Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 8, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #88,216 of 152,491
Now you've got my attention. I've had my Asgard 3 a long time. If you just got it then are you using a stock tube ? In your opinion it's worth the move to the Lyr 3? I know your Mimby does. :)
@ssmith3046 Depends on your cans. I run an A3 and Lyr3 (stock tube) on the same signal split out of a BF2, something like the RS1e sings on the Lyr3 but not the A3, something like the LCD-2 sounds great on both. The improvement for the Grados is not subtle.

Feb 8, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #88,217 of 152,491
Feb 8, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #88,219 of 152,491
@ssmith3046 Depends on your cans. I run an A3 and Lyr3 (stock tube) on the same signal split out of a BF2, something like the RS1e sings on the Lyr3 but not the A3, something like the LCD-2 sounds great on both. The improvement for the Grados is not subtle.
Thanks for the reply. I'll have to do a little research and see how my Focal Clear headphones match up with the Lyr 3.

Feb 8, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #88,221 of 152,491
Feb 8, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #88,222 of 152,491
Last edited:
Feb 8, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #88,223 of 152,491
Now you've got my attention. I've had my Asgard 3 a long time. If you just got it then are you using a stock tube ? In your opinion it's worth the move to the Lyr 3? I know your Mimby does. :)
I quickly replaced the stock JJ with an Electro-Harmonix - which is nicer and not outlandish. The difference is that it builds upon the strengths and presentation of the Asgard 3. Has a beefier and more tuneful bass, while the treble is more even-handed - further refined without loss of detail and extension. Sound stage is similar, a tiny bit more depth and takes maybe one step backwards from the performers. It seems to induce more foot tapping, which is a very good sign.

Andrew

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #88,224 of 152,491
Van Morrison's Wavelength was pretty popular back in the day (man I'm old!)

This track popped onto my Discover Weekly Playlist on Spotify... one of the reasons we still subscribe... plus the fact we have 6 of us of our family plan.

Feb 8, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #88,225 of 152,491
Any guesses on what the final pricepoint for the Urd will be? I seem to remember $1200 being mentioned.

I currently have an audiolab 6000cdt that I will be sending back shortly as it scuffs cds from time to time so I'd rather just send it back and wait for the Urd to be released

Feb 8, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #88,226 of 152,491
Any guesses on what the final pricepoint for the Urd will be? I seem to remember $1200 being mentioned.

I currently have an audiolab 6000cdt that I will be sending back shortly as it scuffs cds from time to time so I'd rather just send it back and wait for the Urd to be released
Sorry to hear your 6000CDT scuffs up your CDs. I feel lucky that I got a non-scratcher. I really like the Audiolab and if the Urd is $1200 that will be definitely out of my price range. I'm retired so I have to watch the $$$.

Feb 8, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #88,227 of 152,491
"The first of the shockingly good stuff is coming soon."

Urd? :smiley_cat:
The first is clearly Tyr, which already has a photo on the Schiit website and would have been already shipping now except for a delay (see Jason's post).

I just noticed that shadows in the photo don't make sense. The rack and the cabinet have shadows going in opposite directions, and there are shadows for speaker wires that aren't there.

loki%20max%20insitu%201920.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #88,228 of 152,491
Sorry to hear your 6000CDT scuffs up your CDs. I feel lucky that I got a non-scratcher. I really like the Audiolab and if the Urd is $1200 that will be definitely out of my price range. I'm retired so I have to watch the $$$.
If budget is tight, then look at Cambridge CXC V2 (or used CXC V1, same internals with new color scheme & front panel aesthetics). Or any new CD player with coaxial s/pdif digital output

(added)
if buying new, also order a spare transport assembly or two (includes pre-aligned laser head, sled mechanism, spindle motor) from the mfr's replacement parts center before that model goes out of production.

IIRC, for Urd Jason / Mike had mentioned that Schiit had ordered plenty of spare laser heads, etc. to support warranty and future out-of-warranty repairs.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #88,229 of 152,491
No, both of those version 2s just came out in the last couple years. I'd really like to see a Modius Multibit.
Jason had mentioned that Modi Multibit was supposed to be on its last run due to it being really difficult to make. Got a reprieve when the AKM factory caught on fire.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-4414#post-15942607

My un-informed opinion for a spiritual successor to Modi Multibit is
  • Go to a Modius-size chassis to have more board space and possibly eliminate the need for parts on both sides.
  • Keep the architecture as True Multibit (meaning Schiit filter + IC multibit DAC) with whatever DAC chip they think will work in this product (I'm sure they have experimented with several new DAC chips with the Yggdrasil flavors so a hand-me-down version could work here).
  • Keep it single-ended only. This is meant to be the gateway into Schiit multibit implementation, not as a poor-man's Bifrost 2.
  • Unison USB, coax SPDIF, and optical SPDIF. If space/cost allows add an AES/EBU or BNC SPDIF input and/or extra set of RCA outputs.
  • Power supply as dictated by technical and cost requirements. I'd guess that the multibit architecture would mean wall-wart powered (as opposed to USB-powered) like current Modi Multibit but cost requirements would prohibit an internal transformer.
  • $300-$350 target price, when taking into account larger chassis. I think this would be at the sweet spot where it's does not compete with Modi entry-level price or takes away from Bifrost 2's overall more capable design.
    • Though, if Modi MB at $250 currently has slow sales (I don't know if this is true or not), a $300-$350 price might actually kill this idea from the get go...
  • Rename it something else. Can't be a Modi anymore due to different chassis size. I also don't think it'd fit as a "Modius Multibit" since it'd not be balanced.

Disclaimer: I currently have 2x Modi Multibit and a Bifrost 2 for different systems.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #88,230 of 152,491
Jason had mentioned that Modi Multibit was supposed to be on its last run due to it being really difficult to make. Got a reprieve when the AKM factory caught on fire.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-4414#post-15942607

My un-informed opinion for a spiritual successor to Modi Multibit is
  • Go to a Modius-size chassis to have more board space and possibly eliminate the need for parts on both sides.
  • Keep the architecture as True Multibit (meaning Schiit filter + IC multibit DAC) with whatever DAC chip they think will work in this product (I'm sure they have experimented with several new DAC chips with the Yggdrasil flavors so a hand-me-down version could work here).
  • Keep it single-ended only. This is meant to be the gateway into Schiit multibit implementation, not as a poor-man's Bifrost 2.
  • Unison USB, coax SPDIF, and optical SPDIF. If space/cost allows add an AES/EBU or BNC SPDIF input and/or extra set of RCA outputs.
  • Power supply as dictated by technical and cost requirements. I'd guess that the multibit architecture would mean wall-wart powered (as opposed to USB-powered) like current Modi Multibit but cost requirements would prohibit an internal transformer.
  • $300-$350 target price, when taking into account larger chassis. I think this would be at the sweet spot where it's does not compete with Modi entry-level price or takes away from Bifrost 2's overall more capable design.
    • Though, if Modi MB at $250 currently has slow sales (I don't know if this is true or not), a $300-$350 price might actually kill this idea from the get go...
  • Rename it something else. Can't be a Modi anymore due to different chassis size. I also don't think it'd fit as a "Modius Multibit" since it'd not be balanced.

Disclaimer: I currently have 2x Modi Multibit and a Bifrost 2 for different systems.
Can I be the first to name it the ‘Mimbius’?

By the way what are your thoughts be around the sound of Bifrost 2 vs Modi Multibit?

Andrew

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back