Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 23, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #88,696 of 150,597
What do you think of this combo/stack: Magnius, Modius & Lokius? I don’t need balance right now, but want the option, and the EQ is a must.

F4301B17-1F0A-4759-98C9-F0FB016F3799.png

Feb 23, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #88,697 of 150,597
What do you think of this combo/stack: Magnius, Modius & Lokius? I don’t need balance right now, but want the option, and the EQ is a must.

I did like the Modius when I had it even though I only used the SE outs. Is Hardware EQ a must, or just EQ? I've never been much for EQ but after trying APO I'm fine with using a digital EQ for when the mood strikes. However with non-USB sources or anything that doesn't use a GUI I can see the appeal for something like a Lokius.

I think Schiit warns about this now but you may also want to split the order up into just Magnius and a separate Modius/Lokius order if you want gear sooner. Doing all at once may cause your order to sit around for a while.

Feb 23, 2022 at 8:48 PM Post #88,698 of 150,597
You can get a very nice turntable (or three) for the $430 you paid in 1977 dollars.

Screenshot 2022-02-23 4.40.14 PM.png

By the way, there's a decent chance that VW your roommate purchased still works.

In the other hand, instead of that turntable, you could have bought a little Berkshire Hathaway stock...

Screenshot 2022-02-23 5.22.43 PM.png
I should have bought the Berkshire Hathaway stock! Or bought the VW (a used Beetle) and put it up on blocks. True side story, I bought the $430 turntable because I was about to get engaged. As a girlfriend the young lady did not get to vote, as a fiancé she would get a vote on how I spent my money. Married 43 years now, she is awesome and would let me buy any audio gear that I think I can afford. I underestimated her then.

Feb 23, 2022 at 8:56 PM Post #88,699 of 150,597
I did like the Modius when I had it even though I only used the SE outs. Is Hardware EQ a must, or just EQ? I've never been much for EQ but after trying APO I'm fine with using a digital EQ for when the mood strikes. However with non-USB sources or anything that doesn't use a GUI I can see the appeal for something like a Lokius.

I think Schiit warns about this now but you may also want to split the order up into just Magnius and a separate Modius/Lokius order if you want gear sooner. Doing all at once may cause your order to sit around for a while.
Thanks for the reply. I perfer the EQ hardware… I have the Magni, Modi and Loki now, and really like the Loki. Yeah, I see that there is a 4-6 week wait for the Magnius.

Feb 23, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #88,700 of 150,597
Thanks for the reply. I perfer the EQ hardware… I have the Magni, Modi and Loki now, and really like the Loki. Yeah, I see that there is a 4-6 week wait for the Magnius.
If you start with the Lokius, you can use it's front panel switch to select between an SE (RCA) connected Modi and a second (typically XLR) source.

this second source into Modius can also be an SE (RCA) source with a suitable RCA plug to male-XLR adapter cable (RCA shield to both XLR pin 1 and pin 3, RCA center pin to XLR pin 2).

Note that adapting the Lokius XLR output into an SE amplifier or pre-amp input has a different pinout (female-XLR pin 1 to RCA shield, XLR pin 2 to RCA center pin, XLR pin 3 unconnected)

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2022 at 9:01 PM Post #88,701 of 150,597
I am hoping you all argue a bit and help me decide. I bought a very high quality turntable in 1977, it cost $430, my room mate bought a VW for $500 at about the same time. That turntable still works, but I gave it to my hipster daughter ten years ago. I cannot take it back. I do not want a VW-priced turntable. But, again, I will learn if smart people debate.
Easy-peasy. Buy your hipster daughter a brand-spankin' shiny new Pro-ject or similar for ~$250 and let her continue to be amazed at how special a Dad you are. Then go a step further and get rid of the 'old' one for her and save her the trouble. 😂

Feb 23, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #88,702 of 150,597
Easy-peasy. Buy your hipster daughter a brand-spankin' shiny new Pro-ject or similar for ~$250 and let her continue to be amazed at how special a Dad you are. Then go a step further and get rid of the 'old' one for her and save her the trouble. 😂
She has my film Nikon cameras, too! I will not go back to analog pictures.

Feb 23, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #88,703 of 150,597
Vinyl is such a waste of time...
It is only a waste of time, if you have the time to waste.

When ever I have the time to spend, I try to spend it on what makes me smile. Some times it is listening to the memories within the music, others it is in making new memories. I do not neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed vinyl for that.

I just want it. Of course, I am just a toad...

Feb 23, 2022 at 10:38 PM Post #88,704 of 150,597
I'm just grateful one does not have to remove the cover. :D

(Having the subsonic switch more easily accessible would have been nice, however)
Buy some stick-on feet and flip it over. And hide it behind your 'table. Not like it needs to be visible. Just accessible.

Feb 23, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #88,705 of 150,597
And have a toothpick handy to flip the dip switch back and forth as required. 🙄

Feb 23, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #88,706 of 150,597
Mani 2 ordered. I was thinking of replacing the Thorens one I have (which, TBF, has a A/D in it) as it only just understands what an RIAA curve is, so I hear.

Silver, of course. I try not to buy more dust magnets.

Lastly, a question. What are the differences between Tyr, Aegir and Vidar? I mean, besides order-of-magnitude power output differences....

Feb 24, 2022 at 1:11 AM Post #88,708 of 150,597
And have a toothpick handy to flip the dip switch back and forth as required. 🙄
or just wait for the Manius Maximus. You know, the Yggy sized version with remote control and other crazy schiit courtesy of the feverish mind of @Jason Stoddard :laughing:

Feb 24, 2022 at 1:26 AM Post #88,709 of 150,597
2022, Chapter 3
Turd Polishing
Very nicely composed telling of the Schiit Mani 2 phono-stage development story. Fantastic read!

But then, I’m a total electronics geek who also designs this kind of stuff.

Elegant design! And the price is just *unbelievably* reasonable.

BTW: I designed the all-tube phono MM&HOMC phono stage accessory unit for the ALO Studio-Six headphone amp. And so yes, I know well that getting a phono-stage to work right and keeping it quiet while also sounding good..... and.... making the circuit *reliably reproducible in production* —this is not exactly a casual weekend endeavor 🥵

Cutting the Johnson noise and avoiding unintended stealth LF feedback via power supply rails — engineering challenges for the big boys and girls.

Sincere Kudos to you folks at Schiit. Yet again —very well done guys 👏😉

johnson cut 2.gif

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back