Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 9, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #97,756 of 152,548
and a "god, I really don't care" mode for those times you really feel like listening to The Pretty Reckless or Black Stone Cherry but are in no mood to endure the relentless barrage of pins and needles and compression artifacts that those recordings force on you when listened to through highly resolving DACs like Gumby or Yggy.
Agreed.

Schiit with a "What is this Schiit?" bypass. :triportsad:

Aug 9, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #97,758 of 152,548
A 2 channel integrated amp designed for AV audio 2.1 application with a Schiit 2 channel virtual 3D sound processor adaptation akin to Carver's Sonic Holography. I think that would be wacky and AWESOME! 😀
I have a Carver C-9 in my office - when correctly configured, it is amazing.

Aug 9, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #97,759 of 152,548
You can order them now with a Freya, per a check I did over the weekend, but not by themselves yet.
That's what I meant, when will they be available separately?
I read something like 3 weeks after Freya N release

Aug 9, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #97,761 of 152,548
LISST is 6SN7 Octal only--it will not fit Freya N.
I know, but it was announced at the same date. Back then it said that they will be available separately in a few weeks (not only bundled together with Freya+)

Aug 9, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #97,763 of 152,548
I'm using 2 Aegirs with Vandersteen 2CE Signature III's. Really enjoying the them.

Yes, plenty loud for me using a Freya+ (tube stage) and peaks of 75db using a hand held meter. NIOSH SLM is available for free for iPhone. Room approx 12' x 18'.
Volume at 12-1 o'clock. And yes to trying the Tyr's too! I'm just really satisfied with setup now.
IIRC, I think Richard Vandersteen says his speakers sound best with tube amps.
Plus the Vandy Shoes worked good for my speakers. They are only available from their dealers.
When I worked in the retail side of audio Richard Vandersteen visited the store for a day and we had a big meal after closing. Richard said he designed the Vandy 2's for Dynaco Stereo 70 amps, and he said they sound best with those classics driving them. This was in the 1980's, so keep this in mind.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #97,764 of 152,548
Why? Can't the device make the appropriate adjustments to a good mix?
Variation on that theme: with music being downloaded or streamed more and more, what about two versions of the album? One, an audiophile version and the other with modern-day levels of compression and etc. to make the music sound "good" on regular gear. It's not like retailers would have to carry double inventory anymore.

That's what I meant, when will they be available separately?
I read something like 3 weeks after Freya N release
Purchase a Freya now, return in within fifteen days but forget to pack the LISST? Naw, that'd just be mean.

Aug 9, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #97,765 of 152,548
Purchase a Freya now, return in within fifteen days but forget to pack the LISST? Naw, that'd just be mean.
Way too risky, not sure I'd be able to return the Freya once listening to it...

Aug 9, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #97,766 of 152,548
Variation on that theme: with music being downloaded or streamed more and more, what about two versions of the album? One, an audiophile version and the other with modern-day levels of compression and etc. to make the music sound "good" on regular gear. It's not like retailers would have to carry double inventory anymore.
Maybe just make all recordings "audiophile". Easy enough to convert great sounding FLAC/WAV/AIFF to lossy MP3/AAC. Can't do the opposite, tho.

Aug 9, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #97,767 of 152,548
Why? Can't the device make the appropriate adjustments to a good mix?
:hatched_chick:Maybe? My old Walkman didn't have any tone controls and the headphones were crap but I was a happy camper with it at the time. The point being that if you're targeting devices that don't reproduce lows or highs well, you may boost those frequencies in the mix to get them to sound better on low-end gear. Then the mix may be out of whack for good gear unless you can compensate.

Aug 9, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #97,770 of 152,548
The point being that if you're targeting devices that don't reproduce lows or highs well, you may boost those frequencies in the mix to get them to sound better on low-end gear.
Sure, so why can't the device, which knows its "sonic profile", make those adjustments? A variation of how active speakers work.... Heaven forfend, we'd have to include another 10c chip.

I think it's a crying shame that we, who know what musical instruments sound like, are being held hostage by those that just want to drown out subway noises.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back