705
The question on my mind today, if running single-ended and in passive mode, would the Sys, Saga and Freya all sound the same? Anything in the built that would make them sound different from one another? I find myself preferring the Freya S in passive mode majority of the time, there's enough volume. Second guessing myself whether all I needed was a Sys. I have a bad habit of buying more than what I need. :slight_smile:

May 1, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #117,662 of 153,705
The question on my mind today, if running single-ended and in passive mode, would the Sys, Saga and Freya all sound the same? Anything in the built that would make them sound different from one another? I find myself preferring the Freya S in passive mode majority of the time, there's enough volume. Second guessing myself whether all I needed was a Sys. I have a bad habit of buying more than what I need. :slight_smile:
There were some impressions posted on sbaf a while back, comparing passive mode on all 3. There were definitely differences noted between models. I think the Sys might have actually been the favorite.

I think any component can change sound slightly, even a pot or a resistor.

May 1, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #117,663 of 153,705
There were some impressions posted on sbaf a while back, comparing passive mode on all 3. There were definitely differences noted between models. I think the Sys might have actually been the favorite.

I think any component can change sound slightly, even a pot or a resistor.
... and it will vary user to user. This is why on-line "reviews" are interesting and sometimes useful, but no one can tell you how something will sound to you in your room with your setup except you after you have set it up. This is also why pursuing some state of perfection based on measurements or on-line opinions is a pointless exercise: everything will sound different in every setup (and sometimes the same gear will sound different in the same setup but on different days and depending on your mood.)

Buy what you want to try and can afford, try it out, and if it works for you enjoy the music. If it doesn't work then there are always other choices that can be tried.

Last edited:
May 1, 2023 at 8:01 PM Post #117,665 of 153,705
Buy what you want to try and can afford, try it out, and if it works for you enjoy the music. If it doesn't work then there are always other choices that can be tried
Yep, this is pretty much what I do. It helps to learn over time who's opinions tend to match up with yours after trying stuff tho. Makes it so you're shooting in the dark less.

May 1, 2023 at 8:01 PM Post #117,666 of 153,705
May 1, 2023 at 8:05 PM Post #117,667 of 153,705
My stack is computer into a Modi Multibit 2, into a Lyr 3 with a Psvane tube, into an Aegir, into a pair of Zu Omen IIs. Would anyone think I would gain much improvement by getting a Freya N to replace the Lyr, assuming I stay single ended?

May 1, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #117,668 of 153,705
Nice!! Must be blissful.

Correction. 30dB in my music room. I had the air purifier running. And the 38Db in the bedroom office is with my neighbor's outside AC unit running. I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate my asking them to cut their AC off so I can measure. :D
A shotgun would take care of that. Just be sure to use hearing protection. :laughing:

May 1, 2023 at 8:17 PM Post #117,669 of 153,705
May 1, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #117,670 of 153,705
My stack is computer into a Modi Multibit 2, into a Lyr 3 with a Psvane tube, into an Aegir, into a pair of Zu Omen IIs. Would anyone think I would gain much improvement by getting a Freya N to replace the Lyr, assuming I stay single ended?
Heck, your system is one of my goals! I already have the dac but have been seriously considering the Lyr3 Lyr+ and Aegir as alternatives for my collection.

Last edited:
May 1, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #117,671 of 153,705
Nice!! Must be blissful.

Correction. 30dB in my music room. I had the air purifier running. And the 38Db in the bedroom office is with my neighbor's outside AC unit running. I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate my asking them to cut their AC off so I can measure. :D
I'm running 32db ambient in my main space. House is open plan, adjacent to dining and kitchen, main noisemaker is fridge

May 1, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #117,672 of 153,705
... There is no wiring except from my solar panels to my battery bank and to my Inverter. ... A guest left a half empty can of coke under my workbench. It drove my wife and I crazy for about an hour before we found it, yeah you could hear the damn carbonation in an old can of coke from 16 feet away (where we were when we heard it) on the other side of the cabin. ...
No hum from the solar charging the battery? A wind turbine would really be a step backward!

Your soda story reminds me of an old TV ad...

May 1, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #117,673 of 153,705
...I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate my asking them to cut their AC off so I can measure. :D
You must tell them it's for SCIENCE! (yeah, that'll make them listen - not).

May 1, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #117,674 of 153,705
I'm running 32db ambient in my main space. House is open plan, adjacent to dining and kitchen, main noisemaker is fridge
noise-angry.gif

May 1, 2023 at 9:18 PM Post #117,675 of 153,705
Heck, your system is one of my goals! I already have the dac but have been seriously considering the Lyr3 and Aegir as alternatives for my collection.
It sounds really good and I'm sure you'll be happy when you get there. But you know, we always wonder what it will take to improve our systems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back