Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 27, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #86,596 of 155,092
Anything on the Schiit rumor roadmap for a lower power, lower cost Vidar? I have a Lyr 3, which I like a lot and use with amplified speakers with a desktop computer setup when not using headphones. Been thinking about using passive bookshelves instead and Vidar seems overkill power wise and Aegir little steep for my budget.
Consider the following Emotiva item. I have the previous model, the BasX A-100

The new model is

BasX A2m Stereo Flex Amplifier

Has a power amp only function, is a class AB amp and has a switch mode power supply. Kind of long, but lower heat, lower power, lower price then a Vidar..

Ive got a Vidar too. With high listening levels the Emotiva sounds strained after awhile on my Elacs, distortion becomes quite noticeable. Vidar pushes them with ease.

At lower volumes the Elac/Emotiva combo sounded quite nice. Before Covid I paired it with Asgard 2 as a preamp and a Bifrost 4490 as a dac in my office.

Dec 27, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #86,597 of 155,092
I am using a Lyr 3 into Vidar to drive my GR modified SVS Ultra bookshelves. It does not feel like too much power and sounds great. I love the Lyr 3 as a preamp. I have a Saga+ too but the Lyr sounds quite a bit better.

Dec 28, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #86,598 of 155,092
Not sure if it's still the highest alcohol beer but it's my favorite name of one:

https://brewdogrecipes.com/recipes/sink-the-bismarck

84892C15-5D3A-4021-9D6D-3B991766BD45.png

Dec 28, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #86,600 of 155,092
I‘ve driven in Charlotte, N.C. It is obvious that Richard Petty is their role model.
If it was recently, then that would be Richard Petty during a Pitstop if one is driving during rush hour. :unamused:

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #86,601 of 155,092
I‘ve driven in Charlotte, N.C. It is obvious that Richard Petty is their role model.
Hehe, I've lived there it isn't that bad. Detroit takes the cake for that, of all the places I've lived driving here is definitely the most aggressive of anywhere I've ever lived. No fault insurance, along with people driving beaters half the year makes it seem like the majority of people drive like they are in bumper cars at 20+ MPH over the speed limit while it's snowing...

Dec 28, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #86,602 of 155,092
Hehe, I've lived there it isn't that bad. Detroit takes the cake for that, of all the places I've lived driving here is definitely the most aggressive of anywhere I've ever lived. No fault insurance, along with people driving beaters half the year makes it seem like the majority of people drive like they are in bumper cars at 20+ MPH over the speed limit while it's snowing...
I drove I-75 north into Michigan. I got up to 85 mph and my wife said, "That's enough." I was being passed left and right.

Dec 28, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #86,603 of 155,092
Have you ever driven n Long Island. That place is the worst for me. Hate driving up there.

Dec 28, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #86,606 of 155,092
My Saga + has arrived. Reactions (text version of an unboxing video):
1) The Saga is satisfyingly heavy.
2) The plastic wrap has a lovely warning - "Tubes are indexed - don't just push like an idiot" Actually their words are more polite but the message is clear. I am familiar with tubes but I like the message.
3) The remote is very solid feeling, like a vintage Zippo lighter.
4) The volume knob turning when I push buttons on the remote is rather sensual.
5) I am listening to it through a rebuilt Magnavox tube amp. I had been using a Vali 2+, the Vali can now return to the computer/TV system, the Saga will remain here. I do not expect crazy sonic improvement, but the Saga will give me remote control, multiple inputs, and an output for a subwoofer. It sounds good. I know it needs to burn in.
6) I attempted to order a spare 6SN7 tube but apparently fat fingered and received a 6BZ7. This is my fault, not Schiit's, as I checked the original invoice and it says, "6BZ7", I should have read more carefully. I doubt it is worth shipping the 6BZ7 anywhere in an attempt to turn it into money. It will go into my tube graveyard.
7) "Saga" is easier to pronounce than "Vali", even before burn in.
8) The black finish looks very nice, despite my other Schiit components being silver.
9) No wall wart! I will not buy an aftermarket power cable, I am a denier.
10) The power switch is conveniently located on the back, right where I expected it to be.
The Saga + has been with me for 8 days. You may recall that I feed it from an ancient CD player through a Modi 3+, and output it through a rebuilt Magnavox tube amp into Klipsch Heresy I speakers. I also listen to a 1980's vintage NAD tuner trough the same setup. More reactions:
1) It sounds different than the Vali 2+ that preceded it. I will go completely subjective here, I like the Saga better. I cannot tell you that the soundstage is "wider" or "deeper." I will say that the imaginary vocalists and instruments seem "real-er." The image of the sound is simply more "there." If Frank Sinatra or Paul McCartney are audible as "ghosts", the ghosts have more substance with the Saga. As an engineer I hate that, I want to give you numbers, failing that I would like to describe the highs and lows as more or less. But to me the Saga sounds like the Vali, simply better. I recently heard a famous speaker designer talk, he was a huge fan of "accurate" (he had to be publicly in favor of accurate), but he also said that speaker designers had to stay true to their company's "signature." I think the Saga and Vali sound great, and are also true to each other. The Saga is an improvement.
2) I had heard that volume does not go to "zero", but I am surprised at how loud "all the way down" really is. Mute works great. But I generally turn the music way down when I get a phone call, the volume does not go low enough to take a phone call, I need to mute. This is not a make or break item. It might be if I wanted to play music as "soft background" in an office. Many office workers would consider it too loud. But I work from home and "mute" is a push button away. So no problem.
3) "Break in" has been subtle. I think it sounds better than 8 days ago. But I would not bet a substantial sum on that. Maybe I am breaking in myself. I still love the remote.
4) Simply to bait Jason - It needs a brown "chicken head" volume knob and mechanical VU meters!

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #86,608 of 155,092
I have no idea how an 'NC motorist' drives @bcowen , but I might find out next year, as I hope to visit an old friend from the UK, who now lives in Charlotte, NC.
He is a fan of 'muscle cars' and is now looking for a new one....:relaxed:
You will only be 100 miles away from a muscle car :))

Dec 28, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #86,609 of 155,092
The Saga + has been with me for 8 days. You may recall that I feed it from an ancient CD player through a Modi 3+, and output it through a rebuilt Magnavox tube amp into Klipsch Heresy I speakers. I also listen to a 1980's vintage NAD tuner trough the same setup. More reactions:
1) It sounds different than the Vali 2+ that preceded it. I will go completely subjective here, I like the Saga better. I cannot tell you that the soundstage is "wider" or "deeper." I will say that the imaginary vocalists and instruments seem "real-er." The image of the sound is simply more "there." If Frank Sinatra or Paul McCartney are audible as "ghosts", the ghosts have more substance with the Saga. As an engineer I hate that, I want to give you numbers, failing that I would like to describe the highs and lows as more or less. But to me the Saga sounds like the Vali, simply better. I recently heard a famous speaker designer talk, he was a huge fan of "accurate" (he had to be publicly in favor of accurate), but he also said that speaker designers had to stay true to their company's "signature." I think the Saga and Vali sound great, and are also true to each other. The Saga is an improvement.
2) I had heard that volume does not go to "zero", but I am surprised at how loud "all the way down" really is. Mute works great. But I generally turn the music way down when I get a phone call, the volume does not go low enough to take a phone call, I need to mute. This is not a make or break item. It might be if I wanted to play music as "soft background" in an office. Many office workers would consider it too loud. But I work from home and "mute" is a push button away. So no problem.
3) "Break in" has been subtle. I think it sounds better than 8 days ago. But I would not bet a substantial sum on that. Maybe I am breaking in myself. I still love the remote.
4) Simply to bait Jason - It needs a brown "chicken head" volume knob and mechanical VU meters!
In lieu of mute, I often "pause" whatever I'm listening to or switch to a non-input on the preamp - hope this helps... congrats on the new purchase!

Dec 28, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #86,610 of 155,092

Users who are viewing this thread

Back