Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 28, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #86,611 of 155,105
You guys haven't lived until you've driven the "Tail of the Dragon" in NC -> TN.
When ferrying my Miata up from Georgia, we made sure to transit by way of the Tail

image001.jpg

also made sure to stop off for some provisions

2015-09-05 17.54.14.jpg

Sadly, the drive bringing the Caterham home was a rainy trailer tow along flat and straight highways. A guy can't have that sort of luck twice, I guess.

If you're in the area of the Tail, though, I'd recommend a different road. There are plenty of other routes with even better curves, though perhaps not as many in a string, but you won't have to worry about as many motorcycles crossing the divider or the rare lost semi.

Dec 28, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #86,612 of 155,105
Not sure if it's still the highest alcohol beer but it's my favorite name of one:

https://brewdogrecipes.com/recipes/sink-the-bismarck

84892C15-5D3A-4021-9D6D-3B991766BD45.png
As a former German, I have to say that I am appalled by that name.

Appalled, I say!

Honestly, I will forever be puzzled by the Brits' infatuation with that ship. They may have critically damaged the Bismarck, but they never managed to actually sink the ship. It was scuttled.
But hey, if the French can believe that surrendering a few years in would somehow mean that they won the war, then the Brits can believe that they sunk the Bismarck… 🙄

[Very, VERY crucial disclaimer: I am kidding. 🤪]

Dec 28, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #86,615 of 155,105
Have you ever driven n Long Island. That place is the worst for me. Hate driving up there.
Yeah, it's a PITA but at least the speeds are not insane like they can get here. As stated before you can be doing 85 in fairly busy traffic and be passed like you are standing still.
You guys haven't lived until you've driven the "Tail of the Dragon" in NC -> TN.
I treat the tail like I do the canyons in LA, they are awesome to drive, but I no longer do it because of the idiots that you end up meeting out there. I quit going to the LA canyons after coming around a corner and having an oncoming car more in my lane than their own on more than one occasion in the same day. That last one they ended up taking to the ditch to avoid the collision and I never went back again :frowning2: Which sucks because those canyons are SOOO fun to drive even at sane speeds when you only use your lane. After that I ended up doing way more track days, which was a LOT more expensive, but at least I didn't have to worry about being hit head on anymore.

Dec 28, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #86,616 of 155,105
When ferrying my Miata up from Georgia, we made sure to transit by way of the Tail

also made sure to stop off for some provisions

Sadly, the drive bringing the Caterham home was a rainy trailer tow along flat and straight highways. A guy can't have that sort of luck twice, I guess.

If you're in the area of the Tail, though, I'd recommend a different road. There are plenty of other routes with even better curves, though perhaps not as many in a string, but you won't have to worry about as many motorcycles crossing the divider or the rare lost semi.
Do tell please!!!!

Dec 28, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #86,617 of 155,105
Dec 28, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #86,618 of 155,105
I suppose that's cool but isn't the point of "Tail of the Dragon" to enjoy the actual driving?
It's also a load of spherical objects :wink:
Watch the self-driving bit carefully (I zipped over all the hyperbole) and you will note that the car sticks to the official speed limit at all times. So though he may have feared for his life, he went significantly faster on the return run excerpts than the speed limit.

Cheers

Dec 28, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #86,620 of 155,105
I know there are a few astronomy fans on here. Very nice to see the James Webb space telescope launch properly.

Webb.jpg

Dec 28, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #86,621 of 155,105
I have no idea how an 'NC motorist' drives @bcowen , but I might find out next year, as I hope to visit an old friend from the UK, who now lives in Charlotte, NC.
He is a fan of 'muscle cars' and is now looking for a new one....:relaxed:
Cool! If you stay in the far left lane, it'll almost be like you're driving at home. :laughing:

(I have to say that driving on the wrong left side of the road in England was a bit unnerving at first.....for me).

Dec 28, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #86,622 of 155,105
I love driving the NC twisties like the dragon. Tires squealing and starting to slide. I wish they would stop thinking they can use the whole road. Stay in your bloody lane. You never know what is coming around the next bend. It could be an 18 wheeler just barely able to stay in its lane.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #86,623 of 155,105
I think I just threw up a little… I love driving. I bought my current car just to drive it. I might have changed the pulley on the supercharger and had new software installed to make it even more fun. Why would I want ”Elontech’ to drive it? Ewwwwwww.

Edit. We are all different, save perhaps for a myopic devotion to Schiit gear In this forum. Heck, my sr. programmer has never even driven a car. Each to their own...

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #86,624 of 155,105
Have you ever driven n Long Island. That place is the worst for me. Hate driving up there.

I grew up on Lawn Guyland and learned to drive there. In time I discovered it was a great training ground for driving in other parts of the US. Best of all I can still summon my NY driving skills, and driving style, at a moment's notice. :smile_cat:

Dec 28, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #86,625 of 155,105
As a former German, I have to say that I am appalled by that name.

Appalled, I say!

Honestly, I will forever be puzzled by the Brits' infatuation with that ship. They may have critically damaged the Bismarck, but they never managed to actually sink the ship. It was scuttled.
But hey, if the French can believe that surrendering a few years in would somehow mean that they won the war, then the Brits can believe that they sunk the Bismarck… 🙄

[Very, VERY crucial disclaimer: I am kidding. 🤪]

I wonder if that's the point of the name. The Bismarck wasn't sunk in WWII but the alcohol content in this beer will do it?

As for the infatuation with the ship (I'm not British), it was a big scary person. Those are easy to be infatuated with I suppose. Plus, the name "Bismarck" is really cool for some reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back