Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 20, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #83,116 of 150,730
Well, just back from 10 days in Iceland and happened to read about Asgard, Bifrost and Loki multiple times and chuckling while doing it, my mind drifting towards Schiit

My girlfriend caught me once and had to explain what was the funny matter in Northern mythology, so I had to explain her it's about those silver boxes I've got where the audio stuff is in the home office...I conveniently skipped the part suggesting there may be more (bigger) boxes coming to populate the living room soon-ish :smirk:

I have conveniently carried my laptop with me, so no vacation Head-Fi backlog this time. Ha!

Ps: Iceland is pure eye candy and, if you enjoy photography as I do, a barrage of photo opportunities. I could do with less wind, though!

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #83,117 of 150,730
Well, there is a sub-set of car buyers whose purchasing decisions are based solely on the horsepower/price ratio. They can usually be seen losing control and crashing into curbs/trees/poles while leaving their local Cars & Coffee meets.

Always good for a laugh when skill runs out before bravery (so long as nobody gets hurt).

Oct 20, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #83,118 of 150,730
I know it well and of course we all know of Parsons work on Dark Side of the Moon.

I do a lot of HR work and have hired maybe 35 people or so, one young lady shared the same birthday as me and FLW because of the birthday paradox. You have a high percentage of matching birthdays with any random group of 35 or more. You have a 50% chance at 23 people if I remember correctly.

Now this is not a random group since it is mostly men of a specific age or higher so it could take a while for anyone else to have June 8th as their natal day.😜😜😜

Time to put on my Pedantic Hat. I believe the birthday paradox only applies to any two people in the group sharing a birthday. The requirement to specifcally share your birthday is more restrictive and the odds are a lot worse.

<pedantic hat removed; humanity restored>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem

Let me know how the HDtracks DSotM 2496 sounds. I was considering it as an upgrade to my MFSL version.

Oct 20, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #83,119 of 150,730
Time to put on my Pedantic Hat. I believe the birthday paradox only applies to any two people in the group sharing a birthday. The requirement to specifcally share your birthday is more restrictive and the odds are a lot worse.

<pedantic hat removed; humanity restored>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem

Let me know how the HDtracks DSotM 2496 sounds. I was considering it as an upgrade to my MFSL version.
You were not in the least pedantic, I did not mean it to read that way.

I merely stated it happened to me, and to be honest it happened in a few of my college classes. What I said was this..

"You have a high percentage of matching birthdays with any random group of 35 or more. You have a 50% chance at 23 people if I remember correctly." I was merely an example of it working. My wording should have been better, I did not say "I" have such odds.

I was just messing around with the last part :ksc75smile:

Now if you like to play with numbers, what are my odds of cutting all four aces in succession from a standard deck of playing cards, only the aces at random, no other cards? One would think I have 4 chances in 52 at the first card, roughly 8%. What makes this difficult to figure is doing this in just four cuts. You might have a 2% chance if only one ace is left in the deck but the first three cuts have to be spot on to get to that point. Each ace cut is removed so you cannot select the same ace twice.

In this case, notice I said what are "my" odds. Wikipedia is not going to help on this one. :beerchug:

Oh and I like the Pink Floyd I just got compared to my other versions but I need to research what those are before I could be objective. Some were flac files ripped from records etc. but that was a while back.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #83,120 of 150,730
Well, there is a sub-set of car buyers whose purchasing decisions are based solely on the horsepower/price ratio. They can usually be seen losing control and crashing into curbs/trees/poles while leaving their local Cars & Coffee meets.

Always good for a laugh when skill runs out before bravery (so long as nobody gets hurt).
Don't forget ditches!

Oct 20, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #83,121 of 150,730
You were not in the least pedantic, I did not mean it to read that way.

I merely stated it happened to me, and to be honest it happened in a few of my college classes. What I said was this..

"You have a high percentage of matching birthdays with any random group of 35 or more. You have a 50% chance at 23 people if I remember correctly." I was merely an example of it working. My wording should have been better, I did not say "I" have such odds.

I was just messing around with the last part :ksc75smile:

Now if you like to play with numbers, what are my odds of cutting all four aces in succession from a standard deck of playing cards, only the aces at random, no other cards? One would think I have 4 chances in 52 at the first card, roughly 8%. What makes this difficult to figure is doing this in just four cuts. You might have a 2% chance if only one ace is left in the deck but the first three cuts have to be spot on to get to that point. Each ace cut is removed so you cannot select the same ace twice.

In this case, notice I said what are "my" odds. Wikipedia is not going to help on this one. :beerchug:

Oh and I like the Pink Floyd I just got compared to my other versions but I need to research what those are before I could be objective. Some were flac files ripped from records etc. but that was a while back.
(5/52)*(3/51)*(2/50)*(1/49) = 0.000369%

Oct 20, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #83,122 of 150,730
Nope😜. And I believe you started with five aces.

Also if the final ace is on the bottom of the deck or the very top, are you truly cutting the cards to lift one card or lift the whole deck??? Hmmm?

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #83,123 of 150,730
In his book How Buildings Learn Stewart Brand starts off somewhere in the beginning pages by listing a lot famous buildings that got architectural awards. Then he goes on to say that they are all failures, because the roofs all leaked. A building has a purpose to create an inside space that keeps water outside. And other things, weather, porcupines--you don't want a wild porcupine hopping on a waterbed, etc. Come to think of it, you don't want a tame porcupine hopping up on a waterbed.
Water inside a building is very destructive.
I've been in 3 Wright houses in Los Angeles and Pasadena. I like them. I could and would like to live in one of them. Although I would check the roof first.
Back to audio. We want audio to make music. But, they should shock up. Or arc, or emit ozone. Although it might be worth it.
I prefer the Lstiburek methods from Building Science.
https://www.buildingscience.com/document-search?term=&field_doc_topic_tid=All&type[]=8
So a house named Falling Water had a leaky roof? :thinking:
Should have been Falling Down

Oct 20, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #83,124 of 150,730
My favorite Bond movie for the longest time.

Read an article saying it was the only one necessary to watch (other than the previous Craig oevre) before viewing the latest. Possibly the most emotionally engaging of the older flicks.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #83,125 of 150,730
I VERY rarely look at anything on Amir's site, but did look at this review, and some of the follow-on comments.

In his conclusion, Amir notes: "The device is also boring to look at. The older versions of this box had dancing LEDs that added fun to the experience if not some data as to what the thing was doing."

Guess I somehow missed that older, more entertaining, version.

I particularly liked the part where his fingers were too fat to operate the controls.

Oct 20, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #83,127 of 150,730
I particularly liked the part where his fingers were too fat to operate the controls.
In a review without many highlights, that was my second favorite part.

But I can see how that could be an annoyance for some people, the unit is small. I have the Loki, and it's on a shelf beside my desk that is a bit above my head level. So on the rare occasions when I want to do some dynamic tuning, I'm reaching up, and my fingers naturally approach each knob in a 12&6 orientation. If the unit was down below my shoulders, the natural reach-for-it position would have my fingers at 2&8, and in that orientation the closeness of the knobs could interfere a bit.

Mostly I have it dialed in with my "Stax adjustment." I flip the bypass yes/no switch daily, but I don't think I've fiddled with any of the knobs in 2 months. So for my use-case, the spacing of the controls is a nothing burger.

For a guy who preaches (+/-) "Nuthin' but the [objective] numbers", Amir sure front-loaded a heapload of subjective biases into that review. He doesn't see the need for an inexpensive analog tone control, and most definitely doesn't want one ... okay bud, we got that.

Oct 20, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #83,128 of 150,730
I prefer the Lstiburek methods from Building Science.
https://www.buildingscience.com/document-search?term=&field_doc_topic_tid=All&type[]=8

Should have been Falling Down
Interesting. I'm one of those people who, as a generalist, reads (and watches on the internet) a lot of stuff about a lot of subjects, and I read the footnotes and sometime even read the source of the footnotes, I'm what you might call an ineffectual. I should trademark that term, ya think?
Never heard of Lstiburek. He is more science than Brand, and I will likely read some like this:
Stucco
It has been ages since I read Brand. I seem to hallucinate that in that book he was more Big Picture, raconteur, story telling re: the relationship between buildings and people and a lot of other issues. Like the average building in north America lives 90 years or something and is put through 3 or 4 different uses (don't quote me).
If before a building is designed and built and if the builder, the buyer, the zoning people, the cows in pasture* are aware of that, would they do anything different? Should they?

* I've been reading The Far Side daily feed lately. Cows appear often.

https://www.thefarside.com/

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2021 at 10:03 PM Post #83,129 of 150,730
Read an article saying it was the only one necessary to watch (other than the previous Craig oevre) before viewing the latest. Possibly the most emotionally engaging of the older flicks.
Bond aside for a moment, tomorrow another version of Dune starts on HBO Max, ( I stay away from pirated versions). A book that is very difficult to do in one movie but here’s hoping they do half the book well and a sequel is soon to follow. One of my favorite works of Science Fiction.

Oct 20, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #83,130 of 150,730

Nope😜. And I believe you started with five aces.

Also if the final ace is on the bottom of the deck or the very top, are you truly cutting the cards to lift one card or lift the whole deck??? Hmmm?
Actually, I started with a typo. I think the arithmetic is correct (assuming the typo is corrected to 4/52), but I didn't check it. Apparently there's no reason to check it since you think I'm wrong. I don't believe you put any stipulations as to where in the pack the aces could be, so I didn't consider the attempt to be invalid if an ace happened to be at the top or bottom.

Bond aside for a moment, tomorrow another version of Dune starts on HBO Max, ( I stay away from pirated versions). A book that is very difficult to do in one movie but here’s hoping they do half the book well and a sequel is soon to follow. One of my favorite works of Science Fiction.
We saw a trailer for Dune when we went to see No Time to Die. It only took them two minutes to dash my hopes the movie would be what I consider faithful to the book. I guess I will have to reset my expectations and hope it's good story telling. I liked the new 007 film, but I think Skyfall remains my favorite of the latest generation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back