Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 1, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #100,442 of 155,103
I know that they are probably easier (or at least cheaper) to source and also likely make things a little easier to assemble, but…

The one thing that bugs me a tiny little bit about Folkvangr is the power switch. Even after a few months of use, I still find it a little "difficult" to locate it. Not actually difficult, of course, but it's just not the same effortless ease with which I always immediately find the old flip/toggle switches. In theory, the new integrated rocker switch should be easier to find because it's closer to the edge of the device AND immediately above the power cable, serving as a "landmark" of sorts for your grabby little fingers. But with the old toggle switches, I somehow never have to look, or even think. I just find them. Blindly. Immediately. And every single time.
The toggle switches also feel a lot more satisfying to use, what with their nice metallic *chonk* and all.

Seems like most newer Schiit gear (with internal transformers) might be getting that new rocker switch assembly. Tyr has it (although it doesn't bother me there since I never switch mine off), and based on the drawing Jason posted the other day, Urd seems to be getting them, too. Of the newer stuff, only Lyr still retained the old toggle switch. Maybe so Schiit could continue to use the same bottom chassis, I guess. Or because that newer power-socket-with-integrated-fuse-and-power-switch assembly is a little deeper and would not fit behind those two chunky transformers in Lyr? No idea.

Just to be clear: This isn't meant as a complaint by any means. It's just something I noticed. The new switches are completely fine. No reason to complain. My brain just seems to prefer the old ones a little more for no good reason.

I dunno… These new switches are just so… …so normal. …so mundane. …so consumer electronics like. …so completely unlike Schiit! 😅

Oct 1, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #100,444 of 155,103
Oct 1, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #100,445 of 155,103
Oct 1, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #100,446 of 155,103
Just to be clear: This isn't meant as a complaint by any means. It's just something I noticed. The new switches are completely fine. No reason to complain. My brain just seems to prefer the old ones a little more for no good reason.

I dunno… These new switches are just so… …so normal. …so mundane. …so consumer electronics like. …so completely unlike Schiit! 😅
Perfectly fine, yes, but I agree, the old ones have a more satisfying click - and feel - to them! :smile:

The Folkvangr is the only piece of Schiit with the new type of on/off switch I have, and my brain, being wired the way it is, finds it easier to find the old style switch on my Lyr3 than the new style on the Folkvangr; and easier to know which way is on and off; up=on, down=off, easy. Left/right? Less logical in a way** :sweat_smile:

**) That said, it’s not hard to tell if the Folkvangr is on or off.. :wink:

Oct 1, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #100,447 of 155,103
I know that they are probably easier (or at least cheaper) to source and also likely make things a little easier to assemble, but…

The one thing that bugs me a tiny little bit about Folkvangr is the power switch. Even after a few months of use, I still find it a little "difficult" to locate it. Not actually difficult, of course, but it's just not the same effortless ease with which I always immediately find the old flip/toggle switches. In theory, the new integrated rocker switch should be easier to find because it's closer to the edge of the device AND immediately above the power cable, serving as a "landmark" of sorts for your grabby little fingers. But with the old toggle switches, I somehow never have to look, or even think. I just find them. Blindly. Immediately. And every single time.
The toggle switches also feel a lot more satisfying to use, what with their nice metallic *chonk* and all.

Seems like most newer Schiit gear (with internal transformers) might be getting that new rocker switch assembly. Tyr has it (although it doesn't bother me there since I never switch mine off), and based on the drawing Jason posted the other day, Urd seems to be getting them, too. Of the newer stuff, only Lyr still retained the old toggle switch. Maybe so Schiit could continue to use the same bottom chassis, I guess. Or because that newer power-socket-with-integrated-fuse-and-power-switch assembly is a little deeper and would not fit behind those two chunky transformers in Lyr? No idea.

While I hesitate to disagree with an esteemed philosopher, my take on power switches is very different. My Ragnarok has the same switch/socket/fuse "module" as the FV, and I appreciate it every time I power up the unit. The switch is at the upper, outer corner where it can be easily reached either from over the top or around the side. I hoped that would be the new standard for Schiit, but my Ygg came with a cheesy chrome toggle malevolently placed inboard of the power socket. @#%&! Since the Ygg is on a shelf, I can only reach in from the side which means threading my fingers around the cord every time. And now, pictures of the Urd show a similar arrangement. I get the rationale for putting the switch on the back, but would it really compromise the sound to put the switch outside of the power cord? Right at the end of the panel where it is easily accessible? Which are you gonna touch more often, the cord or the switch? On the Urd, the switch/cord module looks like a square. So why not rotate the square 180 degrees? It's details like this that cause me to suspect that Jason has a bit of a sadistic streak. Of course, I keep buying Schiit, so does that make me a masochist? Anyway, whether chrome toggle or rocker, I say power should be in easy reach for the people.

Oct 1, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #100,448 of 155,103
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=bill+perkins+octet&t=chromentp&atb=v325-1&iax=videos&ia=videos&iai=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO-nfImtirg

Starting the day with a little Bill Perkins Octet live. Three saxophones.

Followed by some Art Pepper on alto sax with Marty Piach
6vdmeg.jpg

Oct 1, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #100,450 of 155,103
Last edited:
Oct 1, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #100,452 of 155,103
I have a flac copy, ripped from a since given away CD, on my NAS. It is available at Amazon Music, I don't subscribe to any of the other services, not sure if it is there.
LOL Tidal has volumes 3,5, and 6.

I will look for the set later, I need to get busy in my shop; that is a set I do want to own.

Oct 1, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #100,453 of 155,103
Got a link, I may have to check that out? I found it and will check it out later.

Something I just discovered I owned.

https://www.discogs.com/release/2836230-Various-The-Verve-Story-1944-1994 I hope to check out later.

Your post twigged something in my brain. Back in the 1990's I went on a bit of a box-set binge. I haven't looked at them in a long while - now might be a good time to revisit them, and to also keep an eye on on an upcoming Schiit release 🤔. Anyway, I picked this up in '94 or '95. It's the same set you linked to, but with a slightly different cover. This is the North American release, dated '94. Same track list as your link.

<edited for clarity>

Attachments

• Verve.jpg
    Verve.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 1, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #100,454 of 155,103
Your post twigged something in my brain. Back in the 1990's I went on a bit of a box-set binge. I haven't looked at them in a long while - now might be a good time to revisit them, and to also keep an eye on on an upcoming Schiit release 🤔. Anyway, I picked this up in '94 or '95. It's the same set you linked to, but with a slightly different cover. This is the North American release, dated '94. Same track list as your link.

<edited for clarity>
I found it listed under various artists in my music collection. This group of flacs totals about 35,000 albums so it can take time to explore. Art Pepper is sadly lacking but Brubeck and Getz and such are well covered. :ksc75smile:

Oct 1, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #100,455 of 155,103
I found it listed under various artists in my music collection. This group of flacs totals about 35,000 albums so it can take time to explore. Art Pepper is sadly lacking but Brubeck and Getz and such are well covered. :ksc75smile:
My CD player in my main cabinet is my old "fat" PS3 which had/has an excellent CD/Blu-Ray player for its time. I'm still debating whether or not to get an Urd or some-such to update. It's surprising Art isn't there. Did he tick somebody off at the label and they held a grudge for decades?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back