Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 14, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #101,191 of 151,024
This one's for ORT.

ort.png

Oct 14, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #101,195 of 151,024
Oct 14, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #101,197 of 151,024
Jason spent some time on the stream last night about the use case for a small, low-power, extremely high-quality speaker amplifier for use with things like near-field monitors in a small space (like on a desktop, for example). Got me thinking about how cool it would be to have a 10W Tyr in a case the size of a Modius or Bifrost. :)
What would be even cooler is a 200W Tyr in a case the size of a Modius or Bifrost. 🤣

Oct 14, 2022 at 11:10 PM Post #101,199 of 151,024
Youre never one to be concise.. how did it sound? Lol
…really good! 😁

What I heard was in the context of a room that I don't know and through speakers I'm not familiar with. So any potential weaknesses or strengths that I may or may not have heard may just as well have been caused by things other than the DAC.

Not being familiar with the room and the speakers that were used, some things I can not be certain about. And so it wouldn't be fair to Dave, Ivana, and Singularity if I posted those thoughts here.
What I heard was very enjoyable, though, and I suspect that a LOT of people will be VERY happy with Singularity once it gets released. About that I have no doubt. 😊

One thing I will say that may or may not raise an eyebrow or two among those who were there yesterday evening: I think Singularity will turn out to be a DAC technology that might receive a very, VERY warm welcome with people who enjoy their music on a predominantly emotional level.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2022 at 12:47 AM Post #101,200 of 151,024
I guess I’m in…

There was a lord, a lord lived in the North Country
He was a man of wealth and fame
He only had one child, a child but only one
And Lady Diamond was her name
She did not love a lord, she did not love a king
She loved a kitchen boy, and William was his name
And though he brought her joy, he also brought her shame
And he gave his heart to Lady Diamond

"And his hair shines like gold," said Lady Diamond
"And his eyes like crystal stones," said Lady Diamond
"Bright as the silver moon" she said, "bright as the sun that shines"
"Bright as the silver moon" she said, "bright as the sun that shines"
On Lady Diamond

It was a Winter's night the lord could get no rest
To Lady Diamond's room he came
He sat down on her bed just like a wondering ghost
Now Lady Diamond tell me plain
"Do you love a lord", he said, "or do you love a king?"
"I love a kitchen boy, and William is his name
And better I love that boy than all your well-bred men;
I have his heart", said Lady Diamond

Oh where are all my men, he said, that I gave meat and fee
Go fetch the kitchen boy and bring him here to me
They dragged him from the house and hung him on a tree
And they gave his heart to Lady Diamond

Oct 15, 2022 at 1:04 AM Post #101,201 of 151,024
Like you, I don't find a lot of new stuff that I really like off internet radio etc. Especially during the day when I'm working.

What DOES work for me to is to gather "I like this" recommendations from these forums and others. I take notes on paper and in a spreadsheet. For example:
* somebody mentioned Johnny Winter's Step Back ... I found and listened to that on Qobuz. And then re-listened to Second Winter from my collection as well. Winners.
* somebody mentioned Moonshine Society - Sweet Thing ... WHO??? Turns out I'd already favorite'd it in Roon/Qobuz some time ago, and forgotten it. Listened again. Put it into my database with some notes.
* somebody mentioned Rory Graham aka Rag'n'Bone Man - Human (2017) - WHOOOO? Wow that's different. Like it, made database notes.
* and some folks of course name music that, when I try it, I don't like enough to want to listen to it again. But the hit:miss ratio is pretty good.

But since people here have a wide variety of preferences, this exposes me to a bunch of stuff I likely wouldn't otherwise know about. And there's a bias towards decently recorded music that sound good on headphones.

- - - - -
footnotes:
* I like albums, playing from track 1 to track X. Don't much like playlists with 20 or 40 different artists. When I listen to 8 to 12 (or more) songs, I can get an impression of how much I like the artist, even if I'm not giving the music my full attention. (And when the album stops, I like the music to just stop. So I can make notes if warranted, and consciously choose what I'm going to try next.)
* One thing I dislike on Roon is that is doesn't support user-added free-text comments. At least, not that I have discovered. So my various notes (in Excel) aren't a part of "integrated experience." Tags are necessarily structured and limited ... useful, but different.

It really is all about enjoying the music. The gear just helps us get there.
I might’ve mentioned Rag ‘n’ Bone Man at one point, and I’ll say this now… ZZ Ward’s debut album. Til the Casket Drops. Hope you enjoy.

Oct 15, 2022 at 1:18 AM Post #101,202 of 151,024
Was anyone able to attend and get a listen to the Singularity prototype? I’m curious to read some impressions.
Had a great time (and some great wine, Thanks Jason!) with everyone last night at the Schittr! :beerchug:

It was impossible for me to judge it's SQ in the room they were doing the demo in (the room is literally a small cube, with the speakers in the corners). But I'm interested in Singularity because I know that good and even great sounding D/S DACs do exist, but I have yet to hear one that costs less than a couple grand. So if Mr. Multibit (Mike) is willing to put his seal of approval on a D/S DAC that he helped develop, I can't wait to give it a try.

Anyway, it was a lot of fun chatting with everyone. Looking forward to doing it again!

BTW, I had to snap a pic of the artwork that was hanging on the bathroom wall (of all places). That Schiit belongs in a gallery!! :ksc75smile:

IMG_0521.JPG

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2022 at 4:42 AM Post #101,204 of 151,024
https://www.facebook.com/watch/live?ref=watch_permalink&v=799597204427254
Facebook Schiitr - Jason & Dave

"A tube Ragnarok? Why not..." - Jason

Single digits for Folkvangr

Valhalla 3 - a possibility using Folkvangr tech in a smaller headphone amp

Displays - ? - e-paper?

Sysius - multi (2)-switcher, balanced - "a bad idea". Query about just a switcher w/o volume control. Jason notes Saga exists

Sol 2 - maybe. Way out...

Also Folkvangr can run 6SN7’s with adapters, but it’s not optimal as the plate voltage used is too low.

Oct 15, 2022 at 4:46 AM Post #101,205 of 151,024
What would be even cooler is a 200W Tyr in a case the size of a Modius or Bifrost. 🤣
Cool? That thing would get hotter than h*ll on a Sunday afternoon! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back