Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 8, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #83,911 of 150,571
Nov 8, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #83,912 of 150,571
I like adding a patina as well, it only takes a day and it is not as tedious.

faraday.jpg

I was goofing around with a Faraday cage on this one after adding patina to the top plate. You can get a variety of blues and greens pretty easily if you work with various types of salt, and ammonia or vinegar.
If that 6SN7 is the Melz that I think it is, just keep the amp and send me the tube!~lol!

Nov 8, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #83,913 of 150,571
If that 6SN7 is the Melz that I think it is, just keep the amp and send me the tube!~lol!
Lol and break up a family of tubes??? It’s younger and older siblings would miss it.😁 Not that I would anthropomorphize a tube.😺

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #83,914 of 150,571
I like adding a patina as well, it only takes a day and it is not as tedious.

faraday.jpg

I was goofing around with a Faraday cage on this one after adding patina to the top plate. You can get a variety of blues and greens pretty easily if you work with various types of salt, and ammonia or vinegar.
Now that...that is "Wizard of Oz" cool looking!

Nov 8, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #83,915 of 150,571
I must admit that while the beauty of Sir Paladin of 79's art work would never be wasted upon me, the sound most likely would be. I am not deaf but I can not tell the difference in any thing audio by hearing. I tend to think that is just me being honest (especially about MQA!) but when it comes to looks, momma's little toad knows what he likes. Tubular stuff.

Oh...I am listening to Jazz on my Denon DP300F TT which sits atop my new Andover Audio Spinbase which is sending the lower frequencies to my Martin-Logan sub. It is heavenly for such as I.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #83,916 of 150,571
@bcowen should not visit because Ken used cherry instead of maple in the equipment cabinets and that would probably be the first thing Bill would say. :ksc75smile: (I used cherry myself in my racks.)
Nobody's perfect. :laughing:

Nov 8, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #83,917 of 150,571
Nov 8, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #83,918 of 150,571
Now that...that is "Wizard of Oz" cool looking!

It's definitely got a Steampunk Bioshock feel. We just need a Little Sister!

big_daddy_little_sister_bioshock_2.jpg

Nov 8, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #83,920 of 150,571
I read somewhere on this thread to buy an IEMagni because it was gone forever...

...then actually went and ordered one...

...then came back to see Stoddard himself replied to say never say never so here i am with IEM's in my ear's and an IEMagni on my desk. It's an impressive little unit just bouncing around between it and my other schiit amps.

TL;DR Don't read this thread so you can keep your bbq insecurities to yourself and save some dough at the same time.

Nov 9, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #83,921 of 150,571
It's definitely got a Steampunk Bioshock feel. We just need a Little Sister!

big_daddy_little_sister_bioshock_2.jpg

Here is a mod I did that is more steampunk, I modified headphones to match looks and proper impedance and built a headphone rack to match. There are working brass watch gears over the vent opening from a very old pocket watch. Inch thick quartered oak cabinet.

This used to be a Bottlehead Crack but it barely resembles the original form. I used the original power transformer but that is about it.

9998770.jpg

Nov 9, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #83,922 of 150,571
Here is a mod I did that is more steampunk, I modified headphones to match looks and proper impedance and built a headphone rack to match. There are working brass watch gears over the vent opening from a very old pocket watch. Inch thick quartered oak cabinet.

This used to be a Bottlehead Crack but it barely resembles the original form. I used the original power transformer but that is about it.

9998770.jpg
I should really put @Paladin79 on my ignore list. :smirk: When he posts pictures like these, I really want to cry because they look so flipping amazing and I'm sure sound as wonderful as they look. But, alas, I won't because I'm secretly a masochist and take perverse pleasure in looking at beautiful, functional works of art that I can never touch. :)

Nov 9, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #83,923 of 150,571
I should really put @Paladin79 on my ignore list. :smirk: When he posts pictures like these, I really want to cry because they look so flipping amazing and I'm sure sound as wonderful as they look. But, alas, I won't because I'm secretly a masochist and take perverse pleasure in looking at beautiful, functional works of art that I can never touch. :)

It's probably faux tubes for show. G.E.'s under the hood. So, cheer up, nothing to hear...! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
hide.gif

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #83,924 of 150,571

9998770.jpg

I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy...!
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back