Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 27, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #66,213 of 150,387
Well Schiit. I was just figuring out what to do at my work headphone station. Just ordered Modi MultiBit to go with Magni Heresy. Damn Jason you are killing me.

I have ordered in a couple month time frame
Asgard 2
Magni Heresy
Fulla 3 (for my Son)
Modi MultiBit.
Plus a pair of Drop Sennheiser Hd6xx.

Only bummer is that Modi MultiBit only comes in Silver. All else was black, but it will match my RPi.

Oct 27, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #66,216 of 150,387
Modi Multibit is on its last run
Glad I got my 2 B-stocks in the past couple of months. The first one was out of my own personal curiosity to hear the Multibit sound for myself. I liked it almost instantly so I got a second one for the office setup.

That second one was a hard decision between the Modi MB and Modius. Part of me wanted to buy something different (Modius). But I have a Modi 3. So I was telling myself: Do I want a super Modi or do I want some more Multibit sound? Went with the Modi MB.

That's my story (so far) with the Mimby. Glad I got the opportunity to try it.

If it wasn't for Mimby, I'd never be able to experience the Multibit sound on an entry level system. For me to get something like the Bifrost 2, it would have to be what I'd consider my personal endgame.

I guess I got lucky with the timing but I hope Schiit considers bringing back an entry level Multibit DAC in the future.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #66,217 of 150,387
Honestly think they should give superb peripheral components (power, clocks, layout to breath) to help multibit succeed / shine & let it do its thing. Discontinue the MB cards also!
+1 that its hard to make a low-cost True Multibit (r2r DAC + comboburrito DSP filter), and fit it into the small Modi chassis. Mimby is double-sided SMT plus leaded (pin-thru-hole) layout to do that, meaning tricky and costly assembly & test.

The Bifrost MB (gen 1) and up have the advantage of a much bigger chassis, to fit a more advanced and more powerful multi-voltage power supply (custom on board transformer, multiple rails, multiple linear regulators / filtering, etc) plus the electromagnetic USB port isolation (Gen 5 or Unison).

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2020 at 12:41 AM Post #66,218 of 150,387
Okay, all, time for a moment of silence: Modi Multibit is on its last run.

What a pity, but I guess that's the reality of manufacturing

Thanks for making the Modi Multibit in the first place, it literally revived my interest in hi-fi since it is the cheapest way to try out the R2R technology, and boy still am I hooked to it today!

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2020 at 12:47 AM Post #66,219 of 150,387
Well Schiit. I was just figuring out what to do at my work headphone station. Just ordered Modi MultiBit to go with Magni Heresy. Damn Jason you are killing me.

I have ordered in a couple month time frame
Asgard 2
Magni Heresy
Fulla 3 (for my Son)
Modi MultiBit.
Plus a pair of Drop Sennheiser Hd6xx.

Only bummer is that Modi MultiBit only comes in Silver. All else was black, but it will match my RPi.

i used to own a black one before selling to upgrade to bifrost 2

20200925-185020-2.jpg

Oct 28, 2020 at 12:57 AM Post #66,220 of 150,387
I just realised that I haven't changed the firmware chip yet

Now it feels more tempted to simply buy the "new" Modi Multibit and then keep this Modi Multibit as a spare and maybe display it since it has those legacy "Made in the US" markings too! :p

But real question, how will the support be like for these Modi Multibit in the future (especially the firmware chip)?

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2020 at 1:21 AM Post #66,221 of 150,387
I had a Modi MB for almost 3 years. (Jan 2017-Nov 2019) Replaced it with the Bifrost MB from the super sale last year. It was a great DAC.

Oct 28, 2020 at 2:38 AM Post #66,222 of 150,387
Sad to hear about modi multibits demise. Hope it gets replaced. I gotta think that DAC was the gateway drug into schiit for so many repeat customers. It was for me. Mimby was my first DAC.

I kept hoping for a modius multibitius that was in the same chassis as modius for 3-350.

Bifrost at 699 is a huge leap of faith for someone that has never heard multibit. Modi multibit was worth trying at 250.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2020 at 3:07 AM Post #66,223 of 150,387
Ok guys, after a good lunch with my family (quite important especially in erm, recent times) and some coffee (also important too, never let someone part with his/her coffee), here's my calculations on whether getting a (or rather, another) Modi Multibit makes sense, especially since I do have the first version of it.

1. There is practically no other Multibit/R2R DAC of this price range; others cost at least 2x to even 4x of this. (e.g. in my case, I will need to pay at least 800 SGD more for the next level, which is the Bifrost 2)
2. There is practically no other Multibit/R2R DAC of this physical size; others are as big as a Playstation 4 or Xbox X at least
3. Most Modi Multibit sold during its initial years (2016 to 2017) would have their warranties expire by now. Buying a second one means you have two more years of support but obviously only for the new Modi Multibit
4. The newer ones also have the upgraded firmware (and even motherboard version?). I understand that these help to improve the sound quality, but not to a day-and-night difference level
5. Combining points 3 and 4, if you want your current Modi Multibit to receive these upgrades, you will need to pay at least 1/3 to even 1/2 of the price of a new Modi Multibit as you will need to pay for shipping both ways (especially for international customers like me). You can try to reduce the costs of this by doing the firmware upgrade yourself but if that didn't work out, you still need to send it in.
6. If you are using multiple sources (3 and above), having a second Modi Multibit means being able to use Coaxial/Optical for all of them (assuming that your source is not restricted to USB) since you will now have two of each. Only side effect of this is needing to power up both Modi Multibits (easy, most power strips will be fine) and needing to switch between them (not so easy but that's what SYS is for :wink: )

7. The only thing that will make all of these calculations moot is a Modius Multibit. This seems technically possible due to its physical size but given its newness I highly doubt it.

Am I making sense or am I still clouded by nostalgia etc etc?

Oct 28, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #66,224 of 150,387
Talisker is very nice.
Laphroaig ( and Lagavulin) are definitely ‘hard core’ peaty malts!
My favourites from Islay are Bowmore and Bunnahabhain.
I have visited both distilleries.

Mmmh, Laphroaig...

Every now and then we have whiskey-evenings with my mother’s new husband, and he once gave me the idea that instead of collecting a bunch of whiskeys from different distilleries, it would be cool to collect different bottles from one distillery.

With that in mind, I’ve bought a couple of Laphroaigs and plan grow the collection slowly over time. I’ll add some other brands in the collection as well. Namely some hard-to-pronounce Islays, maybe a Japanese whiskey and one from Kyrö distillery when they become widely available.

15647E37-8059-413C-BFEE-77D118CB4449.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back