Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 26, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #98,431 of 149,272
P.S. I forgot that EVs don't require much maintenance. Once a year to get registered and inspected ($40?) and new tires as necessary (pricey!). So, another $1100/year savings per edmunds for a Subaru WRX 2020.
Oh yea, registration, forgot about that. Here in red state Arizona electric and other alternative fuel vehicles pay a very reduced registration rate and get a plate that gives access to HOV lanes no matter how many people are in the car. That is almost worth the cost of the vehicle to me when commuting.

Aug 26, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #98,432 of 149,272
Charger (not the fancy kind) usually comes with the car so that's one less upfront cost.
My EV (used) cost less than the average price of a new car.
Then there's the "cost savings" of not having to go to a gas station. For me, that was another $2,600 of savings at my billable rate when transitioning from a car that got 50mi/gal. At 25mi/gal that would double to $5,200 (obviously). You could buy another bike with that :)

Not for everyone, for sure.

Hey! you Texans, what's a Buttee?

P.S. I forgot that EVs don't require much maintenance. Once a year to get registered and inspected ($40?) and new tires as necessary (pricey!). So, another $1100/year savings per edmunds for a Subaru WRX 2020.
I am not driving a lot now but I can certainly see an EV for those who are. I did invest pretty heavily in companies providing charging stations for major automobile companies about five years ago so I am very happy to see continued growth. :ksc75smile:

Aug 26, 2022 at 6:57 PM Post #98,433 of 149,272
Hey I'm considering getting a Lyr 3 (with multibit DAC) before they all get sold out. However, I am quite concerned because of reports saying these amps have fried headphones. I've also heard of this happening with other Schiit amps. Has Schiit found out/eliminated the cause of this?

Aug 26, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #98,434 of 149,272
Hey I'm considering getting a Lyr 3 (with multibit DAC) before they all get sold out. However, I am quite concerned because of reports saying these amps have fried headphones. I've also heard of this happening with other Schiit amps. Has Schiit found out/eliminated the cause of this?
Schiit amps don't fry headphones.

If you leave the volume cranked and turn on ANY brand amp, your headphones may be damaged.🤔 :rolling_eyes:

Aug 26, 2022 at 8:19 PM Post #98,435 of 149,272
Schiit amps don't fry headphones.

If you leave the volume cranked and turn on ANY brand amp, your headphones may be damaged.🤔 :rolling_eyes:
Well yes that's a given. I always make sure to have the volume all the way down when I turn on my JDS Labs Element II :)

Even if it won't break my headphones, it's just a good habit to have in case of the extremely small chance something does happen~

Aug 26, 2022 at 8:23 PM Post #98,437 of 149,272
IIRC, they may be referring to reports with very early units. I’ve owned two Lyr 3s and no problems with either. Great amp.
When did the Lyr 3 release? The reports I'm referring to are around 4 years old

Aug 26, 2022 at 8:23 PM Post #98,438 of 149,272
From EIA.gov -

"The three major categories of energy for electricity generation are fossil fuels (coal, natural gas, and petroleum), nuclear energy, and renewable energy sources. Most electricity is generated with steam turbines using fossil fuels, nuclear, biomass, geothermal, and solar thermal energy. Other major electricity generation technologies include gas turbines, hydro turbines, wind turbines, and solar photovoltaics."

EVs are nice but so far they are not saving the planet nor actually using "less" resources. They are pretty much recharged from the electric grid which as the quote above states, is pretty much powered by, you guessed it, FOSSIL FUELS. I have no doubts that with time, lots of time, EVs will become better and better. Those batteries in these vehicles have a finite lifespan and will have to be disposed of. Not all of it will be recyclable but that is the way with most all things.

Aug 26, 2022 at 9:37 PM Post #98,440 of 149,272
Beautiful night for flying over Schiit-town, #2. 20220825_192704.jpg20220825_192225.jpg20220825_192212.jpg
Beautiful!

Ironically, Rina and I are up in San Antonio this weekend (seeing some Texas history!)

Otherwise, you can probably see our house in the third picture (enhance, enhance, enhance, lol...)

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 26, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #98,442 of 149,272
Old news. That issue affected very few folks, was attributed to a few early units, and was subsequently addressed. It was a parts quality issue and not a design issue, as I recall. If you are buying from Schiit and not an early unit from the used market, you should be more than fine.

** EDIT: BTW -- I speak from experience as my early unit failed. The only reason it did not take out my Hifiman Ananda was that I was present to unplug it when the unit started loudly humming and the magic smoke spewed from the unit. I've been running it several years after the repair and have had ZERO issues. I have not seen any reports in years about this ever happening again.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2022 at 12:02 AM Post #98,445 of 149,272
From EIA.gov -

"The three major categories of energy for electricity generation are fossil fuels (coal, natural gas, and petroleum), nuclear energy, and renewable energy sources. Most electricity is generated with steam turbines using fossil fuels, nuclear, biomass, geothermal, and solar thermal energy. Other major electricity generation technologies include gas turbines, hydro turbines, wind turbines, and solar photovoltaics."

EVs are nice but so far they are not saving the planet nor actually using "less" resources. They are pretty much recharged from the electric grid which as the quote above states, is pretty much powered by, you guessed it, FOSSIL FUELS. I have no doubts that with time, lots of time, EVs will become better and better. Those batteries in these vehicles have a finite lifespan and will have to be disposed of. Not all of it will be recyclable but that is the way with most all things.

You do realize that the grid is getting greener and greener each year. The amount of solar and wind contributions to the energy grid are really ramping up. I know folks with solar that are off the grid and this is how they charge their cars. Therefore, by your own logic, the EV is getting greener each year while ICE vehicles are as dirty as ever. We drive nothing but electric. No tailpipe emissions at all. You could have a completely green grid and ICE will still be producing emissions. And what are the folks driving ICE cars doing for electricity at home? I guess that never gets fractured into the equation. BTW, virtually all of the battery materials are getting recycled. In fact, the new Tesla structural battery pack is fully recyclable. It gets tossed whole in a vat of chemicals that dissolve all the materials which are then separated out. This transition will take a lot less time than you think. By 2030 it will be a very different world .in places like Norway, it is happening in a year or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back