Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 5, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #104,941 of 152,173
Before Amazon started making their own deliveries, UPS and USPS in my area were absolutely hammered this time of year. Covid also caused people to order more items from home. Packages sometimes went from UPS to USPS and would be delivered on Sundays.

I did have issues with a Fed Ex driver who never seemed to be able to deliver cases of wine to me, they would be returned to the shipper. He made claims that we were not home and my security system showed he never so much as drove down my street or approached my house lol. That was more of a problem with an individual, not a company. He was moved to another route and all is well again.
What gets me about Amazon is that they say that they will deliver something on Sunday. Well, technically it's true. Amazon dumps their shipping container full of parcels off at the local post office just after midnight on Sunday so they delivered "on time". I see my things most likely on Tuesday as the local PO digs out from the Amazon "deliveries" and is able to get to me the following day. Also, the local PO has been running extremely short staffed all year long and then some. Not only due to Covid, but the cost of living is so outrageous here that they cannot pay people a living wage to live and work here. Carriers from the other POs in the area come here to help deliver when they're done with their routes.

I've had a couple things disappear after the PO says it's out for delivery. I had to navigate the USPS website in order to find a way to open a service ticket with the tracking number. Then, after 2-3 days they find my item and deliver it. Last month I had to go to the PO to sign for a package. They were supposed to be open at 8:30. I show up at 8:45 and there's already a line almost out the door waiting for them to open. At 9:00 one guy pokes his head out the side door, sees the line and makes a little squeek before going back in and closing the door. About five minutes later they open the gate at the counter and that one guy tries to handle the crowd. About ten minutes after that, another worker nonchalantly glides up to the counter and casually opens her till and takes customers about five minutes after that.

They (most of them anyway) are busting their rear ends out there delivering things and I try to remember that this is another first world problem.

Dec 5, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #104,943 of 152,173
What gets me about Amazon is that they say that they will deliver something on Sunday. Well, technically it's true. Amazon dumps their shipping container full of parcels off at the local post office just after midnight on Sunday so they delivered "on time". I see my things most likely on Tuesday as the local PO digs out from the Amazon "deliveries" and is able to get to me the following day. Also, the local PO has been running extremely short staffed all year long and then some. Not only due to Covid, but the cost of living is so outrageous here that they cannot pay people a living wage to live and work here. Carriers from the other POs in the area come here to help deliver when they're done with their routes.

I've had a couple things disappear after the PO says it's out for delivery. I had to navigate the USPS website in order to find a way to open a service ticket with the tracking number. Then, after 2-3 days they find my item and deliver it. Last month I had to go to the PO to sign for a package. They were supposed to be open at 8:30. I show up at 8:45 and there's already a line almost out the door waiting for them to open. At 9:00 one guy pokes his head out the side door, sees the line and makes a little squeek before going back in and closing the door. About five minutes later they open the gate at the counter and that one guy tries to handle the crowd. About ten minutes after that, another worker nonchalantly glides up to the counter and casually opens her till and takes customers about five minutes after that.

They (most of them anyway) are busting their rear ends out there delivering things and I try to remember that this is another first world problem.
I invest heavily in a drone company that was the first to be approved for civilian use over long distances. I am not sure whatever happened to Amazon delivering by drones but it may having to do with people taking shots at the devices as they fly over or following one till they drop a package in a driveway. :ksc75smile: I am sure someone here will know the answer. :L3000:

Dec 5, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #104,944 of 152,173
I invest heavily in a drone company that was the first to be approved for civilian use over long distances. I am not sure whatever happened to Amazon delivering by drones but it may having to do with people taking shots at the devices as they fly over or following one till they drop a package in a driveway. :ksc75smile: I am sure someone here will know the answer. :L3000:

I’m just a caveman, easily frightened by flying machines… but: (1) good luck with city council approving this any time soon, (2) the tech is just not there yet, and (3) on the basis of logic… how do the economics at scale make sense, when one truck serves hundreds of households in a day*, and one drone makes multiple round trips? The energy equation just doesn’t add up…

I also expect the environmentalists to come in the defense of frightened birds, other distinguished internet communities to start discussing invisible chemtrails, and grossly exaggerated claims about potentials for job losses and invasions of privacy, which takes us all back to point (1).

*in moderately populated areas

Dec 5, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #104,946 of 152,173

Years ago I would use the USPS exclusively because it would always arrive on time and was almost always the cheapest way to ship stuff. Now it's my next to last choice only ahead of FedEx HOME Delivery which I have NEVER had an on time delivery, for some reason even when it's not an item that requires a signature they will always say business closed or no one was available for delivery which is SOOOOO infuriating.

Dec 5, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #104,947 of 152,173
Years ago I would use the USPS exclusively because it would always arrive on time and was almost always the cheapest way to ship stuff. Now it's my next to last choice only ahead of FedEx HOME
You can blame Postmaster General Louis DeJoy for that. Sabotage from within, at the highest level.

I will say no more, as it would be verging into politics.

Dec 5, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #104,948 of 152,173
So I bought the Loki+ Mini of the Black Friday sale and inserted into my Magni 3+/ Modi 3+ stack. Plugged in my favorite Philips X2 (2014 OG) for the first time, started listening and tweaking, and the Loki really improved the sound alot with minor tweaks. Tightened up the somewhat loose bass and smoothed out the treble nicely. One thing very surprising is that the improved overall sound changes have taken an already airy and good soundstage and renders it even better. Never been one for EQ but I could not be happier with the results. Love the dials. The stack has never been more gratifying. Thanks Schiit.

Dec 5, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #104,950 of 152,173
I've posted on this before, but FedEx, UPS, & USPS all do bonehead things with their "logistics". It just depends on the the phases of the moon, planets, stars, etc. as to which one will screw up today. The one thing FedEx now does which blows me away is that they take a picture of the package they just dropped off at my door. That way, when I check tracking and see it was delivered, I actually have proof of it being delivered, well, at least a box was delivered. Now if it's not there when I get home from work, next is a call to the police to report the theft.
The loss in wages is greater to get a signature than the loss in theft to leave it one would assume, especially with the ability to confirm delivery, which presumably reduces fraud.

Dec 5, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #104,951 of 152,173
It should not be "mail Man" the more correct version is "Person Person".
I will keep my interpretation to myself.
Just hope a tapeworm didn't abscond with your Schiit...
Hopefully not, but its starting to look suspicious. They still can't account for it this morning. We have a small post office open 2 hours per day, they're already halfway through today and still no package. Tracking says they have bounced it back and forth between the substation 60 miles away since Friday. The substation says they sent it back to the post office Sunday morning.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #104,952 of 152,173
I suspect it would be easier to track the Amazon truck vs a drone… 😀

Dec 5, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #104,953 of 152,173
I suspect it would be easier to track the Amazon truck vs a drone… 😀
true lol. I first saw the possibility on 60 Minutes but that was years ago and I suppose the idea just did not fly. :ksc75smile:

Dec 5, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #104,955 of 152,173

Users who are viewing this thread

Back