Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 9, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #88,246 of 153,933
Ive said it before and I will say it again. Modi Multibit (mimby forever) is a fantastic piece of equipment....

I'd bet Schiit has no interest in a loss leader, but damn, the importance of Mimby cannot be stressed enough. (To my journey at least)
I second that. I think that no multibit option below Bifrost2 would leave a big hole in the lineup, so if the Mimby bites it, here’s to Modius Multibit :beerchug:

Feb 9, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #88,247 of 153,933
Ive said it before and I will say it again. Modi Multibit (mimby forever) is a fantastic piece of equipment....

I'd bet Schiit has no interest in a loss leader, but damn, the importance of Mimby cannot be stressed enough. (To my journey at least)

I bought Magni in December 2017, and it was nice, I liked it, but it didnt kick start my heart the way Modi Multibit did when I got it in May/June of 2018.

I was able to compare mimby to a bunch of other dacs through my Magni 3, and Modi Multibit was what really set off the audio obsession.

I keep hoping for a Unison mimby in the same sized chassis as Modius. (I want to say mimbius has been used before, great name).

Here's hoping the new chipsets from TI get trickled down to cheaper dacs in the future.

I dont care what size chassis or dac chip gets used, I hope to always see a Schiit multibit being offered in the 250 to 350 range.
I share your enthusiasm for the Modi multibit. Best $249 I ever spent.

Feb 9, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #88,248 of 153,933
I picked up a used Modi Multibit just because I’m a poor audiophile. I wanted to hear what mb was all about. I was instantly hooked!

In my experience most ds dacs sound the same but I have heard some differences. My Musical Fidelity dac sounded much more lively which made my Cambridge Audio dac sound lifeless and boring in comparison.

But Modi MB had “flow”. It sounded more like a performance. The soundstage was different too. Hard to describe but I liked it.

Anyway, I liked what I heard so much that I rebuilt one of my tube amps and sold it to pay for Yggy GS. Which I also love! One of these days I’ll probably send it in for upgrades but for now it works well.

I still use Modi MB with Vali 2+ for headphone listening at night.

I agree with the others that think there should still be an entry level Multibit dac available even if it has to cost $350. In fact most non audiophiles would consider that to be a high price! But it’s a lot more affordable than $699.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #88,250 of 153,933
I love this. The idea of keeping it single ended especially. The need for Schiit to do balanced 'right' at this point sends the price of anything like that to $699. Frankly, I'm not sure how they do it single ended for the price you suggest ... I doubt they could get it done for $400 ... at $500 it's a BiFrost mini. The more I think about this the stranger it is they sell the Mimby for $250. I liked the way it sounded, but the BiFrost seems more fun (Mimby struck me as mellow fwiw).

On the other hand, I'm not 100% sure a Mimby+ at over $299 is the same kind of introductory to MB device is really ought to be. BiFrost is too good to pretend otherwise.
Not sure how they sell the current Modi MB for $250. It's a huge value. I'm just blue-skying with my idea. Like Tafens said:
I think that no multibit option below Bifrost2 would leave a big hole in the lineup
Regardless of if/when we get a successor to Modi MB or what it ends up being, I'd certainly buy 1 for $300-$350 for my 2-ch system. I don't use it enough to justify another Bifrost 2, but a new, cheaper True Multibit would definitely be worth it for my use case.

Feb 9, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #88,252 of 153,933
By the way what are your thoughts be around the sound of Bifrost 2 vs Modi Multibit?
A bit more complicated for me. I changed my system in steps from Modi MB -> Asgard 3 -> 6XX to Bifrost 2 -> SW51+ -> Aeolus. The first thing I got was the Aeolus, then the Bifrost 2, finally the SW51+. Best direct comparison I can remember was the change I perceived from Modi MB -> Asgard 3 -> 6XX/Aeolus to Bifrost 2 -> Asgard 3 -> 6XX/Aeolus:

With Modi MB -> Asgard 3, going from 6XX to Aeolus was "just nice" (bit more resolution and headstage) but I thought the upgrade to Aeolus wasn't worth $1,200. I was slightly disappointed. All that changed when the Bifrost 2 came in (within a couple of weeks). The veil was lifted and the bass slam and clarity were improved. Bifrost 2 has a less dark tonality but similar warmth to the Modi MB. What really sets the Bifrost 2 apart for me is that the warmth is done right. The bass is not muddied and has better texture/definition than Modi MB. Now I feel like the investment was worth it.

As always, usual caveats: To my ears, my preferences, systems synergies, etc....

Feb 9, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #88,253 of 153,933
I came across an album (Arzachel, by Uriel from 1969) that actually sounds better on my iPhone with AirPods Pro than my Bifrost 2/Jotunheim 2. This album, though supposedly remastered, has so much distortion (noise floor modulation?) that is very obvious when rendered on the Bifrost, much less so on the iPhone/APP.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #88,254 of 153,933
I came across an album (Arzachel, by Uriel from 1969) that actually sounds better on my iPhone with AirPods Pro than my Bifrost 2/Jotunheim 2. This album, though supposedly remastered, has so much distortion (noise floor modulation?) that is very obvious when rendered on the Bifrost, much less so on the iPhone/APP.
Interesting. I also have AirPods Pro with my iPhone and they are great for their use-case, I like them a lot. They do, however, for most music (all I have heard with them actually) not stand a chance against the Bifrost2->Lyr3->HD6XX. Nor should they :beyersmile: But they are great for what they are nonetheless.

One very interesting thing with them though, is that the sound and soundstage improves a lot in my ears when they are in noise cancelling or transparency mode as opposed to “off” 🤷‍♂️

Feb 9, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #88,255 of 153,933
Poor? Pictures of your system that you've posted in the past, suggest otherwise! :sunglasses:

My turntable and integrated amp are over 20 years old. I saved for 2 months and ate a lot of Ramen for that Bryston integrated because I wanted something that would last a long time.

My big tube amps were bought used and I rebuilt them one at time. I built my dual subs from kits 8 years ago and the tops around 4 years ago with the help of tax return and bonus money. I got really lucky with those. Yeah, I spent a lot on them but I wanted endgame speakers and I got them. For years I braided my own interconnects until I found a reasonably priced cable that actually sounded better. My Kimber 4TC speaker cables are over 10 years old too.

I also never had kids. (Those are even more expensive!)

Feb 9, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #88,256 of 153,933
A bit more complicated for me. I changed my system in steps from Modi MB -> Asgard 3 -> 6XX to Bifrost 2 -> SW51+ -> Aeolus. The first thing I got was the Aeolus, then the Bifrost 2, finally the SW51+. Best direct comparison I can remember was the change I perceived from Modi MB -> Asgard 3 -> 6XX/Aeolus to Bifrost 2 -> Asgard 3 -> 6XX/Aeolus:
I have had quite the journey too (and loved it too), starting with Modi2U+Magni2U+HD590 (yup, 590, some seem to hate it, I still think it’s a nice headphone). Then I got an HD600, later the Modi Multibit+Magni3. Continued with HD6XX and later on a Lyr3 with multibit card. Then Bifrost2 and here I am :L3000:
That’s quite a bit of Shiit I guess!

Feb 9, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #88,257 of 153,933
I also never had kids. (Those are even more expensive!)
They are indeed, I have a few of those too, and also gave two of them some Schiit for Christmas, too (Fulla2) :)

Feb 9, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #88,258 of 153,933
Second, I ordered, and have received, two pair of Blue Jeans interconnects. I ordered them late last week and received them yesterday; super-fast shipping. I can't believe so many here recommended these: they aren't even labeled with proper signal directionality. My Audiophilia Nervosa is making it impossible for me to concentrate on my music.

Its a closely-held secret, the lettering on the cable jacket should read normally when looking from source to sink. I did read a rumor that if they are plugged in backwards you could hear "Paul is dead" at a very low level when your system is idle, but I never tried that with mine ... I bought the optional Techflex, which transforms them into non-directional cables.

:relaxed::relaxed::relaxed::relaxed::relaxed::relaxed::relaxed::relaxed::relaxed::relaxed:
Alan

Feb 9, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #88,259 of 153,933
UPDATE: The Analog To Digital device works from a Surface Pro. I used the headphone out on my computer 2 days ago so did not consider there was an issue with the headphone jack. Now to figure out how to fix that.

Posting here as I found out about the Inday DA4X-R device here and maybe someone has experience with using an Analog To Digital device from a computer audio out

Background: I stream using an Allo UsBridge Sig into BiFrost USB and need a way to pass my computer into the BiFrost, mostly to listen to video content

For the BiFrost Coaxial input I recently purchased a Digital Audio Switcher with 4 ports.

1 - I have a Shanling CD transport hooked up, that works fine.
2 - I use a Douk Audio USB Converter XMOS and a USB C to USB Adapter that allows me to input to the BiFrost from an Android phone and tablet via the Switcher.

3 - I just purchased an Analog to Digital Audio Converter , connected to it from my computer (Dell Inspiron) however it does not work. I just hear static when turned up at high volumes. I have tried both a 3.5MM to RCA cable and also a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable, neither appears to work

Is it possible to do what I want to do? There are several other Analog to Digital converters i found. Most mention things like a PS4, play station, but most do not mention a computer specifically. They mention 3.5mm, Aux, etc.

It's not a show stopper as I can use my tablet, but it would be great if I can get audio from my computer to go thru my system

(For the BiFrost Optical input I use my Cowan Plenue MK II. The versatility of the BiFrost is awesome in that I can use my stack from almost any device.)

Thanks, q

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #88,260 of 153,933
Interesting. I also have AirPods Pro with my iPhone and they are great for their use-case, I like them a lot. They do, however, for most music (all I have heard with them actually) not stand a chance against the Bifrost2->Lyr3->HD6XX. Nor should they :beyersmile: But they are great for what they are nonetheless.

One very interesting thing with them though, is that the sound and soundstage improves a lot in my ears when they are in noise cancelling or transparency mode as opposed to “off” 🤷‍♂️
Most of my equipment sounds better when I turn it "on" as opposed to "off", just kidding. I use Air Pods Max at work and I would say the same thing. I would guess it has to do with processing involved. Pobably tuned for active noise cancelling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back