Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 22, 2022 at 9:55 PM Post #96,751 of 145,602
Question for BF2/64 beta testers (assuming no NDA restrictions):

How does BF2/64 compare with original BF1 multibit when using 44.1/48k source material?

@Ripper2860 very interesting that you haven’t posted about ordering the /64 upgrades…

Oh you know he will.... just give him time :)

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2022 at 10:47 PM Post #96,753 of 145,602
From what I've been reading the current crop of top 300B's run the gamut sound-wise.

The Westinghouse 300B's (current issue not NOS that run 10 to 20 grand a pair) is cloer to that ol' time tube sound I grew up with in the 50's, 60's and into the 70's. Until I experienced the ARC SP3a1 and Dual 79B.

The Takatsuki 300B's are supposed to be extremely linear top to bottom, very little coloration, but with some desirable tube traits but not especially warm in that ol'time way.

And the Elrog300B's might be somewhere in between.

And there is a new player entering the fray, the Audio Note (UK) 4300E / 300B, too new here to be fully vetted at this point but if it pans out it will be a bargain price-wise in 300B world.

As usual, the associated equipment, and personal preferences, and perhaps even preferred music genres, might play a role for each individual listener.

And, the quest never ends.
I'm assuming you meant Western Electric? (sorry... I'm anal) 🤣

There's also the KR's and Emission Labs that are both very good.

In addition to the iron cost, there's the cost of the 300B's themselves. Good ones are expensive, and inexpensive ones aren't good. In fact, a pair of the good ones cost more than the majority of Schiit's current product offerings.

Maybe we're approaching this the wrong way. Hey @Jason Stoddard , how about a 2A3 amp? Less iron, cheaper tubes, less power (but still plenty enough grunt for headphones), and can kinda sorta sound almost like a 300B....

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2022 at 11:20 PM Post #96,754 of 145,602
I can only speak for myself, to me audio gear is like going through your clothes closet and finding items you have not worn for years and deciding they should go to make room for new things. Everything is relative. I have a couple tube type power amps I love, one I designed myself, but I will be buying another because objectively I like it better. Maybe subjectively I like it better. :ksc75smile:

But then you'll have nothing to wear to church this Sunday. :thinking:

1658546100128.png

Jul 22, 2022 at 11:29 PM Post #96,755 of 145,602
But still, the idea stuck: a tube amp that never needed a tube—
I was doing my best to take LISST in stride, but this is downright anarchy. I'd be much happier to see a transistor amp that didn't need transistors. 🤣

Jul 23, 2022 at 12:15 AM Post #96,756 of 145,602
Quick update on the Bifrost 2/64: once the new firmware is installed, you can swap back and forth between the original Bifrost 2 cards (AD5781 x 2) and the Bifrost 2/64 cards (DAC8812 x 4) cards at will. It will detect which card is which and will work for both. No firmware changes needed when swapping back and forth, so compare away!

@Jason Stoddard

Congrats on two very nice new products. Many BF2 owners will be ecstatic.

Does Lyr+ have more than one pair of (remote or front panel selectable) inputs, as there is no on-board module?
Yes, it has two analog inputs, selectable via front panel or remote. No on-board modules.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 23, 2022 at 12:17 AM Post #96,758 of 145,602
I'd be much happier to see a transistor amp that didn't need transistors. 🤣
How about a transistor amp that can bypass the transistors?
Wait. That's the new Lyr+ :laughing:

Jul 23, 2022 at 1:30 AM Post #96,759 of 145,602
Just to clarify, I'm well aware the odds of being struck by lightning are probably higher than those of there being a Schiit made 300B amplifier. I just thought it was interesting that Jason didn't feel such a product would be innovative or unique. Limited in appeal perhaps, yes, (much like the Folkvangr) but to those who are into it the idea of a truly affordable example of this type of amp from a company known for quality in both assembly and engineering work would be a pretty big deal in that crowd.

Jul 23, 2022 at 2:33 AM Post #96,760 of 145,602
Quick update on the Bifrost 2/64: once the new firmware is installed, you can swap back and forth between the original Bifrost 2 cards (AD5781 x 2) and the Bifrost 2/64 cards (DAC8812 x 4) cards at will. It will detect which card is which and will work for both. No firmware changes needed when swapping back and forth, so compare away!

Yes, it has two analog inputs, selectable via front panel or remote. No on-board modules.

This was a wise move that makes things so easy.

Jul 23, 2022 at 3:07 AM Post #96,761 of 145,602
Sounds like I may have an OG Gungnir MB for sale soon...
Yes, it does beg the question about how these new units compare sonically to the Gungnir MB and Mjolnir

... we know that there won't be a Mjolnir 3, Jason stated as much when he said the format factor was no longer appropriate. Does the same apply to the Gungnir ?

Are the Bifrost 2/64 and Lyr+ effectively replacements for those /

Jul 23, 2022 at 4:44 AM Post #96,762 of 145,602
Bifrost 2/64 upgrade will definitely be in the cards later this year after the wedding stuff.

Lyr+ is also intriguing, but as I have Ragnarok 1 already, I don’t see how it would fit my headphone system. Maybe I could hook it up to NAD M10 preout in the living room and have secondary headphone rig there..

Jul 23, 2022 at 6:55 AM Post #96,764 of 145,602
I'm assuming you meant Western Electric? (sorry... I'm anal) 🤣

There's also the KR's and Emission Labs that are both very good.

In addition to the iron cost, there's the cost of the 300B's themselves. Good ones are expensive, and inexpensive ones aren't good. In fact, a pair of the good ones cost more than the majority of Schiit's current product offerings.

Maybe we're approaching this the wrong way. Hey @Jason Stoddard , how about a 2A3 amp? Less iron, cheaper tubes, less power (but still plenty enough grunt for headphones), and can kinda sorta sound almost like a 300B....
DOH! Yah, Western Electric, Westinghouse made a very nice 6SN7.
Edit: Corrected my post, LOL.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 7:00 AM Post #96,765 of 145,602
Jason's answer was: nevergonnahappen.com
True, that's why I'm investigating the many other options that are available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back