Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 2, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #100,487 of 151,308
Welcome back to vinyl Strat! I have tried, and still use, the other mediums, but have never tired in 50 years of the tactile feeling of joy I get from my vinyl. Call me old school, but the motions of playing vinyl bring me a deeper connection to the music than do the little silver discs or hands-off streaming. All mediums serve their purpose well, but nothing blows my skirt up more than vinyl. Or, I could just be enamored of the new Wharfedale Lintons I have in house playing the newly opened half-speed remaster of Bowie's Ziggy Stardust. Nah, vinyl's where my head's at!! Welcome back and enjoy!
Beautifully stated, my friend! Huzzah!:beerchug:

Oct 2, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #100,488 of 151,308
I have recently jumped head first into the vinyl rabbit hole after more than 20 years.

It makes no rational sense at all to spend money on turntable, Cartridge, phono stage to play stuff which I have on CD, as well as vinyl.

However, I love it!

I am enjoying the whole experience of playing vinyl, both old and new, for the first time in over 20 years.

Vinyl was a big part of my life from the late 60s to about ‘79.

I now realise how much I have missed it.

I won’t even contemplate making any inflammatory judgment about analogue vs digital.

I wouldn’t even claim that vinyl is ‘better’ than CD ( or other digital formats) but I love it, and I am so glad to have ‘analogue’ playback as an option again.
Memories. The heart is filled with love, the soul with the memories that are fueled by that love. Because of this you, my brother, shall never be alone.

Oct 2, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #100,489 of 151,308
t6Ul1z.jpg
Problem I have with that is that it loses which is supposed to be red and which white. Electricity is infinitely divisible, no?, until we get to the quantum level?

Oct 2, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #100,490 of 151,308
Back after 36 hours without power. Lots of crap in the yard and the drive, but clear up is done. What else do you do with no power!
I am glad it was not worse.

Oct 2, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #100,491 of 151,308
Welcome back to vinyl Strat! I have tried, and still use, the other mediums, but have never tired in 50 years of the tactile feeling of joy I get from my vinyl. Call me old school, but the motions of playing vinyl bring me a deeper connection to the music than do the little silver discs or hands-off streaming. All mediums serve their purpose well, but nothing blows my skirt up more than vinyl. Or, I could just be enamored of the new Wharfedale Lintons I have in house playing the newly opened half-speed remaster of Bowie's Ziggy Stardust. Nah, vinyl's where my head's at!! Welcome back and enjoy!
Thank you @MisterMudd :beyersmile:

It has been a great surprise, and real source of pleasure, that this ‘obsolete’ format, aka vinyl, sounds so good!

I have a pretty revealing system and, I believe, a pretty good digital set up with an original Yggy at its heart.

Good recordings sound fantastic on this system, especially using a CD transport.

I was fully prepared to be disappointed with my irrational foray back into the mad world of vinyl, despite buying a nice turntable - Technics SL 1200G- and a decent cartridge - Ortofon 2M Black.
(I know that there is even ‘better’ vinyl playback gear available)

It really is quite remarkable that vinyl sounds so good (to my ears) despite its many technical shortcomings, like dynamic range and noise, compared with digital.

I have a fairly large CD collection of about 1200 albums and a far more modest vinyl collection of around 200, most of which were bought in the ‘70s.

I think that my vinyl collection will now grow rapidly….

In the past 6 months, I have bought a dozen albums on vinyl, which is more than I bought between 1979 and last year!

Of my recent purchases, six have been half-speed masters.

You have now tempted me with the half-speed master of Bowie’s ‘Ziggy’ album.

The half speed masters I have bought so far are:

Thick as a Brick- Jethro Tull
Best of Roxy Music
Exile on Main St- Stones
Sticky Fingers- Stones
Fire and Water- Free
Solid Air- John Martyn

I also have the Steven Wilson Yes remix box set, comprising:
The Yes Album
Fragile
Close to the Edge
Tales from Topographic Oceans
Relayer

Oct 2, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #100,492 of 151,308
Back after 36 hours without power. Lots of crap in the yard and the drive, but clear up is done. What else do you do with no power!
Glad you are safe more than anything. Nothing to speak of in Charlotte other than a couple brief power outages, but I did get the pleasure of driving through the tail end of it through South Carolina on Friday evening. Down to tropical storm level winds by then, but still not a lot of fun. :sweat:

Oct 2, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #100,493 of 151,308
The half speed masters I have bought so far are:

Thick as a Brick- Jethro Tull
Best of Roxy Music
Exile on Main St- Stones
Sticky Fingers- Stones
Fire and Water- Free
Solid Air- John Martyn

Solid Air came on the radio (CKUA-FM / ckua.com) just as I was reading your post! Always loved John Martyn, and Nick Drake too.

Oct 2, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #100,494 of 151,308
Question:
Has anyone installed the 2/64 firmware on a Bifrost 2 with an AD card and tried NOS mode?

I finally had time to do so last weekend, left the thing sit to warm up for five, six days, and eventually did some "critical" listening yesterday, A/B'ing between NOS and filtered mode — and what I ended up hearing seriously surprised me. *
So I'd like to get a second, third, and fourth opinion on this, because I'm really not sure if I'm just imagining things, or…

* I hate how this sentence sounds like a clickbait headline, but I mean it.

Oct 2, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #100,495 of 151,308
B2BE1EE6-5483-4726-B3DE-845C540A6722.jpeg

Now I just need to hook everything up after I decide final height of new shelves. Turntable shelf is perfectly level. The cherry shelves and copper patina on the supports will darken with time.

Oct 2, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #100,497 of 151,308
Question:
Has anyone installed the 2/64 firmware on a Bifrost 2 with an AD card and tried NOS mode?

I finally had time to do so last weekend, left the thing sit to warm up for five, six days, and eventually did some "critical" listening yesterday, A/B'ing between NOS and filtered mode — and what I ended up hearing seriously surprised me. *
So I'd like to get a second, third, and fourth opinion on this, because I'm really not sure if I'm just imagining things, or…

* I hate how this sentence sounds like a clickbait headline, but I mean it.
NOS for me has been a very interesting journey....so much I now have 2 NOS dacs....looking forward to your impressions...

Oct 2, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #100,498 of 151,308
NOS for me has been a very interesting journey....so much I now have 2 NOS dacs....looking forward to your impressions...
I appreciate the comment.

Nah, I don't, actually. How dare you not tell me what your impressions are?! That was literally the ENTIRE point of my original question! Are you TRYING to kill me here?! 🤪🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back