Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 13, 2016 at 6:21 AM Post #11,116 of 151,716
I sometimes listen to headphones while my speakers and sub are playing; and occasionally with my power amp off, so that the preamp is still feeding the sub. That way I can get viscerally felt bass, which headphones alone can't provide.

It IS possible to get a visceral feeling from 800's.
They can rattle my head and I can feel it in my chest as well.

When they fire off those cannons (1812 overture) or fire off those other explosives (Ein Straussfest on Telarc) it can create body reactions and involuntary jerks that are most impressive.

But you do have to work to get your system to deliver this level of performance…

JJ

Good to know about both. I've had some sense of the visceral capability of my Audeze LCD-Xs and I do want to add a used pair of hd800s to my rig.  But, maybe it's best to say I've grown "cannon-shy" about explosive sounds in my headphones, since recent experiences with HP volume bursts.  They left me with tinnitus and high frequency deficits, so I am looking for ways to avoid anymore rattling of my head. I think that's what has gotten me thinking about hybrid rigs or a return to room speakers.  In either case, both of your responses have encouraged me to pursue things further.

Jun 13, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #11,117 of 151,716
  @Jason Stoddard

Did you notice the reflection of the vali 2 in this image is wrong? I just noticed it and thought it was wierd having just watched the video on how the photographer spends so much time to get the reflections just right, this one must be a photoshop job. 

@leesure is their photographer, I would guess he has the answer.  His stuff is usually flawless.  

As a photographer I have spent hours trying to get a shot right working on subtle little changes to control lighting and reflections, you assume it goes unnoticed outside of the photography crowd.  Im suprised anyone noticed this, you must have been studying it pretty closely.  

Jun 13, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #11,119 of 151,716
@leesure
 is their photographer, I would guess he has the answer.  His stuff is usually flawless.  

As a photographer I have spent hours trying to get a shot right working on subtle little changes to control lighting and reflections, you assume it goes unnoticed outside of the photography crowd.  Im suprised anyone noticed this, you must have been studying it pretty closely.  

I have done graphic design for work in the past and I'm currently in school for it, so I usually notice that stuff.

Jun 13, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #11,120 of 151,716

So yes, it was very well worth going, and I'm looking forward to the next show, where we can (hopefully) rectify the inequity between electronics cost and speaker cost. The Salk speakers were $2900. Our stack was $4000. I'd much rather see the stack at a lower cost than the speakers. Much lower.

Words I live by since buying my first speakers 15 years ago. I usually advice friend getting a decent system to use the 50/50 rule: at least 50% of the budget to speakers and what remains towards all the rest. In case of adding vinyl 40/60 is more realistic I would say.

Also: hurry up with the speaker amp already :wink:  I have friend of mine on hold for an amp (he has one on loan though) to power his new system. 

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #11,121 of 151,716
  @Jason Stoddard

Did you notice the reflection of the vali 2 in this image is wrong? I just noticed it and thought it was wierd having just watched the video on how the photographer spends so much time to get the reflections just right, this one must be a photoshop job. 

Actually, you've stumbled upon the non-euclidian planar-disruptive continuum-shift technology at the heart of the (Redacted)/Gadget. Shhh...

Jun 13, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #11,122 of 151,716

Actually, you've stumbled upon the non-euclidian planar-disruptive continuum-shift technology at the heart of the (Redacted)/Gadget. Shhh...

Say what? 
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #11,123 of 151,716
Ok, final edit. There were some slight things that were bothering me about it last night, but I got them fixed up (except the knob, still too hard). @Jason Stoddard feel free to use this on your site. If you're feeling generous I would love to rock a schiit shirt :D

Heres the back as well.

Jun 14, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #11,124 of 151,716

Good to know about both. I've had some sense of the visceral capability of my Audeze LCD-Xs and I do want to add a used pair of hd800s to my rig.  But, maybe it's best to say I've grown "cannon-shy" about explosive sounds in my headphones, since recent experiences with HP volume bursts.  They left me with tinnitus and high frequency deficits, so I am looking for ways to avoid anymore rattling of my head. I think that's what has gotten me thinking about hybrid rigs or a return to room speakers.  In either case, both of your responses have encouraged me to pursue things further.

One thing to note about head rattling and such…

It doesn't HAVE to be LOUD!
In fact the better the SQ the less LOUD the acoustic presentation becomes at any particular DRC (aka moar knob) setting.

IOW as the system is able to present a more accurate signal to the headphones, then to my ears, the less LOUD it gets.
That isn't to say it doesn't get MOAR, but as the acoustic cues we associate with LOUD are reduced, the greater the dynamic range becomes and this improvement reaches down in volume as well as up.
Thus the perception of 'extra dynamic range' goes both ways.

I associate this with Listener Fatigue and call it tLFF (the Listener Fatigue Factor).
And as the tLFF is reduced the greater the usable (and effective) the dynamic range becomes.

But like I said ya gotta work at it.

JJ

Jun 14, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #11,126 of 151,716

.... often called dark matter which sometimes turns to dark energy due to quantum entanglement which restricts the power output, but compensates with a glorious midrange effect.

Jun 14, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #11,128 of 151,716
IMO you need to lower the opacity of the reflections by 20% or so.  Too intense: looks fake; unless it is supposed to be sitting on a mirror.

Quote:
  Ok, final edit. There were some slight things that were bothering me about it last night, but I got them fixed up (except the knob, still too hard). @Jason Stoddard feel free to use this on your site. If you're feeling generous I would love to rock a schiit shirt :D

Heres the back as well.

I

Jun 14, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #11,130 of 151,716
IMO you need to lower the opacity of the reflections by 20% or so. Too intense: looks fake; unless it is supposed to be sitting on a mirror.

Those are the reflections taken from the magni 2 Uber and tweaked to look like the vali 2, the reflections are that intense on purpose from the photographer. I watched a video by him on how he photographs schiit products and he uses a piece of black glass or acrylic for the reflection. All of their other stuff looks like that as well, but for some reason I don't think the vali 2 was professionally photographed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back