Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 22, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #96,722 of 149,609
That "Robbie The Robot" tube in the Lyr makes me want what ever amp it is in. That looks soooo coooool! It is probably not "standard" and therefor beyond my means. No a problem as pretty much every thing is beyond my means until I work and save for it! That does look neato though.

Has me wondering who manufactures it. The label on the far left side of the tube is red but can't read it. JJ's use that color red. But the top inside doesn't have the getter flash and I think most JJ 6SN7's do, or it's a trick of the light/photograph that makes it look different. And the silver band around the neck looks too regular to be the flashing.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #96,723 of 149,609
Must say how much I like where Schiit is going with product design. Thought Folkvangr was a real visual treat, and now the Lyr+ steps it up further with that "basket" below the tube. It's stylish, bordering on - dare I say it? - elegant. Good Lord, I just used "Schiit" and "elegant" in the same paragraph. Whooda thot it? (And I say that in the nicest way possible.) Can't wait to see what comes along next.

Jul 22, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #96,724 of 149,609
That basket makes tube extraction easy and adds a unique aesthetic, I don't think I've seen it before on any other amp design. But maybe others have used it.

Jul 22, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #96,725 of 149,609
Has me wondering who manufactures it. The label on the far left side of the tube is red but can't read it. JJ's use that color red. But the top inside doesn't have the getter flash and I think most JJ 6SN7's do, or it's a trick of the light/photograph that makes it look different. And the silver band around the neck looks too regular to be the flashing.
I know that I am very much interested in this Amp and all because of that cool looking tube. I am also interested in the Emotiva (I think he said) TA2(?). I think it is an integrated amp with a DAC built in and might be as close to an XDA-3 as Emotiva will ever come again. I can not find any pictures of it or the (I think) PA2(?). I am a visual individual and as I said before, if it plays music and the music sounds like what it is supposed to be and the equipment makes me smile just looking at it, that is all I need to want it. That and working/saving for it.

Thank you for your thoughts on those photos and what they might mean for the equipment!

That tube at approx 8:00 in to the video is pretty neato!

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #96,728 of 149,609
I appreciate the mention but I think the mURDerer amongst us is @StimpyWan :)

The only URD around here, will be mURDer, when I find you and eliminate you, for putting silly songs into my head...! 😵‍💫 🤬 😄

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #96,729 of 149,609
Sure, but could Schiit do a high quality 300b in the 1.7 to 2k range, excluding tubes? I would guess yes.
I raised this possibility on another audio forum recently. The general consensus is, the market for a 300B headphone amp is relatively small, and already very-well-served by boutique manufacturers. Yes, mass manufacturing could probably bring costs down at bit, but not by enough to make it worthwhile.

The real limiting factor on the lowest price for a 300B amp is the iron. For something to sound great you'd probably be choke-loading the 300B, and you'd need some really nice output transformers. Those costs just can't come down *that* far, no matter what your economies of scale.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #96,730 of 149,609
6nml9t.jpg

Jul 22, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #96,731 of 149,609
I raised this possibility on another audio forum recently. The general consensus is, the market for a 300B headphone amp is relatively small, and already very-well-served by boutique manufacturers. Yes, mass manufacturing could probably bring costs down at bit, but not by enough to make it worthwhile.

The real limiting factor on the lowest price for a 300B amp is the iron. For something to sound great you'd probably be choke-loading the 300B, and you'd need some really nice output transformers. Those costs just can't come down *that* far, no matter what your economies of scale.
All that is true. And there are plenty of others manufacturing 300B HP amps so... but to do it right, as you say, it's gonna cost.
But after 55 years of every other conceivable 9 pin and 8 pin tube design I've experienced, the mystique of the 300B is how I'd like to close out my audiophile career.

Jul 22, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #96,732 of 149,609
@Jason Stoddard In your interview with Randy (cheapaudioman) you mentioned that the Bitfrost 2/64 is your best performing multibit product to date. What exactly do you mean by this? What about Gumby and Yggy?
Best performing on the measurements rig. I'm sure it sounds awesome though.

Jul 22, 2022 at 7:20 PM Post #96,733 of 149,609
All that is true. And there are plenty of others manufacturing 300B HP amps so... but to do it right, as you say, it's gonna cost.
But after 55 years of every other conceivable 9 pin and 8 pin tube design I've experienced, the mystique of the 300B is how I'd like to close out my audiophile career.
Given what's on the market right now, I'd like to see Bottlehead create a mash-up of their Mainline, Stereomour and/or Kaiju amps as 2A3 or 300B beast specifically for headphones. Or perhaps an Elekit designed exclusively for headphones, with no regard for speakers.

Both of these options seem more likely than a Schiit 300B.

Jul 22, 2022 at 7:29 PM Post #96,734 of 149,609
BTW, Jason wrote that the Lyr+ is the + rather than the Lyr4 because he's determined to avoid the number 4 in new product names. Wonder if he's aware that 4 is considered very unlucky in several Asian cultures - supposedly because the word for it sounds uncomfortably close to the word for death. There's even a name for the psychological condition - tetraphobia. Please pardon my pedantry and enjoy your weekend.

Oh, and I really need one of those shirts Jason is wearing in the video. I shirt you not.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #96,735 of 149,609
Please delete, already covered

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back