Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 22, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #84,691 of 150,973
Anyone got a recommended location I can pass along to a co-worker? He has an older tube based receiver/stereo that is in need of overhaul, and the only audio-store I see near me is a new sales only place. Ideally not too far from Lower Alabama. Or is it time to call it on a 1970s receiver?
Make and model of receiver? Just curious.

Nov 22, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #84,692 of 150,973
You need to keep in mind that Schiit years are much longer than Earth years.

It is a shame about Sol. I think that there's many of us who regret not getting one when we had the chance.
I'm moving on from my Sol. It will available soon.

Nov 22, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #84,694 of 150,973
Nov 22, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #84,696 of 150,973
That is my guess, nostalgia and liking the purposeful distortion to make it more warm and syrupy - his words on the warm and syrup, not mine.
I do like warm and syrupy on pancakes.😁

Nov 22, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #84,697 of 150,973
Imagine all of the pin cleaning! Not that you are obsessive compulsive but how could you sleep at night knowing just one of those tubes had dirty pins??? You would be more of a mess than you are now, best to back away and stick to your Barbie doll collection, it is much safer. :ksc75smile:
Yeah, better make it 10 minutes per tube. But on the bright side not all of them would need the pins resoldered, so it'd be something less than 150k I'd have to send to you. I just hope you remember this conversation better than you remember who the Barbie collector is. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Nov 22, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #84,698 of 150,973
Edit: Saw it in the news and indeed it seems that Tesla PAAK requires a working connection to the server. Even here in the Bay Area there are areas without cellphone coverage. You'd be foolish to rely on it.
Engineers, gotta love them.
They have no problem saying "we cannot have a single point of failure" and also saying "we only need one PAAK server running because it's so robust" at the same time.

That, and all the "network engineers" that do not understand what it takes to make a reliable system on top of an inherently unreliable one. "Who needs timeouts?" "Why do all these freaking APIs return error codes? I never need them"
(welcome to my hell...)

Nov 22, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #84,699 of 150,973
Yeah, better make it 10 minutes per tube. But on the bright side not all of them would need the pins resoldered, so it'd be something less than 150k I'd have to send to you. I just hope you remember this conversation better than you remember who the Barbie collector is. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Sorry I keep confusing Barbie doll collection and inflatable companion collection. I stand corrected.🤣

Nov 22, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #84,700 of 150,973
I was thinking one will likely have to update a couch's firmware!
What a time to be alive
Don't get me started on firmware updates :scream: Compared with embedded computers, the DMV is heaven.

Nov 22, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #84,701 of 150,973
Don't get me started on firmware updates :scream: Compared with embedded computers, the DMV is heaven.
Oh gawd - you remind me of a Cisco core router for a regional medical clinic I got called in on; failed an update. IT staff wiped the filesystem, fortunately they did have good config backups. Took 14 hours in "doorstop mode" - 2400 baud, RS-232, to recover it :frowning2:

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #84,702 of 150,973
Right now just manhandling a 400 would be my biggest problem, I should start physical therapy soon for my lower back. My mind is willing but right now my flesh is a bit weak or I would have accomplished a lot more in the last couple months other than running a company, teaching, and working with rental property.
I have a 2cm shorter right leg from a childhood issue that messes up my pelvis and lower back, and genetic factors favoring lumbar disc degeneration. My lower back was a nightmare from my early 40s until I found the right exercise mix and ongoing maintenance coaches. My lower back is better than anytime since the early 90s. I had to give up running 5 years ago (grrr) but I still ski, climb less technical routes, and hike. Looking forward to several ski trips this winter, mostly demanding backcountry ski touring (no lifts harmed in this pursuit). TBH, very few physical therapists, let alone orthopedic docs, know really how to help manage lower backs. I've been lucky to find a few insightful therapists over the years, and I've stayed with them.

I work hard running a distributed team that's arguably the best in its business. But the exercise/therapy slots on my schedule are sacred. I can't do my job with a messed up back driving me nuts.

Nov 22, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #84,703 of 150,973
If you can get @bcowen to spend cash on something other than tube hoarding, you deserve a Nobel prize in economics. Fun fact: There is a Youtuber in North Carolina who does a lot of audio amp work named Mark, at Blueglow Electronics, who is trying to downsize. He claims to have 150,000 [yes, 150 thousand] vacuum tubes in his possession. Our friend @bcowen might be interested in a part of his stash-----keep it in state?
In the next few months I'll be wondering about magical 5U4G rectifiers for an incoming amp...

Nov 23, 2021 at 1:57 AM Post #84,704 of 150,973
I hope the world economy doesn't collapse. I do hope I'm not around to see the end of cars driven by people.
When I said 20 years ago that self driving cars would be a regular thing in 20 years, people looked at me like I was saying the world economy will collapse under the weight of speculation in 20 years. Hoping I'm a crazy man.

Nov 23, 2021 at 3:38 AM Post #84,705 of 150,973
Not that easy. The Decca London is very picky on records because of very little space between cart and record surface.
Side rim too high, too much wobble, you're in trouble. A disadvantage of the moving iron principle, there is no cantilever on this cartridge.
Doesn't sound like ultimate joy ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back