Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 14, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #101,177 of 151,025
Displays - ? - e-paper?
They talked about full on displays (like LCDs) and E-Ink ones, the latter being too slow for a CD player (updating once a second, I presume).

I love the idea of E-Ink for anything that doesn't need frequent updates, like the sample rate. No power consumption (and possible effect on sound quality) unless you change its state, doesn't light up the room. The Aranet4 CO2 monitor has one + Bluetooth LE and the claimed 4-year battery life seems realistic to me by now.

No talk about seven-segment displays for some reason (all I need for sample rates, which is why I got the Topping E30 as a sample rate display). Schiit could maybe make a unique one with their 3D printed light pipes.
Screenshot-2020-05-14-at-14.52.54_result.jpg

But clearly the Schiit way would be this...
81KAUhBXFkL.jpg

Edit: Jason also voiced concern about displays looking dated because phone displays improve at a faster pace. I think there's ways around that. I don't think the Holo Audio look will be less pleasing on the eyes 10 years from now:

holo_display.png

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #101,178 of 151,025
Oct 14, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #101,179 of 151,025
Jason - I see that you are discounting the Vidar. I bought mine ONLY a year ago...can I get a refund of the difference? HAHAHAHA!!!!

JK! It was worth it at the ORIGINAL PRICE!!! Now it is a STEAL!!!
I need to justify my older, more expensive, Vidar by buying a new cheaper one and blind testing them against each other.

Oct 14, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #101,180 of 151,025
Jason spent some time on the stream last night about the use case for a small, low-power, extremely high-quality speaker amplifier for use with things like near-field monitors in a small space (like on a desktop, for example). Got me thinking about how cool it would be to have a 10W Tyr in a case the size of a Modius or Bifrost. :)
Yes, I heard that ... sounds a bit like the Chord Anni ... but, presumably, the Schiit version would be (a lot) less money.

Oct 14, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #101,181 of 151,025
699 was the original price for Vidar, way back in 2017. Pretty amazing they can still sell it for that.

Maybe Vidar + is on the way and they are clearing inventory.

I've had a Vidar since oct 2018. Its a nice amplifier, bass, tone, staging, instrument & vocal separation/location are all really nice.

It doesn't do 3d depth and fine background details as well as Ragnarok, but thats a 699 bone-in pork chop vs a 1499 bone-in Ribeye.

Well worth the money.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #101,182 of 151,025
Listening to Jason describe Singularity at The Schiitr ... reminiscent of what Rob Watts does with his Chord DACs ... or similar approach ?

Oct 14, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #101,183 of 151,025
Jason spent some time on the stream last night about the use case for a small, low-power, extremely high-quality speaker amplifier for use with things like near-field monitors in a small space (like on a desktop, for example). Got me thinking about how cool it would be to have a 10W Tyr in a case the size of a Modius or Bifrost. :)
With a 3 pin XLR out to use them as headphone monoblocks :)

Oct 14, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #101,184 of 151,025
Edit: Jason also voiced concern about displays looking dated because phone displays improve at a faster pace. I think there's ways around that. I don't think the Holo Audio look will be less pleasing on the eyes 10 years from now:

holo_display.png
Agree. It looks hideous now and it will still look hideous in another 10 years. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Oct 14, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #101,185 of 151,025
Agree. It looks hideous now and it will still look hideous in another 10 years. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Heh. Do you have an example for a display you like? Is the Holo Audio one better or worse than... this?

display.png

Which I think perfectly illustrates Jason's concern about looking dated soon / already.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #101,186 of 151,025
Heh. Do you have an example for a display you like? Is the Holo Audio one better or worse than... this?

display.png

Which I think perfectly illustrates Jason's concern about looking dated soon / already.
Oh... that's full colour hideousness. :dt880smile:

I don't like any LCD/OLED/CRT panel on my domestic audio equipment. If I have to worry about verifying the sample rate on the DAC, it's already too late for pleasurable listening...

Oct 14, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #101,187 of 151,025
Oh... that's full colour hideousness. :dt880smile:

I don't like any LCD/OLED/CRT panel on my domestic audio equipment. If I have to worry about verifying the sample rate on the DAC, it's already too late for pleasurable listening...
Hmmmm 🤔 Pleasurable listening?!

What is this thing you speak of???? :wink:

Oct 14, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #101,188 of 151,025
They talked about full on displays (like LCDs) and E-Ink ones, the latter being too slow for a CD player (updating once a second, I presume).

I love the idea of E-Ink for anything that doesn't need frequent updates, like the sample rate. No power consumption (and possible effect on sound quality) unless you change its state, doesn't light up the room. The Aranet4 CO2 monitor has one + Bluetooth LE and the claimed 4-year battery life seems realistic to me by now.

No talk about seven-segment displays for some reason (all I need for sample rates, which is why I got the Topping E30 as a sample rate display). Schiit could maybe make a unique one with their 3D printed light pipes.
Screenshot-2020-05-14-at-14.52.54_result.jpg

But clearly the Schiit way would be this...
81KAUhBXFkL.jpg

holo_display.png
I have an e-ink aranet4 (CO2 monitor). Looks very sharp. Would love to see that on Schiit Audio products. I do like seeing more info on the DACs. And high contrast is good for my aging eyes.

Oct 14, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #101,189 of 151,025
Oct 14, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #101,190 of 151,025
Hmmmm 🤔 Pleasurable listening?!

What is this thing you speak of???? :wink:
It happens with tubes, good recordings and well-loved music. Just not polite to mention it on Head-Fi.

I'm sorry for interrupting the visual (audio) gear nervosa stream - it won't happen again.... Until next time :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back