Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 18, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #10,726 of 151,790

I thought about the same thing and I think that it's an interesting idea, but how would the signal be processed? By modeling a tube amp in a DSP filter to make music sound more 'analog'?

I don't think it's really a tube amp modeling, cause they (Mike & Jason) have stressed a lot that it's something truly unique.

Reading the part that I copied from the interview, I guess Mike found a way to emulate a key physical characteristic related to musical instruments, that improves over time. Just like... a guitar with a natural finish (no paint, no lacquer) tends to sound warmer over time due to dust, dirt, sweat, etc. that get accumulated over the body.

But I guess we will not be able to see The Gadget at the events Jason mentioned.

May 18, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #10,727 of 151,790
  Schiit will devise their own Class-S amplification. That's obvious.

Close but not quite. It's actually an incredibly complex new digital device that needs network access, works through an app on your phone, and also integrates with your music library. It slowly monitors your music listening habits over the course of a couple months, and using complex megafajita algorithms is able to decipher your musical preferences and knows more about your tastes than you do. During this time, it also integrates into your phone to track your movements, learning your weekly travel patterns and range, and interfacing with social media and other music sites online.

Then, the next time audiophilia nervosa strikes and you try making a purchase on gear of questionable value and merit, the app cancels your order and instead purchases tickets to a live show of your musical preference in a location near you.

Ah technology.

May 18, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #10,728 of 151,790

I vote for either ELAC or Zu Audio speakers. Great sound at a decent price. Or, if you really want to scare the gold-plated amplifier makers, you could always bring a pair of Wilson Audio speakers!

Perhaps Jason can find a pair of Odeons
900x900px-LL-75ed55d1_speakerskirkfront.jpeg

May 19, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #10,729 of 151,790
Close but not quite. It's actually an incredibly complex new digital device that needs network access, works through an app on your phone, and also integrates with your music library. It slowly monitors your music listening habits over the course of a couple months, and using complex megafajita algorithms is able to decipher your musical preferences and knows more about your tastes than you do. During this time, it also integrates into your phone to track your movements, learning your weekly travel patterns and range, and interfacing with social media and other music sites online.

Then, the next time audiophilia nervosa strikes and you try making a purchase on gear of questionable value and merit, the app cancels your order and instead purchases tickets to a live show of your musical preference in a location near you.

Ah technology.
This technology was so promising...until Microsoft acquired them. :wink:

FWIW, I hear there is an open source version including a vegetarian option with the megarelleno filter.

May 19, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #10,730 of 151,790
  Never, ever gonna happen.

This response to the suggestion of a "digital" amplifier (see NAD and possibly others) illustrates one of the most fun and appealing aspects of Schiit - Jason and Mike are characters! They have strong opinions, build exactly what they like, and damn the customer surveys and herd mentality. It doesn't hurt that they make great sounding gear at more-than-fair prices, in the USA (well, the People's Republic of Calif, but still...)

It's why I've bought a bunch of Schiit, even though some of Jason's choices seem intended to tick me off.

Hoping the two-channel stuff will mark a new direction for the brand, both in design and getting away from the absolute minimalism of features. (Can you say remote control?) The Asgard style case is a work of industrial design genius, not only form stylishly following function but allowing for simple assembly of product in a garage. However, Schiit is now a real company and far from the garage, so there's opportunity for design growth - sophisticated products that will make serious audio types overlook the scatological name. And cause fear in the hearts of boutique brands.

Oh, and guys, please hold the next Schiit Schow in a bigger venue so more of us can attend. Thanks!

May 19, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #10,731 of 151,790

I thought about the same thing and I think that it's an interesting idea, but how would the signal be processed? By modeling a tube amp in a DSP filter to make music sound more 'analog'?

There was a suggestion a few pages back that it will be a device that will retune the music from A=440hz to A=432hz, maybe without slowing it down in the process (more crude version of this can be achieved by playing the music at 98.18% speed). Aside from that, no idea what could that be.

May 19, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #10,732 of 151,790
I was looking for an instruction manual online for my old EAD CD player and the closest thing I found was the Cary Audio CD-300 manual which uses the same chassis and IR remote.

Then I looked through the manual and found this. I guess snarky humor existed before Schiit in the instruction manual.

Read number 7. I thought I misread that at first.

May 19, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #10,734 of 151,790

This response to the suggestion of a "digital" amplifier (see NAD and possibly others) illustrates one of the most fun and appealing aspects of Schiit - Jason and Mike are characters! They have strong opinions, build exactly what they like, and damn the customer surveys and herd mentality. It doesn't hurt that they make great sounding gear at more-than-fair prices, in the USA (well, the People's Republic of Calif, but still...)

It's why I've bought a bunch of Schiit, even though some of Jason's choices seem intended to tick me off.

Hoping the two-channel stuff will mark a new direction for the brand, both in design and getting away from the absolute minimalism of features. (Can you say remote control?) The Asgard style case is a work of industrial design genius, not only form stylishly following function but allowing for simple assembly of product in a garage. However, Schiit is now a real company and far from the garage, so there's opportunity for design growth - sophisticated products that will make serious audio types overlook the scatological name. And cause fear in the hearts of boutique brands.

Oh, and guys, please hold the next Schiit Schow in a bigger venue so more of us can attend. Thanks!

Remote control is a certainty. Done and done.

And yeah, the next Schiit Show will have LOTS of the new product, in both configurations, hopefully no lines (or not much in the way of lines.)

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 19, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #10,736 of 151,790
Remote control was kinda expected (at least for me) since Jason wrote about it in a rather old chapter.

Still, it's very nice to have a confirmation of that. Thanks, guys.

Now we need to start the campaign for a frontal power switch!!!

Kidding, kidding.
biggrin.gif

May 19, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #10,739 of 151,790
No comment on this for over 2 hours, I'm pretty surprised.

We're all letting it set into our brains and now our brains are too busy trying to guess what the new products are. My head is spinning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back