Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 7, 2021 at 9:14 PM Post #83,896 of 150,600
Those speakers in the lower photograph are gorgeous! That probably means I can never afford them but all the same, what is the brand and name, please?

The big speakers are, indeed, Avalon Acoustics Isis, as @tincanear said. I believe they retail in the low six-figures. I'm sure you can get a pair on the used market for less than half of the new retail price if you're shopping. That ultra-high-end gear takes a real hit on the used market.

high_end_audio_turntable_review_matej_isak_mono_and_stereo_2021_2022_2023_-1.jpg

Ken-Fritz-audio-system.jpg

I am more apt to go with the Ken Fritz audio system that is in Virginia I do believe. His house is designed around a concert hall in Japan. And he built a lot of it himself.
My wife is pretty understanding but not this understanding so there is no reason to want something like it. :ksc75smile:

https://www.wtvr.com/i-have-a-story/worlds-greatest-stereo-system-virginia
Now that's just gaudy. :) That's more than I'd want even if I did win the lottery and suddenly had nuveau-riche appearances to keep up. I'll bet it does pipe organ bass, though. I'd also swap out the Krell amplification for either classic Threshold or current Pass Labs.

Unless you know how it sounds, do you mean something that sounds like these look? :)

(by the way, my opinion of Wilson Audio loudspeakers is not to be printed in this forum since the rules state "no bashing other brands." Assuming those are Wilsons.)
No, they aren't Wilson Audio, which I find too clinical. As @tincanear said, they are Avalon Acoustics. I have a pair of their entry-level two-way speakers which I've enjoyed for something like fifteen years. I may need to rebuild their cross-overs, though. Their high end is getting a little dull.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #83,897 of 150,600
You should be able to get good, fresh, Gulf seafood just about anywhere in Corpus Christi (that doesn't mean every restaurant will be good, just there should be lots of good restaurants). The trick will be finding a good seafood restaurant which serves something other than fried seafood.
Sounds like South Alabama - lots of seafood, lots of it is fried.

Nov 7, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #83,898 of 150,600
Sounds like South Alabama - lots of seafood, lots of it is fried.
Not that fried seafood isn't good. I've just had a belly-full since I've been south of the Mason-Dixon line. If you're in the mood, it's great. If not, all you taste is the batter and oil, not the fish.

Nov 8, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #83,900 of 150,600
high_end_audio_turntable_review_matej_isak_mono_and_stereo_2021_2022_2023_-1.jpg

Ken-Fritz-audio-system.jpg

I am more apt to go with the Ken Fritz audio system that is in Virginia I do believe. His house is designed around a concert hall in Japan. And he built a lot of it himself.
My wife is pretty understanding but not this understanding so there is no reason to want something like it. :ksc75smile:

https://www.wtvr.com/i-have-a-story/worlds-greatest-stereo-system-virginia

I believe Ken had a thread on the Audiogon Forum, discussing the start of his system. Since he's in Richmond, and I'm in Charlottesville, I emailed Ken about my appreciation of his efforts. I even got an invite to come hear the set up. Now that it's complete, I'd love to visit...! :L3000:

Nov 8, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #83,901 of 150,600
I believe Ken had a thread on the Audiogon Forum, discussing the start of his system. Since he's in Richmond, and I'm in Charlottesville, I emailed Ken about my appreciation of his efforts. I even got an invite to come hear the set up. Now that it's complete, I'd love to visit...! :L3000:
I will be staying in Vienna Va and Richmond is about two hours south. If you happen to still have his email address if you could PM it to me, it would be appreciated. I would search for it on Audiogon otherwise. I would hate to barge in over Xmas so I may hold off till my next visit if feasible. I like to go to that area in the spring for the cherry blossoms in DC.

It has been years since I worked in speaker design but that as well as the woodwork and architecture would fascinate me, as well as hearing the system with that turntable up and running lol.

@bcowen should not visit because Ken used cherry instead of maple in the equipment cabinets and that would probably be the first thing Bill would say. :ksc75smile: (I used cherry myself in my racks.)

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #83,902 of 150,600
I will be staying in Vienna Va and Richmond is about two hours south. If you happen to still have his email address if you could PM it to me, it would be appreciated. I would search for it on Audiogon otherwise. I would hate to barge in over Xmas so I may hold off till my next visit if feasible. I like to go to that area in the spring for the cherry blossoms in DC.

It has been years since I worked in speaker design but that as well as the woodwork and architecture would fascinate me, as well as hearing the system with that turntable up and running lol.

Unfortunately, I don't think I have Ken Fritz's contact info, as that was on a crashed computer. Still, I double-checked my personal email, and my Audiogon account, and couldn't find anything for Ken.

Also, I've read that Ken now has ALS. Though, I believe he invites people over to hear the system, for those who ask. I've read too, that Ken has passed, since the filming of his documentary, but I haven't seen concrete confirmation on Ken's death. :slight_frown:

Nov 8, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #83,903 of 150,600
Unfortunately, I don't think I have Ken Fritz's contact info, as that was on a crashed computer. Still, I double-checked my personal email, and my Audiogon account, and couldn't find anything for Ken.

Also, I've read that Ken now has ALS. Though, I believe he invites people over to hear the system, for those who ask. I've read too, that Ken has passed, since the filming of his documentary, but I haven't seen concrete confirmation on Ken's death. :slight_frown:
I looked for an obituary myself and did not see one. Perhaps the system ended up in good hands or his family took it over. It would not be the same thing though, since it was Ken's dream.

Nov 8, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #83,904 of 150,600
I looked for an obituary myself and did not see one. Perhaps the system ended up in good hands or his family took it over. It would not be the same thing though, since it was Ken's dream.

I sent you Ken's Audiogon contact info, via PM. Hopefully, Ken's alive and kicking, and still able to demo his system. I'd hate to think the room would become a museum, and not a place where music is enjoyed, on a daily basis! :relaxed: :relaxed:

Nov 8, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #83,905 of 150,600
I should be in the area for a while, I need to get my son busy trying to arrange for a listen.😁 I am driving to his house so I deserve to be chauffeured around when I get there.

Today I am back in my shop getting a parts list together and trying to decide if I want to take on brushed copper again. It can be pretty but it takes a long time.7C34E85E-5AC9-49D9-BF66-324570338500.jpeg
Has @OldRoadToad seen this pic? It has VU meters!

Nov 8, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #83,906 of 150,600
Has @OldRoadToad seen this pic? It has VU meters!
He has since he was listed in "likes". I ordered a bunch of 1/8 inch copper today and I imagine I will use VU meters and dual pots on a current build. I may go for this look but most likely I will use other hardwoods.

walnut amp 3.jpg

Nov 8, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #83,907 of 150,600
He has since he was listed in "likes". I ordered a bunch of 1/8 inch copper today and I imagine I will use VU meters and dual pots on a current build. I may go for this look but most likely I will use other hardwoods.

walnut amp 3.jpg
The copper looks good.

Nov 8, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #83,908 of 150,600
I like adding a patina as well, it only takes a day and it is not as tedious.

faraday.jpg

I was goofing around with a Faraday cage on this one after adding patina to the top plate. You can get a variety of blues and greens pretty easily if you work with various types of salt, and ammonia or vinegar.

Nov 8, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #83,909 of 150,600
Nov 8, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #83,910 of 150,600

@bcowen should not visit because Ken used cherry instead of maple in the equipment cabinets and that would probably be the first thing Bill would say. :ksc75smile: (I used cherry myself in my racks.)
I don't think @bcowen would appreciate the Krell amplification even if the chassis were tiger maple or double walled cardboard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back