Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 10, 2022 at 12:14 AM Post #97,786 of 150,710
As others have proposed, there may be more to it than simply converting the file to a lossy codec. Dynamic range compression so all notes are audible, bass boost, playing with the treble levels, etc. To me it seems like a good recording engineer could make a good recording, then apply whatever is necessary to make the music sound acceptable on average equipment and market both versions.

Problem is, it's extra work for not extra profit. Otherwise, everyone would be doing it.

Aug 10, 2022 at 12:48 AM Post #97,787 of 150,710
I'm not an audiophile. I'm a music lover that finds geeking out over stereo gear to be a fun pastime.

Finding music that sounds good on my 'good system' is much harder than finding music that sounds good on my 'other system'.

It's a paradox that is constantly frustrating.
You nailed it, RGB. A perfect summary IMHO.

Aug 10, 2022 at 1:17 AM Post #97,788 of 150,710
As others have proposed, there may be more to it than simply converting the file to a lossy codec. Dynamic range compression so all notes are audible, bass boost, playing with the treble levels, etc. To me it seems like a good recording engineer could make a good recording, then apply whatever is necessary to make the music sound acceptable on average equipment and market both versions.
#### Caution: mention of MQA below ####

I remember early on in the MQA marketing cycle, Meridian Audio said that they had the solution to the "mix integrity" and overall track quality problem; MQA would always carry the best representation of the "Artist's intent" regarding how the music should sound... Of course, if you can't explain how you achieved the intended result, you're basically fulla schiit.

[Just found this: https://www.headphonesty.com/2021/05/tidal-mqa-golden-sound-debate/ I haven't read all of the article, but it appears to be well written.]

Note: I am NOT trying to start a flame war here guys, I don't have enough time to do what I really want to do - simply listen to music. Just wanted to say that even when the intent is clear - provide the best possible user experience - somebody will screw it up - accidentally or deliberately. Or simply through obfuscation.

Aug 10, 2022 at 1:24 AM Post #97,789 of 150,710
Amazing story. I have one for you.

32 years ago, camping in the NC highlands. I was with several old buddies and their girlfriends/wives. It was at that stage where old male friendships end, and family obligations begin.

We had rented an old army big tent to serve as a gathering place, kitchen, and generally a place to get warm in the cold April night temps (old cast iron stove fueled by wood with stove pipe poking through the top of the tent). The couples were sleeping in their own small 2 person tents, loosely arranged around the big tent. I was single at the time, and had erected a hammock in the big tent.

The third night there, I wandered off by myself, to smoke a little herb, and get my drink on. Under the stars is fantastic. I fell asleep on the top of the hill.

Awakening the next day, I saw Rangers and others gathered around our campsite.

A large Black Bear had come across our camp, apparently in search of food. Early spring, and bears are hungry.

There wasn't enough left of my friends to bury.

Thank you fine Polish Vodka, and great Kentucky smoke.

Hope you enjoyed this novella.
today is neither april 1st nor halloween season... :thinking:

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2022 at 2:35 AM Post #97,790 of 150,710
Please excuse my ignorance, (but I do have the treatment for that: curiosity). I do not understand FFRR, FFSS, and the use of the term registrations in this context.
Thank you.
Full Frequency Range Recording (mono)
Full Frequency Stereophonic Sound.
A recording with minimum altering / producing was called a sound registration.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2022 at 8:29 AM Post #97,791 of 150,710
today is neither april 1st nor halloween season... :thinking:
Yeah. I could find no record of any fatal bear attacks in NC with single or multiple fatalities. A great story. Had me going. :wink:

In my search, I did run across an incident about a serial killer's prosthetic hook arm being found dangling from a car door handle after a couple visited a local make-out spot. :astonished:

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #97,793 of 150,710
Problem is, it's extra work for not extra profit. Otherwise, everyone would be doing it.
Sadly, that is the common denominator to most everything commercial. Thankfully Schiit bucks this trend!

Aug 10, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #97,794 of 150,710
Yeah. I could find no record of any fatal bear attacks in NC with single or multiple fatalities. A great story. Had me going. :wink:

In my search, I did run across an incident about a serial killer's prosthetic hook arm being found dangling from a car door handle after a couple visited a local make-out spot. :astonished:

ROARRR
1660141717680.png

Picture of cgb3 he forgot to attach...Ouch! :wink:

1660140938032.png

Yeah...for the most part, Black Bears aren't aggressive like the western bears (Polar, Grizzlies, Brown, etc.).
They'll usually avoid conflict/turn tail and run.
That said, if you happen to encounter one that doesn't, then it makes sense to Bee-Line it outta there!

BTW...Bees, Deer (accessory to murder), and Man's best friend kill more humans every year than Bears do. :astonished:

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #97,795 of 150,710
I think it makes most sense in conjunction with something like HQPlayer, i.e. a software player that allows you to pick your own filter. That pairs well with a NOS DAC so you don't run two filters in series. Though it would be nicest if we could actually access the Bifrost 2's fastest internal sample rate (384 kHz) via USB.

It also lowers the latency from over 3 ms for 44.1/48 kHz to under 0.5 ms, for whatever that's worth. Competitive gamers are known to turn off everything that makes a game prettier, but slower, so why not turn off what makes a DAC sound better, but later.

But, Jason's own words (emphasis mine):
Good shout. Makes sense. Not my bag, but I can understand someone wanting this. Thanks for taking the time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back