Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 1, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #85,261 of 150,632
2E235780-485D-4DA1-9698-A5624EE29D23.jpeg
I like the Loki Max a lot, but I’m holding on to my cash for the Folkvanger. I have high hopes for it. Where I’d put it is a good question though. May have to clear off the bottom shelf.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #85,262 of 150,632
will freya s ever be available in black and will vidar be out of back order soon for US plug ?
How much will you offer for a lightly used black Freya S? There's only one pre I can think of that I'd consider as a replacement, costs 5x a new Freya S :ksc75smile:

Dec 1, 2021 at 11:56 PM Post #85,263 of 150,632
Ditto, ordered. Will stack well with my Freya S on my (most) insane multi-DAC, multi-amp headphone rack. Why fiddle with Roon EQ when I can have clickety-click tweaks on my headphone flights?
Now that I've ordered it, I'm wondering about the "right" way to stack it physically and electrically with my Freya S. I guess I need to give a bit more data on the crazy setup it is for: two different DACs > Freya S > Goldpoint output switcher > two different headphone amps. I'm thinking of putting the Loki Max between the Freya S and the Goldpoint, stacking it under the Freya S. Any objections?

Dec 2, 2021 at 12:28 AM Post #85,264 of 150,632
Now that I've ordered it, I'm wondering about the "right" way to stack it physically and electrically with my Freya S. I guess I need to give a bit more data on the crazy setup it is for: two different DACs > Freya S > Goldpoint output switcher > two different headphone amps. I'm thinking of putting the Loki Max between the Freya S and the Goldpoint, stacking it under the Freya S. Any objections?
I've considered Goldpoint Switch before but I ended up just reaching at the back, unplugging and plugging method. Less things in the chain.
Not convenient but more of a purist approach.

Dec 2, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #85,265 of 150,632
Given that Freya S Power supply is off to the left, well away from the the LF LC coils of the Loki, I'd think you shouldn't expect issues.

Dec 2, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #85,266 of 150,632
I've considered Goldpoint Switch before but I ended up just reaching at the back, unplugging and plugging method. Less things in the chain.
Not convenient but more of a purist approach.
Those switches are really, really good, but pricey. They are made locally, which makes me more willing to support them. I'd not be able to hear a difference between switch and direct.

Dec 2, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #85,267 of 150,632
I agree with @ImagesbyMurray about the transformers (in fact Loki Max and Freya S transformers sit almost on top of each other either way).

I would put Freya S on the bottom, though.
1. Loki Max has more circuitry (Nexus + buffer stages, plus more energized relays) and will run a bit warmer
2. Freya S has steel (magnetic) bottom chassis, so less interaction with the inductors of Loki Max.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 6:12 AM Post #85,270 of 150,632
@Jason Stoddard
There is not a headphone jack, the dark circle on the right is to receive the remote signal.

Their $99 headphone amplifiers are the best deals in audio by about $20, and the Modi 3. The Jot 2 is probably the best deal you can get for $399 due to it's balanced i/o and a dedicated and switchable pre-amplification capability. I prefer it with some headphones to amplifiers costing exponentially more.

And keep in mind it Schiit holding the line on prices. Others are pressing up, Schiit is keeping it down.
Ho no, I really thought the dark circle was a headphone out, hahaha! Too bad because it might have been an exceptional tube headphone amp with a remote. I'm a real sucker for pure tube sound and a remote is a must for my headphone rig unfortunately their other offerings don't quite ring my bell. Many thanks for your reply.

Dec 2, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #85,271 of 150,632
I like the Loki Max a lot, but I’m holding on to my cash for the Folkvanger. I have high hopes for it. Where I’d put it is a good question though. May have to clear off the bottom shelf.
Easy; you put Folkvangr where your fireplace currently is, because you won't need that anymore! ;p

Edit: I just realized that you're in Alaska, so I'd like to revisit my reply:
Easy; you keep your fireplace, and you get one Folkvangr for every room of your house, two for the bathroom. ;p

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #85,272 of 150,632
Does anyone have more expected specs for Tyr? What kind of speakers are they intended to drive?

RS-Wilson-Alexx-V-29_750pix.jpg

Dec 2, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #85,274 of 150,632
Ditto, ordered. Will stack well with my Freya S on my (most) insane multi-DAC, multi-amp headphone rack. Why fiddle with Roon EQ when I can have clickety-click tweaks on my headphone flights?
Most likely money.

Dec 2, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #85,275 of 150,632
loki%20max%20insitu%201920.jpg

I wonder what that hole in the top of Tyr is for… 🤔

Could be that there's another heat sink in the middle of it for a bunch more transistors? If so, considering that these two are stacked, and that the heat would have to be able to rise out of there, maybe the hole goes all the way through the bottom? Stack five or more of them for a home theater system and you get quite the updraft. Install a little turbine on top and you could keep your phone charged… 🤣

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back