Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 21, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #111,212 of 150,605
When I brought up that other brand R2R I think it was more about learning. I wasn’t thinking asking about it being rude. I feel the group here is experienced in the hobby, whereas I’m still new to this hobby. I see now how it was rude on my part to ask about it here. I like this bunch and of course I like Schiit very much (I hope that is obvious)

Feb 21, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #111,213 of 150,605
When I brought up that other brand R2R I think it was more about learning. I wasn’t thinking asking about it being rude. I feel the group here is experienced in the hobby, whereas I’m still new to this hobby. I see now how it was rude on my part to ask about it here. I like this bunch and of course I like Schiit very much (I hope that is obvious)
FWIW I didn't consider you question rude in the slightest. There's quite a bit of chatter on this thread about non-Schiit gear.

Feb 21, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #111,216 of 150,605
I was a young manager of ten engineers or so when my boss assigned me to “make the whole office neater.” He particularly hated books and loose paper lying horizontally in book cases. He had about 100 total employees and they all took their ire out on me, demanding concrete rules before they would act. I told them that everything in a bookcase must be within 15 degrees of vertical and I measured it. Next they demanded a rule for how neat a desk must be. I chose a popular manager who had a reasonable desk and stated that, “Every desk must be as neat as Rich‘s desk!” This horrified Rich but my boss agreed, Rich’s desk became the model.
My company went through the "5S" thing, too. It helped to organize our factories, but not so much the offices. It just didn't make sense to write up an audit observation for "stapler on desk but outside of designated space."

Feb 21, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #111,217 of 150,605
Don't worry about it for one second. No one really cares. To answer your question, I do not own that DAC, but Stereophile liked it.

Feb 21, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #111,218 of 150,605
I work for a large manufacturer. We had to organize our offices as well as factory floor. Believe it or not we had to shadow box our desks. Spot for monitor. Spot for keyboard. And yes spot for stapler. Honest to god I don’t know how we find time to build products.

Feb 21, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #111,219 of 150,605
Relax, I don't think that anyone got actually offended by your "rudeness." ;p

Other products do exist, that's just the nature of things. Well, at least outside of your usual centrally planned economy, that is.

And as others have already mentioned before: It is Schiit's very much official and often-repeated position that you should always feel free to buy products from other manufacturers if you happen to prefer them. No hard feelings.

Most companies (especially in the field of audio, but also in general) tend to say something akin to that, but usually don't do so without a rather (un-)healthy dose of flippancy added to the mix.
At least in those cases, it really would be quite rude of you if you were to remind them that other mothers have beautiful daughters, too.
(…to misuse an in this context ever so slightly creepy German proverb that I'm not sure actually exists in English.)

And you know why Schiit can actually take that position without any flippancy, hurt feelings, or even just a hint of ironic undertone?
Because they worked incredibly hard for the past 12 years to be in a position…
…where you will have to shop for competing products that are considerably more expensive to find something that's actually as good or better than Schiit's equivalent, …
…or where you get considerably less value for a similar amount of your money.

And they didn't get there by accident either. They eventually managed to get to that point because the entire business is founded by, run by, and staffed by folks who actually care about audio first, and the bottom line second. I know, it's hard to believe, but they really are that naive over there in Valencia and Corpus Christy!
To me, Schiit serves as conclusive proof that it is actually good for your business if you put product quality and respecting your customers over quantity and the constant hunt for short-term gains. I know this feels counter-intuitive these days, but you really only have to observe these folks do their thing for a little while to realize that it really works.

And now please allow me to pull my head back out of Schiit's arse.
Smells surprisingly good in here, though.
Like sacred cow BBQ! 🤤

Feb 21, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #111,220 of 150,605
I power-read thru the entire Bosch book series not long ago - that was a blast. May have to do it again, with the music. :)
I've read and reread all of Michael Connelly's books since I read his first Bosch book in 1992. Don't stop with just his Harry Bosch novels.
Looking forward to the new Bosch/Haller book in November that was set up in the last book, Desert Star. I can't watch the TV series though, inferior to the books.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 21, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #111,221 of 150,605
My company went through the "5S" thing, too. It helped to organize our factories, but not so much the offices. It just didn't make sense to write up an audit observation for "stapler on desk but outside of designated space."
I love this! The next time we are told to tidy up I intend to make a shadow board for all the stuff on my desk!

Feb 21, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #111,222 of 150,605
I work for a large manufacturer. We had to organize our offices as well as factory floor. Believe it or not we had to shadow box our desks. Spot for monitor. Spot for keyboard. And yes spot for stapler. Honest to god I don’t know how we find time to build products.
Some of this started when @bcowen and I showed a couple work areas lol. In my case I have little room to work on audio gear if I do not have a clean space. Some of my tools are organized because they came that way. :ksc75smile: My work area for tubes is generally a mess but I use a cheap rack to hold most tools so once again I have a work area. Because of all the woodworking I do I use compressed air to blow sawdust out of my shop on occasion so I cannot have small pieces laying loose around the shop. I help others with audio gear so I make sure I do not scratch cabinets or face plates so yes I might even use a silicone pad or carpet square to protect some gear. It is not like I have pegboard with a drawing around each tool so it is returned to the original spot. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #111,223 of 150,605
I love this! The next time we are told to tidy up I intend to make a shadow board for all the stuff on my desk!
Careful - it can get oppressive. People had taped outlines on their desks for: stapler, 3-hole punch, telephone. You know - aargh!

Feb 21, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #111,225 of 150,605
I've read and reread all of Michael Connelly's books since I read his first Bosch book in 1992. Don't stop with just his Harry Bosch novels.
Looking forward to the new Bosch/Haller book in November that was set up in the last book, Desert Star. I can't watch the TV series though, inferior to the books.
Thank you - we didn't have Desert Star, but we do now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back