Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 27, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #66,197 of 149,271
Okay, all, time for a moment of silence: Modi Multibit is on its last run.

If you have a Modi Multibit in backorder, we'll fulfill all backorders when we have new stock, so no worries there. If you want one, it's time to get in the backorder queue. We'll turn off ordering if we sell the entire next run into backorder, so again, no worries in ordering something that might not ever be shipped.

But after the current run, that's the end.

Yes, I know, this is terrible, this is awful, this is the end of the world. Especially since there's no firm plan to replace Modi Multibit. Blame slow sales, blame hard-to-get parts, or blame the fact that it's a really, really difficult product to make. But it's going away, period, full stop.

So what might replace it? As I said, we don't know. Maybe nothing. We've played with a lot of things, but none have really solved the hard-to-build and expensive-to-build problem of a small multibit DAC, with one exception: NOS. As in, a non-oversampling multibit DAC. Some people love NOS DACs. Some people hate them. I'm not sure if the world is ready for a multibit DAC from us that isn't a True Multibit DAC--as in, a DAC that uses both own own digital filter and a multibit D/A converter. I haven't discussed this in depth with Mike, either, so this is totally blue-sky.

In any case, there's no plan and no timeline for replacing Modi Multibit, so I figured I'd let everyone know.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 27, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #66,198 of 149,271
Oh the humanity!

Oct 27, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #66,200 of 149,271
My latest addition to my small stack of Schiit. I was disappointed not to find it on the Schiit website. Of course, I checked B-stock first, then under Upgrades, expecting to find it between the Bifrost 4490 and Bifrost MB. Since it wasn't there, (@Jason Stoddard, what's up with not keeping essential accessories and upgrades in stock?), I supported a local business. The store also had some Highland Park in stock, but I opted for:

Scotch mod.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #66,201 of 149,271
I was thinking and thinking about buying amimby, but I couldn’t pull the trigger, and got a Modius instead. I bet others did the same thing. Are we ever going to see a mimby with a unison board?

Oct 27, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #66,202 of 149,271
So what might replace it? As I said, we don't know. Maybe nothing. We've played with a lot of things, but none have really solved the hard-to-build and expensive-to-build problem of a small multibit DAC, with one exception: NOS. As in, a non-oversampling multibit DAC. Some people love NOS DACs. Some people hate them. I'm not sure if the world is ready for a multibit DAC from us that isn't a True Multibit DAC--as in, a DAC that uses both own own digital filter and a multibit D/A converter. I haven't discussed this in depth with Mike, either, so this is totally blue-sky.
NOS with support for a high enough sample rate seems like a good idea. That way people can do the oversampling with software (if they want to).

Oct 27, 2020 at 8:47 PM Post #66,203 of 149,271
Well, hell!! If I knew Modi Multibit was going to become a collector's item, I wouldn't have handed it down to my future son-in-law. Of course, if they break-up I could ask for it back. :smirk:

** Modi MB holds a place near and dear -- it and Magni 3 were my intro to Schiit. :frowning2:

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #66,204 of 149,271
My latest addition to my small stack of Schiit. I was disappointed not to find it on the Schiit website. Of course, I checked B-stock first, then under Upgrades, expecting to find it between the Bifrost 4490 and Bifrost MB. Since it wasn't there, (@Jason Stoddard, what's up with not keeping essential accessories and upgrades in stock?), I supported a local business. The store also had some Highland Park in stock, but I opted for:

Scotch mod.jpg
Be sure to let me know if you like it or if I misled you. :)

Oct 27, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #66,205 of 149,271
Dood, if all you need is a few spare hands, clearly we have available labor.

Thanks for the update. Sad, but now I'm old school I suppose.

q: what if I lose my wall wart? Should I grab a spare or you guys have stock? I can't imagine they'll be easy to replace.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #66,207 of 149,271
The Laddie makes a bunch of great secondary distillations - the Octomore I mentioned, along with Port Charlotte.

ed
@Varejao17 and @Ableza
Bruichladdich Octomore is a truly hard core peaty whisky!
A friend of mine, whose mother once lived on Islay, knows the Master Distiller, Jim McEwan. Jim created many of the Bruichladdich malts including Octomore.
He sounds a wonderful character who has won many awards in a long and distinguished career.

Oct 27, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #66,208 of 149,271
Dood, if all you need is a few spare hands, clearly we have available labor.

Thanks for the update. Sad, but now I'm old school I suppose.

q: what if I lose my wall wart? Should I grab a spare or you guys have stock? I can't imagine they'll be easy to replace.

Tons of stock on wall-warts, we use them in Loki, so they're not going away.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 27, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #66,210 of 149,271

If you have a Modi Multibit in backorder, we'll fulfill all backorders when we have new stock, so no worries there. If you want one, it's time to get in the backorder queue. We'll turn off ordering if we sell the entire next run into backorder, so again, no worries in ordering something that might not ever be shipped.

But after the current run, that's the end.

Yes, I know, this is terrible, this is awful, this is the end of the world. Especially since there's no firm plan to replace Modi Multibit. Blame slow sales, blame hard-to-get parts, or blame the fact that it's a really, really difficult product to make. But it's going away, period, full stop.

In any case, there's no plan and no timeline for replacing Modi Multibit, so I figured I'd let everyone know.

Sorry to hear that. I love my Modi Multibit - and now I have to decide if I should by another one as a spare. First-world problem, I know. IMHO this leaves a bit of a hole in your product line though - there's the Modius at $199 and the Bifrost 2 at $699 but nothing in between, and the Bifrost now becomes the entry-level product to the multibit world.

I for one am intrigued by the idea of a NOS DAC, at least if the price can be kept reasonable. I don't have a lot of experience with NOS DACs - I had the BorderPatrol DAC for a while but I ended up going back to the Modi Multibit because I liked the treble of the Modi Multibit better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back