Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 22, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #84,676 of 150,898
Just wait, I am going to make one that will make even @bcowen want to actually spend money to upgrade. :ksc75smile:

Right now just manhandling a 400 would be my biggest problem, I should start physical therapy soon for my lower back. My mind is willing but right now my flesh is a bit weak or I would have accomplished a lot more in the last couple months other than running a company, teaching, and working with rental property.
Tom, I started physical therapy about 2 weeks ago, and, although I just feel muscle soreness, my therapist says that I have gained a lot of lower extremity strength. Try it and be positive in your expectations, I think that you will be pleased.

Nov 22, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #84,677 of 150,898
Just wait, I am going to make one that will make even @bcowen want to actually spend money to upgrade. :ksc75smile:

Right now just manhandling a 400 would be my biggest problem, I should start physical therapy soon for my lower back. My mind is willing but right now my flesh is a bit weak or I would have accomplished a lot more in the last couple months other than running a company, teaching, and working with rental property.
If you can get @bcowen to spend cash on something other than tube hoarding, you deserve a Nobel prize in economics. Fun fact: There is a Youtuber in North Carolina who does a lot of audio amp work named Mark, at Blueglow Electronics, who is trying to downsize. He claims to have 150,000 [yes, 150 thousand] vacuum tubes in his possession. Our friend @bcowen might be interested in a part of his stash-----keep it in state?

Nov 22, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #84,678 of 150,898
Classical guitar gets very little exposure compared to music on orchestral instruments. Many top classical guitarists are virtually unknown, such as Ana Vidović. Here (at 52:45) she plays Asturias as an impromptu encore by request.
Ana Vidović is a favorite of mine. I love some of her live recordings in churches, etc. I also love fingerstyle and then if you add in a little latin flair and it can get quite interesting. If you haven't heard them try Dead Combo. I also really like Ottmar Liebert. One of my favorites for testing a system, especially bass is B-Tribe if you are into more ambient sort of music.

Nov 22, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #84,679 of 150,898
A TT is never worth five figures IMHO. It may have cost that amount, but worth it?
Michael Fremer would disagree.

Nov 22, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #84,680 of 150,898
Phones and computers have been this way for years. Shouldn't be boggling your mind. Cars are going to rental models over time as prices will be structured to make outright ownership too expensive. But they won't be driven, they will drive themselves and communicate with all the other cars and the street etc. It's going to be one system nothing like what we have. It will save millions of lives. Of course probably the world economy is going to collapse under the weight of speculation before the world makes it happen in a few decades.
I agree self-driving cars, owned by corporations kind of like Uber/ Hertz are coming. I also agree with those who have posted that vehicles driven by humans will effectively be outlawed (if not outright illegal, made uninsurable) as well.

Millions of lives? Perhaps not that many, at least in one year which is my default way of thinking about those kids of statistics.

I hope the world economy doesn't collapse. I do hope I'm not around to see the end of cars driven by people.

Nov 22, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #84,681 of 150,898
Tom, I started physical therapy about 2 weeks ago, and, although I just feel muscle soreness, my therapist says that I have gained a lot of lower extremity strength. Try it and be positive in your expectations, I think that you will be pleased.
I have been through PT a few times before, at least this time the treatment will be more focused, I am pretty open minded about such things. Thanks for your input Sam.

Nov 22, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #84,682 of 150,898
If you can get @bcowen to spend cash on something other than tube hoarding, you deserve a Nobel prize in economics. Fun fact: There is a Youtuber in North Carolina who does a lot of audio amp work named Mark, at Blueglow Electronics, who is trying to downsize. He claims to have 150,000 [yes, 150 thousand] vacuum tubes in his possession. Our friend @bcowen might be interested in a part of his stash-----keep it in state?
I believe Bill's state is the state of confusion but stranger things have happened. It would take forever to sell those on Ebay, I suspect some tube reseller will take the lot.

Nov 22, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #84,683 of 150,898

Probably "Mark" is the pseudonym @bcowen uses when selling GE tubes.

Nov 22, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #84,684 of 150,898
Part of?

:laughing:

Nov 22, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #84,685 of 150,898
Last edited:
Nov 22, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #84,686 of 150,898
LOVESAC? OK.

I just read elsewhere that if the Tesla app on your phone stops working, you have no car access. Mind boggling if true.
Nope. the credit card sized key for the 3 and Y will give you full control of your car. I always keep mine in my wallet. I always use my phone all. No issues.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #84,687 of 150,898
I believe Bill's state is the state of confusion but stranger things have happened. It would take forever to sell those on Ebay, I suspect some tube reseller will take the lot.
Hmmmm. At roughly 5 minutes per tube and devoting 40 hours a week to the task, it'd take me over 6 years (not including vacations) just to test them. Now I could put 3 testers in play and reduce that to 2 years, but the stress level would increase exponentially. I love tubes, but not quite *that* much. :laughing:

Nov 22, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #84,689 of 150,898
Hmmmm. At roughly 5 minutes per tube and devoting 40 hours a week to the task, it'd take me over 6 years (not including vacations) just to test them. Now I could put 3 testers in play and reduce that to 2 years, but the stress level would increase exponentially. I love tubes, but not quite *that* much. :laughing:
Imagine all of the pin cleaning! Not that you are obsessive compulsive but how could you sleep at night knowing just one of those tubes had dirty pins??? You would be more of a mess than you are now, best to back away and stick to your Barbie doll collection, it is much safer. :ksc75smile:

Nov 22, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #84,690 of 150,898
Anyone got a recommended location I can pass along to a co-worker? He has an older tube based receiver/stereo that is in need of overhaul, and the only audio-store I see near me is a new sales only place. Ideally not too far from Lower Alabama. Or is it time to call it on a 1970s receiver?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back