Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 21, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #111,257 of 150,605
From what I can see, SBAF discusses most of the topics talked about on this thread....

But.... and its a big but...... God help you if you talk about an off topic subject on a thread....They really really really want their threads to stay on topic. So they have many threads, and rooms, and channels.

And thats cool, I enjoy both sites.

Feb 21, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #111,258 of 150,605
Someone mentioned that on Friday, but when I looked at the FAQs for what I wanted to use it for, it said that you can use it for 2 Amps but why not use a Y Splitter. If it is better all the way around to use a SYS I can just order that. The FAQ threw me off
I use it both ways, though they say to keep the pot all the way up in reverse.
I prefer it as it prevents explosions from both amps being on at the same time.
I’ve never soldered or modded. I think I’d like to purchase a Modi Multibit 1 someday and try mods available for it. Any suggestions on where to start learning and on soldering setup?

I can’t say my hands are the most steady, but I could still see how soldering goes
Go to schiit dot com, products, accessories schwag, COASTERS.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #111,259 of 150,605
Did that Onkyo have the "opto coupling"? Their marketing guys should have won awards for that. Their engineers, not so much. :laughing:
no opto coupling on mine… :) what kind of hack was that!?

Feb 21, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #111,260 of 150,605
…Figured starting with the basics was an okay suggestion :)
My comment was not intended to disagree with a useful video you had recommended. I was more thinking about the fact that he was wanting to modify a Modi Multibit, with SMT, as his first modding project and not thinking enough about his overall lack of experience. :beerchug:

Feb 21, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #111,261 of 150,605
Electrical tape is your friend here, tape red around each of the three connectors on one Y splitter, and white around each of the three connectors on the other Y splitter. I have done this on the non-split non-coloured RCAs from my amp as well, makes it very easy to move things around without having to worry about any L/R switchage.

I use heat shrink tubing for the same purpose as well as to hold cotton braid in place on fancier cables. Often adhesive lined. For keeping track of wires I use paint pens, it helps with eight wire braids like this one for @Evelyn Marie. F5971301-F529-4942-8AEB-6515A3EDA9BD.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #111,262 of 150,605
It's the Urd Mentality...
Of course you realize that some of us are waiting diligently for your full review of Urd in that beautifully organized system of yours. :smirk_cat:

Feb 21, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #111,264 of 150,605
Of course you realize that some of us are waiting diligently for your full review of Urd in that beautifully organized system of yours. :smirk_cat:

Within the constraints of your NDA, of course.

JC

Feb 21, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #111,265 of 150,605
Wait. They had him sign a No Digital Audio agreement before they sent him an URD? Is he only allowed to look at it? :confused:

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #111,266 of 150,605
I do believe you are correct, what I was talking about yesterday was thirty year old gear, nothing that might compete with current Schiit products. When I ran a DAC comparison not long ago Jason asked for the results and I only gave those out privately. I made sure two Schiit DACS were included and I mentioned one did very well. Some time back I ran a tube experiment with @bcowen and helped Jason do something similar in a shoot out. He has a very open mind and respects other product IMHO. I do try to respect the fact that this thread is about Schiit products so I feel more comfortable talking about speakers or turntables since they are not on the Schiit product list. I may do an amp comparison down the road and see who can discern which amps are tube and which are solid state and that would be easy to talk about since it might only boil down to how many each person got correct and which amps tended to fool people. :ksc75smile:
I think too, to clarify my earlier statement, discussion is likely OK but if anyone wants specific and detailed info, and a back and forth on other products, better results could probably be had in more specific fora. (Or not :thinking:)

* thought I'd get some Latin in there as we haven't discussed my in Latin of late

Feb 21, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #111,267 of 150,605
I think too, to clarify my earlier statement, discussion is likely OK but if anyone wants specific and detailed info, and a back and forth on other products, better results could probably be had in more specific fora. (Or not :thinking:)

* thought I'd get some Latin in there as we haven't discussed my in Latin of late
Caveat Emptor! Per Diem! Ad absurdum tubeous! :sweat_smile:

Feb 21, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #111,268 of 150,605
I’m not fully sure. I had asked someone what DACs they like paired with the Magni Piety and a modded Mimby was mentioned but the mod portion wasn’t elaborated on
@StimpyWan
I have more info now. These are the mods that someone else did and I was interested in finding out what differences they make and so on.
3 Modi Multibit 1s:

1. v1.1 with (2) 2156 I/V (U17 & U18) and (1) 1656 Servo (U20) need new FW

2. v1.1 with (2) 2156 I/V (U17 & U18) and (1) TL082 Servo Change TL082 to 1656 need new FW

3. v1.0 with (2) 1656 I/V (U17 & U18) and (1) TL082 Servo Change TL082 to 1656 need new FW

All of this is foreign to me except for understanding need new FW means need new firmware

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #111,269 of 150,605
Feb 21, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #111,270 of 150,605

There are other forums on Head-Fi?

I guess there may be, but this is where all the cool kids hang out...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back