Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 21, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #111,226 of 150,587
When I brought up that other brand R2R I think it was more about learning. I wasn’t thinking asking about it being rude. I feel the group here is experienced in the hobby, whereas I’m still new to this hobby. I see now how it was rude on my part to ask about it here. I like this bunch and of course I like Schiit very much (I hope that is obvious)
If any one here was what I call"broffended" by your post I suggest they look in a mirror. Because people like that will look at every one and every where but the mirror with the express purpose of being offended. The mirror is their bane, their personal Picture of Dorian Gray.

It is a hobby. Have fun with it my young friend!

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #111,227 of 150,587
Yes, heat rises.
My father (mechanical engineer) always corrected me when I said "Heat rises". He'd say "hot air rises". One of these days I'll figure that one out :)

Feb 21, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #111,228 of 150,587
Thank you - we didn't have Desert Star, but we do now!
One of the best of the Ballard/Bosch books and an interesting insight into 73 year old Harry's possible future. I eagerly await all of Connelly's books no matter who is the main character. The Poet is a favorite and Harry is nowhere to be seen. Same for Blood Work, great book that Clint Eastwood made a terrible movie out of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 21, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #111,229 of 150,587
I’ve never soldered or modded. I think I’d like to purchase a Modi Multibit 1 someday and try mods available for it. Any suggestions on where to start learning and on soldering setup?

I can’t say my hands are the most steady, but I could still see how soldering goes

Feb 21, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #111,230 of 150,587
It is a hobby. Have fun with it my young friend!

Lol, I might be older than you, ORT. I’m 44, my wife and I just don’t have kids, so I think I’m still young. Our two cats passed in 2021. We just have our 3 dogs and 1 foster dog now. (Husky. Never had one before, they are a package 😅)

Feb 21, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #111,231 of 150,587
Some of this started when @bcowen and I showed a couple work areas lol. In my case I have little room to work on audio gear if I do not have a clean space. Some of my tools are organized because they came that way. :ksc75smile: My work area for tubes is generally a mess but I use a cheap rack to hold most tools so once again I have a work area. Because of all the woodworking I do I use compressed air to blow sawdust out of my shop on occasion so I cannot have small pieces laying loose around the shop. I help others with audio gear so I make sure I do not scratch cabinets or face plates so yes I might even use a silicone pad or carpet square to protect some gear. It is not like I have pegboard with a drawing around each tool so it is returned to the original spot. :ksc75smile:
I believe the technical term for what @bcowen practices is "vertically integrated workflow."

Due to the rather limited real estate his desk provides him with in the horizontal dimension, he is tempted to pile stuff upon stuff whenever he wants to work on something new.
As a positive side effect of this, he is forced to adopt the concept of LIFO (last in first out), lest he would risk getting buried under a rather painful avalanche of unfinished projects whenever he were to attempt to pull something out of the middle of his pile. This serves as additional motivation to actually finish something for a change.

It's rather nifty, his whole approach!

You and I, we simply think too much in just two dimensions. That's why we have to resort to such rather primitive solutions as cleaning up our work areas before we begin something new.
As much as it pains me to admit this to myself, but it takes a certain innate talent as well as decades of dedication and practice for one to eventually become adept enough in one's ability to think three-dimensionally so as to be able to operate on such an advanced level as @bcowen does.

I can only gape at him in deep awe and sincere admiration. And I find myself clutching onto a sense of hope that with enough practice I, too, may one day be able to finally step out of his shadow and start piling with such confidence.

Until then, I will always treasure the photo of his desk that I keep pinned to my vision board.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #111,232 of 150,587
I’ve never soldered or modded. I think I’d like to purchase a Modi Multibit 1 someday and try mods available for it. Any suggestions on where to start learning and on soldering setup?

I can’t say my hands are the most steady, but I could still see how soldering goes
Lots of good soldering videos on Youtube.

It doesn't hurt to practice on something sacrificial that you found at the thrift store.

I've found that soldering is much easier for me, than desoldering. If you're modding, you'll be doing just as much desoldering as soldering.

Feb 21, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #111,233 of 150,587
I work for a large manufacturer. We had to organize our offices as well as factory floor. Believe it or not we had to shadow box our desks. Spot for monitor. Spot for keyboard. And yes spot for stapler. Honest to god I don’t know how we find time to build products.

Were they Swingline staplers...? 🤣

61Karh0a+uL.jpg

Feb 21, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #111,234 of 150,587
Lots of good soldering videos on Youtube.

It doesn't hurt to practice on something sacrificial that you found at the thrift store.

I've found that soldering is much easier for me, than desoldering. If you're modding, you'll be doing just as much desoldering as soldering.

Good advice. I can offer d soldering techniques if PM’d. I used to have computer shops pay me to remove and replace caps in main boards because it was challenging.🤪

Feb 21, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #111,235 of 150,587

This is a decent overview of the basics from Doc B over at Bottlehead

Feb 21, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #111,237 of 150,587
Lol, I might be older than you, ORT. I’m 44, my wife and I just don’t have kids, so I think I’m still young. Our two cats passed in 2021. We just have our 3 dogs and 1 foster dog now. (Husky. Never had one before, they are a package 😅)

In truth, I am more than old enough to be your father but thank you all the same! :beerchug:
I would very much like to have a cat but after our son's dog passed on at 16+ years of age, my wife announced that was it...No more pets and when I die, no more husbands. I still want a Maine Coon Cat but they are $$$$ and I fear I have used up more than a few of my own lives and getting a cat would be my doom, LOL!

In all ways and for always, be well my friend! And...

...Enjoy the music!

Feb 21, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #111,238 of 150,587
I believe the technical term for what @bcowen practices is "vertically integrated workflow."

Due to the rather limited real estate his desk provides him with in the horizontal dimension, he is tempted to pile stuff upon stuff whenever he wants to work on something new.
As a positive side effect of this, he is forced to adopt the concept of LIFO (last in first out), lest he would risk getting buried under a rather painful avalanche of unfinished projects whenever he were to attempt to pull something out of the middle of his pile. This serves as additional motivation to actually finish something for a change.

It's rather nifty, his whole approach!

You and I, we simply think too much in just two dimensions. That's why we have to resort to such rather primitive solutions as cleaning up our work areas before we begin something new.
As much as it pains me to admit this to myself, but it takes a certain innate ability as well as decades of dedication and practice for one to eventually become adept enough in one's ability to think three-dimensionally so as to be able to operate on such an advanced level as @bcowen does.

I can only gape at him in deep awe and sincere admiration. And I find myself clutching onto a sense of hope that with enough practice I, too, may one day be able to finally step out of his shadow and start piling with such confidence.

Until then, I will always treasure the photo of his desk that I keep pinned to my vision board.
I make use of vertical space but in the form of cabinets and shelves. :ksc75smile: A friend gave me two brand new cabinets years ago, they were samples a hospital was thinking about using, very well made. I also have a work bench with built in shelves that I gave little for, it pays to have friends.

A vertical space for me, this is my tube and cable area.

C3F8ABF6-11E0-4DE2-974B-F8F382D7E069.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #111,239 of 150,587

Just for the heck of it I've been watching a few Modi multibit ones on ebay and one sold for the original asking price of $250 and another sold for over $250. The old MM1 is still in demand.

Feb 21, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #111,240 of 150,587

Interesting. What mods are available for the Mimby...? :thinking:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back