Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 11, 2022 at 12:39 AM Post #105,467 of 152,776
I just opened up my Tyrs today. I got them hooked up to my 1.7is, which were previously driven with a single AHB2. No matter what people say, a single AHB2 was more than enough for my needs. However, for these maggies I do prefer the Tyrs a bit more to the AHB2. I'll be selling the AHB2 shortly. Just a few things that I feel that caught me by surprise: 1) Tyr chassis isnt exactly flawless. I see some minor scratches here and there. Would have gone with silver had I known. 2) Terminals are spread out quite far. Kinda of a pain in the butt. 3) Power cord seems rather thing compared to my other less beefy amps 4) I found out i wasn't pressing the power button hard enough and it confused me initially. 5) I quickly realized the weight rating would far exceed anything I have that was meant to hold it, so now the amps are on the floor. That's fine, but the amps run really cool and I wish there hadn't been top air vents to accumulate dust through since they're on the floor. I guess that part is on me. 6) Anyone importing this into Canada can expect to pay a minimum of 500$ in duties/taxes. 7) I expected a slight transformer humm coming out of both the units as others have reported. Sadly, I do hear the humm, but only in one unit. Its mildly distracting now that I know its coming from that. Since its only one unit doing it I know its possible to be mitigated. I guess its luck of the draw that I got one good one and one bad one.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 1:11 AM Post #105,468 of 152,776
Nvm, I probably pushed it hard enough. I think the power button needs a few extra seconds for the light on the power button to actually flip sides.

Does anybody know how the freya s compares to the ragnarok 2's preamp function? I kinda wanted a nifty all in one device, but mainly I need a good preamp above all.

Dec 11, 2022 at 1:26 AM Post #105,469 of 152,776
Night time shots of Aegir

Attachments

• 9440B2F4-DADB-4D52-A471-4DDB40990635.jpeg
    9440B2F4-DADB-4D52-A471-4DDB40990635.jpeg
    63 KB · Views: 0
  • B511F143-AEA2-4B10-A688-6AEED3AE24FE.jpeg
    B511F143-AEA2-4B10-A688-6AEED3AE24FE.jpeg
    41.3 KB · Views: 0
Dec 11, 2022 at 2:39 AM Post #105,470 of 152,776
Nvm, I probably pushed it hard enough. I think the power button needs a few extra seconds for the light on the power button to actually flip sides.

Does anybody know how the freya s compares to the ragnarok 2's preamp function? I kinda wanted a nifty all in one device, but mainly I need a good preamp above all.

As Tyr has 28dB gain, your selected preamp probably won't need more than 12dB (gain of 4) if using a DAC or phono with high-gain phono preamp. for Ragnarok 2 as a preamp, the gain setting will be either low (2) or medium (8) at the most. for Freya S, the passive mode (if using a balanced source and short XLR interconnects) could work as well as the 1x or 4x active modes, with many 2-channel users preferring the 4x mode.

The Freya S was developed exclusively for preamp use, whereas the Rag 2 being designed primarily as an integrated amp (designed to drive speaker loads) likely has higher open loop voltage and current gain and also more overall feedback.

Freya S + Bifrost 2/64 should outperform Ragnarok 2 fully loaded.

Note that direct stacking of Tyrs is not recommended as the center vent should not be obstructed.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #105,471 of 152,776
As Tyr has 28dB gain, your selected preamp probably won't need more than 12dB (gain of 4) if using a DAC or phono with high-gain phono preamp. for Ragnarok 2 as a preamp, the gain setting will be either low (2) or medium (8) at the most. for Freya S, the passive mode (if using a balanced source and short XLR interconnects) could work as well as the 1x or 4x active modes, with many 2-channel users preferring the 4x mode.

The Freya S was developed exclusively for preamp use, whereas the Rag 2 being designed primarily as an integrated amp (designed to drive speaker loads) likely has higher open loop voltage and current gain and also more overall feedback.

Freya S + Bifrost 2/64 should outperform Ragnarok 2 fully loaded.

Note that direct stacking of Tyrs is not recommended as the center vent should not be obstructed.
Thanks for the info! If I end up keeping the Tyrs I'm probably gonna grab a Freya Noval then.

Having had this up and running for a day now, im noticing im really despising the humm coming out of one of the units. I don't think i want to keep this unit. Am I able to open the lid and peak to see whats causing the humm? Or will that void warranty?

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #105,473 of 152,776
Yep a gift from my son, it still has the original rechargeable battery. I use mine as a source when testing amps.
Nice son! I watched Neil Young introduce the Pono Kickstarter campaign in Austin 2014. In the end it didn’t work out as planned - but he sure tried to push sound quality awareness. And my player still works fine :)

1670764386932.jpeg

Dec 11, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #105,474 of 152,776
Nice son! I watched Neil Young introduce the Pono Kickstarter campaign in Austin 2014. In the end it didn’t work out as planned - but he sure tried to push sound quality awareness. And my player still works fine :)

1670764386932.jpeg
I want to say each had one of Young's albums on it when sold. I believe mine had Harvest Moon. My son also downloaded a few albums from the music service they had at the time, a blue light comes on when you play one of those albums. Young also signed some of the players.

Dec 11, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #105,476 of 152,776
Thanks for the info! If I end up keeping the Tyrs I'm probably gonna grab a Freya Noval then.

Having had this up and running for a day now, im noticing im really despising the humm coming out of one of the units. I don't think i want to keep this unit. Am I able to open the lid and peak to see whats causing the humm? Or will that void warranty?
Don’t know if this will help with the hum situation. You could try a different wall socket

Schiit has this on the site
Got hum? It could be a ground loop. Try a ground loop isolator or EbTech HumX to eliminate it.

Dec 11, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #105,477 of 152,776

Opening lid may expose live electrical circuits / hazardous voltages as well as void warranty.
Hum is likely coming from transformer and/or the series power input choke. Either way, those parts custom made for schiit by a magnetics OEM supplier and swapping those out is best performed by an experienced electronics tech or engineer. High power done wrong = boom.

You might also try CMX-2 emotiva powerline DC offset eliminator.

If it needs to go back for service, they may be able to provide shipping forms to avoid Canadian customs duties on the repaired unit

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #105,478 of 152,776

You should email Schiit first before opening it up. Maybe they can help you troubleshoot before having to send it back. I had a microsd card slide into the chassis of my Bifrost 2, so I emailed them and they said I could open it once without voiding warranty.

Dec 11, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #105,479 of 152,776
When I replaced my Freya with a Don Sachs Linestage a hum developed that Don thought was probably from a ground loop. At the time I was using dual Vidars, which Don said was overkill (he was right). I bought a CI-2RR: https://www.cs1.net/products/jensen_transformers/CI-2RR.htm. This greatly reduced the hum. Going back to dual monos with the Tyrs I bought a single CI-1RR to handle the farther Tyr: https://www.cs1.net/products/jensen_transformers/CI-1RR.htm. They make a "PI" balanced version of both. Be aware that the input cable can be any length, but the output cable cannot be longer than 3 feet.

I just removed them for a quick test. They were put back in within seconds.

https://www.cs1.net/learn/jensen_transformers_application_guide.htm

Dec 11, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #105,480 of 152,776
Depending on the music there is a decay in sound even in the spaces between music. It is not as though all sound suddenly ceases, it occurs in waves.😜

I am watching basketball so I hope that made sense.😀
Watching basketball doesn't make sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back