Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 18, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #10,711 of 153,641
  You just ensured that I'm freezing my audio equipment purchases (except for headphones) until all of that new gear comes out...

Oh that's just silly. The trick it to buy used gear that's easily recyclable for even more gear. Go satisfy that audiophile nervosa with minimal risk!

May 18, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #10,712 of 153,641

Translation for the uninitiated:
First, nothing new to show at TheShow Newport, same old, same old.
Second, SchiitShow will display Manhattan technology and feature the Gadget for the first time ever in public.
Third, at RMAF expect 2-channel wares with weird topologies at industry-spanking prices.

Does this sound about right? :)

2 out of 3.

So there will be a wildcard new entry a TheShow Newport after all! :)

May 18, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #10,713 of 153,641

So there will be a wildcard new entry a TheShow Newport after all! :)

Frankly, I'd assume nothing.
atsmile.gif

May 18, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #10,716 of 153,641

Oh that's just silly. The trick it to buy used gear that's easily recyclable for even more gear. Go satisfy that audiophile nervosa with minimal risk!

It's the same reason I don't have Amazon Prime, delayed gratification is good discipline :wink: But in reality I have 3 upgrades in process: 1) Sonore microRendu streamer waiting at home; 2) Liquid Carbon on order; 3) waiting to have time to go demo Ether Cs to confirm they are a solid upgrade on my Alpha Primes. What I'm really hoping for is a way to get a Schiit multibit DAC into my main speaker system, given how much I gained with the Bimby on my headphone setup. I won't get a G. or Y. for my current integrated amp (a Bel Canto C7R) because its "analog" inputs go through an ADC and then through its internal DAC, which obviously is not a good match for an external DAC with a very different design. So, I'm waiting to hear about the hinted-at 2-channel Schiit.

May 18, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #10,717 of 153,641
If the new 2-channel amps can take a digital input and skip the "traditional" delta-sigma DAC stage of AVR/Pre/etc, that would be huge. Maybe Schiit's superior alternative to class-D amps, without the downsides of class-D?
smily_headphones1.gif

Never, ever gonna happen.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 18, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #10,719 of 153,641
If the new 2-channel amps can take a digital input and skip the "traditional" delta-sigma DAC stage of AVR/Pre/etc, that would be huge. Maybe Schiit's superior alternative to class-D amps, without the downsides of class-D?
smily_headphones1.gif

There are already a few devices out there that do this, most commonly called power-dacs.

May 18, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #10,721 of 153,641
Hmm, after Mike's Q&A in Audiostream.com, where he states...

There is one other product that I am working on which is a new and completely different product category. It is not a D/A nor A/D converter, amplifier, DAP, nor anything resembling any product ever built in support of audio. The seeds for it were inadvertently planted when I played in a bluegrass group 50 years ago and wondered why expensive, old instruments sounded far better than newer ones. We call it “The Manhattan Project” and I have a prototype “Gadget” running which is absolutely hair raising. It operates only in the digital domain.

I think Project Manhattan is some kind of DSP device that takes any signal from a digital source and processes it in a I don't have a single clue way and then sends it to the DAC.

May 18, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #10,723 of 153,641
  I think Project Manhattan is some kind of DSP device that takes any signal from a digital source and processes it in a I don't have a single clue way and then sends it to the DAC.

I thought about the same thing and I think that it's an interesting idea, but how would the signal be processed? By modeling a tube amp in a DSP filter to make music sound more 'analog'?

May 18, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #10,724 of 153,641

"S" Class ? 

Isn't the Circlotron an "S" Class?  

Anyway, the Norther Europeans are putting a sharp focus on new Class D designs, powerfully competent amplifiers will no longer mandate High Price points. And, as one notable designer recently said "you can't have too much power" ( or words to that effect ) .  

Hmm,  and this Schiit stuff started just 5 years ago in someones Garage? 

Tony in Michigan

May 18, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #10,725 of 153,641
  First, you'll see us at TheShow Newport, with no new products. We'll be in a speaker room with Ragnarok and Yggdrasil and a set of speakers, still TBD. We have lots of great options we can choose from!

I vote for either ELAC or Zu Audio speakers. Great sound at a decent price. Or, if you really want to scare the gold-plated amplifier makers, you could always bring a pair of Wilson Audio speakers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back