Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 21, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #111,272 of 150,605
Check the thread Hacking Schiit on the friendly site. Basically it's opamp and servo replacement.
I went there and read. Wow. Opening up $100 to $250 devices and swapping tiny components and talking about what certainly must be subtle changes. I admire them, but I’m going back to my 1960 Magnavox tube amps and my Vidar.

Feb 21, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #111,273 of 150,605
I've owned Soekris dac1541, which is one step above the 1421, and I now own the 2541, which is the current top of the line. These are good discrete resistor array DACs (in contrast to the chip-based Schiit multibit designs), with a clever sign-magnitude design that improves zero-crossing distortion. From my 1541 and 2541 experience, they sound a bit less edgy, more rounded in the transients, but more neutral than the Schiit multibit DACs I've owned (original Bifrost multibit, and original Yggdrasil with the A2 upgrade). However, that asking price is way too high for a used 1421, I've seen used 1541s going for less than that, and 2541s for $750-800.

Feb 21, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #111,274 of 150,605
Anyone of you tube-o-philes going to try the new multichannel amp featured in the back ads of TAS?

All that glass puts the Folkvangr to shame! :-D

Schiit should have made that instead (ducks).

Feb 21, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #111,275 of 150,605
I won't absolutely speak for our generous host, but usually a discussion about the merits or otherwise of other equipment is OK, as long as its polite and doesn't devolve into a schiit fight.
In that spirit, if I were on the market for a DAC in the $500-600 range, I'd stretch and get a new Bifrost. The old Soekris dac1541 and the current dac2541 fill the gap between the Bifrost and the Yggdrasil price-wise, and maybe resolution-wise. They sound sufficiently different from the Schiit multibit sound that it's quite possible you'd like one brand and not the other. For me, they are both very worthy, honest DAC brands with their own house special sauce.

Feb 21, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #111,276 of 150,605
When I brought up that other brand R2R I think it was more about learning. I wasn’t thinking asking about it being rude. I feel the group here is experienced in the hobby, whereas I’m still new to this hobby. I see now how it was rude on my part to ask about it here. I like this bunch and of course I like Schiit very much (I hope that is obvious)
You were not rude at all, it's worth understanding how folks who have listened to a variety of gear perceive it. BTW, one of the unique features of the Schiit multibit DACs is their proprietary upsampling filter (the so-called "combo-burrito filtters"), which in my experience give those DACs their punchy dynamics and fast transients, while Soekris upsampling is more of a mix-and-match thing, to the point that one can (with care) replace the factory filters with DIY ones, but in general the transients are a bit more rounded and the dynamics more sedate. One way to think about it: I can work long hours while listening through a Soekris-based chain, but a Schiit-multibit-based chain demands full attention -- which is great if I'm trying to avoid work :ksc75smile:

Feb 21, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #111,277 of 150,605
You were not rude at all, it's worth understanding how folks who have listened to a variety of gear perceive it. BTW, one of the unique features of the Schiit multibit DACs is their proprietary upsampling filter (the so-called "combo-burrito filtters"), which in my experience give those DACs their punchy dynamics and fast transients, while Soekris upsampling is more of a mix-and-match thing, to the point that one can (with care) replace the factory filters with DIY ones, but in general the transients are a bit more rounded and the dynamics more sedate. One way to think about it: I can work long hours while listening through a Soekris-based chain, but a Schiit-multibit-based chain demands full attention -- which is great if I'm trying to avoid work :ksc75smile:
Cool way to break it down for me. Thank you for that!

Feb 21, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #111,278 of 150,605
I went there and read. Wow. Opening up $100 to $250 devices and swapping tiny components and talking about what certainly must be subtle changes. I admire them, but I’m going back to my 1960 Magnavox tube amps and my Vidar.
That's NOTHING!
You should see the mods I did to my dual Aegirs last year! I modded them into a pair of Tyrs!!! 😳
Best mod ever, if you asked me. And no soldering required, either! 😁

Feb 21, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #111,279 of 150,605
That's NOTHING!
You should see the mods I did to my dual Aegirs last year! I modded them into a pair of Tyrs!!! 😳
Best mod ever, if you asked me. And no soldering required, either! 😁
I'd like to do that modification, but not sure if it makes sense with efficient speakers. (97db/w)

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #111,282 of 150,605
Um. No. It never was.
I worked in the IT department of the university I was attending back in the day (late 80's-early 90's). This was our tongue-in-cheek explanation for what "Macintosh" meant, as there were frequent issues. Now, the NeXT Cubes and "pizza boxes" (as well as the OS) - works of art and beautiful to use. The aesthetics and usability were well ahead of its time. NeXT eventually got folded back into Apple when Steve Jobs rejoined, but NeXT and OS/2 were always better than Windows/DOS and other OS's of the same era, with maybe the exception of Amiga. I never used Amiga back in its heyday.

Feb 21, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #111,283 of 150,605
Gratuitous system pic, because I don't have a cat...
20230220_141704[1].jpg
Yep, finally got my Schiit together...

(been saving that joke for 999 posts.)

You should really get a cardboard box for that plate amp. Otherwise it may be a bit triggering for certain folks around here... ☺☺

Feb 21, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #111,284 of 150,605
For those interested in vintage components with DACs, browsing this site may be of interest. Along with my Yggy LiM, I own a couple of Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0 DACs that I couple via an I2S cable to their DTI units. AA was kind of like a '90s version of Schiit, American made with high quality products for reasonable money.

Thanks for the link...! Some great info there. It's fun to look up past gear, to see the chips and drives they used. Makes me wish I still had a lot of that past stuff.

Oh, my first DAC was an Audio Alchemy DAC in the Box. A nice sounding baby DAC...! :grinning:

Feb 21, 2023 at 8:16 PM Post #111,285 of 150,605
I tend to me messy and disorganized. Although, I will also claim that, like many people with those traits, I can find something in a pile in seconds.
I do want to be really neat and organized. But every time I give it a try, I can count on getting a migraine in 1-3 days....
More info: migraines started in my late teens. Mine could last hours. Eventually I found strong coffee and aspirin, or Advil when it OTC (over the counter; non-prescription in the USA). Then avoiding food triggers, chocolate, strong red wines, hard cheeses. You know, the stuff you want to eat! By my mid 30's they faded to very infrequent. Then in the mid-90s' I entered a time/sharing space business agreement with a college. After we got going I tried to renegotiate so I could have some more time. He quipped, "Steve. The whole point of us doing this is to have very overhead and enjoy a Bohemian lifestyle."
That was the message migraines were trying to tell me. I mostly pay attention...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back