Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 25, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #101,792 of 151,224
Finnegan and I were watching that game lol. Belichick will pass Pappa Bear in total number of wins, but he will not do it against the Bears. :beerchug:
Da Bears :bear: :football:

This was the first game Fields didn't look scared this season... good win though, my nephew (Vikings Fan) was harassing me before it started.

Oct 25, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #101,794 of 151,224
The Packers are 3 Wins and 4 Loses.
But I'm relaxed.

Oct 25, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #101,795 of 151,224
Roon V 2.0.1 is not available for update yet. At least not according to my system.

I think that there is some confusion about when online connectivity is needed. Maybe for me, maybe for thee. My understanding was that with the original Roon ARC release both the server (Roon Core) and the remote (Roon ARC app) needed to have always online connections. However, I think they changed this in that patch such that the remote (Roon ARC app) on your phone or whatever client it is running on, has an offline mode that allows that client to play any downloaded songs you've previously gotten from the core. I was under the impression this didn't change the Core in any way. Roon is often (always it seems to me) unclear about what is what when it comes to their Core and their Remotes and which needs access to what.

It's also a fair point that Roon wants to do search in the cloud not on the client. This is going to be the standard, whether folks like it or not, for large data. Google does this, Tesla does this for voice commands in their cars, etc. I worked for Oracle for many years (starting in 1986) and most software is going through the lifecycle that Oracle did: started with everything on a big IBM mainframe. Then, PCs came around and everyone wanted to use cheap PCs to run applications connected to backend servers, thus client-server was born. This led to inevitable problems keeping those many clients up to date, running properly, etc. Thus began the "thin client" era which morphed into web applications running in the cloud and has led us to where we are today. It just makes economic (and technical) sense to centralize control and maintenance of the most difficult, expensive parts of the application and let the underpowered, wandering "terminals" be relatively simple.

Oct 25, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #101,796 of 151,224
I think that there is some confusion about when online connectivity is needed. Maybe for me, maybe for thee. My understanding was that with the original Roon ARC release both the server (Roon Core) and the remote (Roon ARC app) needed to have always online connections. However, I think they changed this in that patch such that the remote (Roon ARC app) on your phone or whatever client it is running on, has an offline mode that allows that client to play any downloaded songs you've previously gotten from the core. I was under the impression this didn't change the Core in any way. Roon is often (always it seems to me) unclear about what is what when it comes to their Core and their Remotes and which needs access to what.

It's also a fair point that Roon wants to do search in the cloud not on the client. This is going to be the standard, whether folks like it or not, for large data. Google does this, Tesla does this for voice commands in their cars, etc. I worked for Oracle for many years (starting in 1986) and most software is going through the lifecycle that Oracle did: started with everything on a big IBM mainframe. Then, PCs came around and everyone wanted to use cheap PCs to run applications connected to backend servers, thus client-server was born. This led to inevitable problems keeping those many clients up to date, running properly, etc. Thus began the "thin client" era which morphed into web applications running in the cloud and has led us to where we are today. It just makes economic (and technical) sense to centralize control and maintenance of the most difficult, expensive parts of the application and let the underpowered, wandering "terminals" be relatively simple.
Sure, but Google doesn't require you to have a server running on your network in order to search your local content. There has to be a fallback path to have search be just plain bad / crippleware if your internet connection is not working. And I say this as someone who is not terribly bothered that Roon now requires an internet connection - it doesn't bother me personally, but I'm equal amounts local & streaming these days. Others with huge local libraries are understandably quite upset.

Oct 25, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #101,797 of 151,224
Just finished 2 weeks away from home for work. First good cold snap just rolled through central Texas. Started fiddling with tube rolling and have found a delightful combo. Kenrad black glass JAN 6SL7 on the left, PSVANE CV181 6SN7 on the right. My new turntable is a month old and sounding better with every spin. It's a good day to be a Schiithead.
20221025_133426.jpg

Prost!

Oct 25, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #101,798 of 151,224
About Roon ARC

I think they rolled this release back, because 2.0 is now on the top of the list.
I've seen it, and switched it off, but I'm also on 1133 now and no setting for it. 🙄

😵‍💫
I have a suspicion that you might be misinterpreting this change log.

Nothing has been rolled back, the stated build numbers under the change log that you posted screenshots of are for the exact builds that are currently available.

But I can't really blame you, their version numbers are just as much a horrid mess as everything else they touch. Current versions of Roon do indeed show "Roon version 2.0" in the About section, even though it's actually version 2.0.1. When it comes to Roon, ignore the version numbers, they mean very little. As far back as I can remember, they have only ever shown the version numbers to the first decimal only, meaning the "dot version", but never once the dot-dot version, like the 2.0.1 update is.
With these guys, you're better off of you ever only look at the build numbers and ignore the version number altogether.

There's no need to have things be this confusing. But we're talking about Roon Labs here, they're obviously above certain best practices and industry norms.

As for the actual issue at hand…
The ARC app does, in fact, have a newly introduced "offline mode," the switch for which you can find prominently placed on ARC's settings screen (cog wheel in the top-right corner of ARC's main screen) — very much inexplicably in the "profile" section. But then again, it's Roon Labs. Trying too hard to figure out why they decide to do certain things a certain way just gives me a headache.
Anyway…
This offline mode pertains to the ARC app ONLY, meaning you can tell it to cache your library's metadata on your device so that it no longer needs to phone home to your Roon core for simple things like metadata and album art.

What this does NOT mean is that Roon itself, meaning the Roon core or Roon remotes, would work offline, too. It doesn't. And by Roon Labs' own admission it can't, and it probably never will.
The issue is that they decided to change that entire system's underpinnings to the new system they developed for ARC. That's why you can't connect a Roon 1.8 remote to a Roon 2.0 core, while you were able to connect older 1.x versions to newer 1.x cores without an issue. And that new system requires to keep a connection alive to Roon Labs' own servers at all times. If it didn't your ARC app would no longer be able to connect.

Is this need to always be online really technically necessary? I think it isn't. But I'm not them, and I don't have the insight needed into their code and planning to know for sure.
As far as I can tell, from the outside looking in, they've kinda coded themselves into a corner. As one does when one codes for features first and only thinks about the foundation second.
Will be interesting to see how they decide to maneuver themselves out of it in the coming months and years.
Or they decide to just wait it out and hope that people stop complaining at some point down the road. Works pretty well for other similarly-run businesses.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #101,800 of 151,224
Just finished 2 weeks away from home for work. First good cold snap just rolled through central Texas. Started fiddling with tube rolling and have found a delightful combo. Kenrad black glass JAN 6SL7 on the left, PSVANE CV181 6SN7 on the right. My new turntable is a month old and sounding better with every spin. It's a good day to be a Schiithead.20221025_133426.jpg

Prost!
That has the looks of a Technics turntable, which cartridge? I have definitely tried the PSvanes but no 6sl7's thus far in my Freya +. :ksc75smile:

Oct 25, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #101,801 of 151,224
Just finished 2 weeks away from home for work. First good cold snap just rolled through central Texas. Started fiddling with tube rolling and have found a delightful combo. Kenrad black glass JAN 6SL7 on the left, PSVANE CV181 6SN7 on the right. My new turntable is a month old and sounding better with every spin. It's a good day to be a Schiithead.20221025_133426.jpg

Prost!
Nice looking system!

Oct 25, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #101,802 of 151,224
Da Bears :bear: :football:

This was the first game Fields didn't look scared this season... good win though, my nephew (Vikings Fan) was harassing me before it started.
Rewatching the game now. Bears are one of two teams that were there for the formation of what became the NFL, the other team is also from Chicago.🤪

Oct 25, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #101,803 of 151,224
That has the looks of a Technics turntable, which cartridge? I have definitely tried the PSvanes but no 6sl7's thus far in my Freya +. :ksc75smile:
Yep, I ditched my u-turn orbit with a Grado Black for a Technic's 1200 GR with Grado Opus3. Such wonderful, lush, warm mids with plenty of detail and bass. Very well balanced. I got a bunch of 6SL7's in England a few months ago for way cheaper than 6sn7's were going for so I decided to take a shot. I put them in the right side to really listen carefully to what I had purchased. What I discovered is that they were all very microphonic. My RCAs. Kenrads, and Tung-sols (all USA made NOS) would start to ring when any conversation took place in the room. Great sound, but super sensitive. They would also all emit a loud pop when crossing over 12 o clock on volume. Moving them to the left side solved all those issues.

Oct 25, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #101,804 of 151,224
Oct 25, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #101,805 of 151,224
Rewatching the game now. Bears are one of two teams that were there for the formation of what became the NFL, the other team is also from Chicago.🤪
When one of Dick Butkus family members joined the Packers, he congratulated them for being on an "expansion" team.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back