Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 12, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #11,104 of 153,391
Good monitors can be had for a few hundred dollars a pair, good subs start reasonably as well. And they can be upgraded separately, another value advantage. I run my system with a Ragnarok, using the SE pre-outs to my subs, and I have a system I am very happy listening to. Of course, Jason keeps talking about dedicated 2-channel gear, with remote volume, and maybe even a balance control?

I'm presently using a Gumby/Mjolnir2 stack for my headphones and looking at how to get the most out its capabilities, thus the earlier question about near field speakers.  Another question I've wondered about is how to capture as much of the visceral feel of room speakers while listening with HPs and whether running a subwoofer alone with my HPs would provide at least the low frequency enhancement.  A powered sub like an REL T series could run from the MJ2 pre-outs, just as you describe using your Ragnarok.

I'd be interested in thoughts or experiences about this amalgamation or direction to a more appropriate thread if this is too OT.

Jun 12, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #11,105 of 153,391
  I'm also not clear about their inputs from their spec sheet or images on their site?  I'm not familiar with the SpeakOn inputs they describe. Have liked the design philosophy attributed to their products.

SpeakOn are Neutrik connectors common in the pro-sound industry.  http://www.neutrik.com/en/speakon/

Jun 12, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #11,106 of 153,391
  Where did you order them from? I don't have perfect corners and have wondered about the T5i's?

For reasons that are specific to my equipment and room, I've ordered them through an AV installer who I've worked with. After some discussion of the particulars, we settled on the T7is. 

Jun 12, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #11,107 of 153,391
  I'm also not clear about their inputs from their spec sheet or images on their site?  I'm not familiar with the SpeakOn inputs they describe. Have liked the design philosophy attributed to their products.

Their preferred connection is in parallel with the main speakers, details here http://rel.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/REL_Serie_Ti_Manual_NON_STB_04-15.pdf

Jun 12, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #11,108 of 153,391
  For reasons that are specific to my equipment and room, I've ordered them through an AV installer who I've worked with. After some discussion of the particulars, we settled on the T7is. 

Proper installation is critical to the best performance from any subwoofer.  Congrats on going with a pro, always the best thing to do IMO.

Jun 12, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #11,109 of 153,391
Another question I've wondered about is how to capture as much of the visceral feel of room speakers while listening with HPs

http://www.smyth-research.com/

of course announcing the next gen product probably kills current SVS A8 sales - maybe there will be used A8's when the A16 ships

Jun 12, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #11,110 of 153,391
  SpeakOn are Neutrik connectors common in the pro-sound industry.  http://www.neutrik.com/en/speakon/

Their preferred connection is in parallel with the main speakers, details here http://rel.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/REL_Serie_Ti_Manual_NON_STB_04-15.pdf

Thanks to both of you for being such helpful consultants and to @US Blues for responding to my initial query. As I understand the Ti manual, the Ragnarok would be capable of driving the Ti through the SpeakOn connector while driving the main speakers from the same binding posts and the high impedance of the Ti prevents any impact on the Ragnarok output to the passive main speakers. 

With my Mj2 I would need to connect the Ti using a phono cable through the low level input to the R or L channel of the MJ2 RCA pre-amp output.  This bypasses cross-over design of Ti and feeds just a mono signal to the Ti, effectively bypassing critical Ti design features built around receiving same signal as the main speakers.  Looks like the Ti subs will need to wait for further amp upgrades as I'm enjoying the tube output of the MJ2 and just getting tuned into it.  Good thing I have a "Future Considerations"  file.

Jun 12, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #11,111 of 153,391

Ah, I always like to hear about prototypes being scrapped.  That inevitably leads to a better design.  And I don't want any stinking fans. 
biggrin.gif

And then you have a mechanical spinny thing just waiting to bone you on your 5-year warranty.

Instead of buying new $800 laptops, I buy used $3200 Windows ones that are a few years old (I look for guys who resell ones from businesses (think CNN) that issue them to employees who then never use them - probably bringing their own Mac and then several years later, accounting has depreciated them and issues a new replacement to sit in the drawer.)

Anyway, the thing that ALWAYS goes first on these is the FAN.

Jun 12, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #11,112 of 153,391
I'm presently using a Gumby/Mjolnir2 stack for my headphones and looking at how to get the most out its capabilities, thus the earlier question about near field speakers.  Another question I've wondered about is how to capture as much of the visceral feel of room speakers while listening with HPs and whether running a subwoofer alone with my HPs would provide at least the low frequency enhancement.  A powered sub like an REL T series could run from the MJ2 pre-outs, just as you describe using your Ragnarok.

I'd be interested in thoughts or experiences about this amalgamation or direction to a more appropriate thread if this is too OT.

I sometimes listen to headphones while my speakers and sub are playing; and occasionally with my power amp off, so that the preamp is still feeding the sub. That way I can get viscerally felt bass, which headphones alone can't provide.

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #11,113 of 153,391
It IS possible to get a visceral feeling from 800's.
They can rattle my head and I can feel it in my chest as well.

When they fire off those cannons (1812 overture) or fire off those other explosives (Ein Straussfest on Telarc) it can create body reactions and involuntary jerks that are most impressive.

But you do have to work to get your system to deliver this level of performance…

JJ

Jun 13, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #11,114 of 153,391
@Jason Stoddard

Did you notice the reflection of the vali 2 in this image is wrong? I just noticed it and thought it was wierd having just watched the video on how the photographer spends so much time to get the reflections just right, this one must be a photoshop job. 

Jun 13, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #11,115 of 153,391
  @Jason Stoddard

Did you notice the reflection of the vali 2 in this image is wrong? I just noticed it and thought it was wierd having just watched the video on how the photographer spends so much time to get the reflections just right, this one must be a photoshop job. 

@Jason Stoddard

I did my best to fix it up, only thing I couldnt get right was the knob, too tricky for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back