Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 16, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #82,921 of 150,459
Which Russian tubes? While you would make @bcowen happy if you said Fotons I hope they are a little more exciting than those. :ksc75smile:
Please stop reading my mind. It's irritating. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Oct 16, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #82,922 of 150,459
Schiit N Music
Story / Saturday Night continued; months later.
Same story, different verse.

The brushed aluminum shall find a way to continue. 2muchstuff to change now.

My very cute granddaughter turned two August. Going on two years since we were together.
Hopefully December.
Had to pick up another bottle of Old Grand Dad (bonded 100 proof this time), announcement made that very cute granddaughter is going to be a big sister :)

Cardioversion failed, cardiac ablation successful. Four plus months with normal beats.
Persistent atrial fibrillation not cured; treated is more accurate. I am feeling good and able to be mostly “normal”.
Many question the normal part.

Lots of whole house music and speaker listening, great meals, little booze and such.
Lionel halloween train sets are setup and running.

Have stayed up to date here. Occasionally posting. This place has been a bright spot.
Pietro MIA for over a month. You out there? you OK? Did I miss something?

The baby schiit stack is up to date. The new Modi MB arrived a couple of weeks back which completed the “new version” stack.
Modi MB (current production) -> Loki Mini + -> Magni 3+ & Vali 2+
Purchased a used Bifrost MB to pair with displaced Lyr OG and Asgard 2. No specific plan for the stack. Most likely will be gifted.
Schiit purchase list is currently - Lyr 3, another Valhalla and the transport. Thinking sooner is good since finish must be brushed aluminum.

Ordered another batch of Russian tubes. They arrived safe and as described.

Jason you guys are still kicking butt and taking names. Talking new product is great.

Enjoy the Schiit N Music
Old and less busted,

r2
It has been said that life can be a ride in a limo but some times your limo breaks down. That's when we take the bus. If we are fortunate, a friend can happen by and instead, give us a ride for a while.

Thanks for the ride, brother.

Oct 16, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #82,923 of 150,459
Please stop reading my mind. It's irritating. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
I did order some 6sl7 Reflektors today, made in the Saratov plant, marked 1579's so what the heck. One of my Cary tubes started acting up so I was looking for suitable replacements.

By the way I have been listening to the Das Girls Und Panzer Symphonie by Shiro Hamaguchi, a fun listen and the anime shows are fascinating.

@KoshNaranek introduced me to this music, one should always give credit where credit is due.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #82,924 of 150,459
Which Russian tubes? While you would make @bcowen happy if you said Fotons I hope they are a little more exciting than those. :ksc75smile:

Drat Bill already had thoughts. :L3000:
6N23P 71 Reflektor pair
6N23P-EV Reflektor
6N23P 72 Reflektor
6N6P ANOD pair
2x 6N1P + 2x 6N6P Valhalla set
4 x 6N3P-EV Matched Quad

Pedestrian for the most part
Various 6N8S are next up.

Oct 16, 2021 at 11:41 PM Post #82,925 of 150,459
6N23P 71 Reflektor pair
6N23P-EV Reflektor
6N23P 72 Reflektor
6N6P ANOD pair
2x 6N1P + 2x 6N6P Valhalla set
4 x 6N3P-EV Matched Quad

Pedestrian for the most part
Various 6N8S are next up.
I believe I just gave away some Reflector 6n23p's but I kept hmm 1974 and 1975.

If you need help with any Melz I have spent a few years collecting various types of what we call 1578's. I may have as many of those as Bill has Foton's which is a scary thought. :ksc75smile: The Russians are unloading a bunch of lesser Melz for similar money as the great ones so caveat emptor.

PM me if you like, friends and I tried over 1500 6sn7's and equivalents till we narrowed the field down to 52 of the tubes we all preferred so I have a little experience in that area. :beerchug:

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021 at 12:09 AM Post #82,926 of 150,459
Here is my current collection:
2x 6N8S (6H8C) Foton - 1958
2x 6H8C Reflektor? - 1959/1960 - OTK - Bottom Rectangle Getter - Grey T Aligned 2 Hole Plates : These are currently in a Lyr
1x 6N8S (6H8C) OTK Melz IV - 1953
1x 6H8C Pano (Reflektor Plant) - 1961 - OTK - Bottom Rectangle Getter - Grey T Aligned 2 Hole Plates “Russian Bad Boy” : This is in the Vali 2+ I really like this setup.
1x 6H8C Foton? - 1966 - OTK - Bottom Flying Saucer Getter - Grey T Aligned 2 Hole Plates

I would love some tips/suggestions/links to what is preferred.

Oct 17, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #82,927 of 150,459
Here is my current collection:
2x 6N8S (6H8C) Foton - 1958
2x 6H8C Reflektor? - 1959/1960 - OTK - Bottom Rectangle Getter - Grey T Aligned 2 Hole Plates : These are currently in a Lyr
1x 6N8S (6H8C) OTK Melz IV - 1953
1x 6H8C Pano (Reflektor Plant) - 1961 - OTK - Bottom Rectangle Getter - Grey T Aligned 2 Hole Plates “Russian Bad Boy” : This is in the Vali 2+ I really like this setup.
1x 6H8C Foton? - 1966 - OTK - Bottom Flying Saucer Getter - Grey T Aligned 2 Hole Plates

I would love some tips/suggestions/links to what is preferred.
Finding them can be the issue. Try finding a Melz 1578 from 1961 sometime. Shiny perforated plates, metal supports and rectangular micas with the small extensions.😁 1956-1963 are very desirable but you will mostly see them from the 70’s and 80’s. As with most Russian tubes of that era, replacing the solder in the pins is a must IMHO.

Oct 17, 2021 at 1:29 AM Post #82,929 of 150,459
And here I am preferring black but all my Schiits somehow ended up silver. What happened to my life :sob:
Hold on to them for a while. Soon they will be worth a fortune on the second hand market.

Oct 17, 2021 at 3:39 AM Post #82,932 of 150,459
Ha. A few years ago we were having our patio floor re-done and the wife and I were at the tile store doing what one does at the tile store.

Thinking that I was helping, I suggested that all the tiles we were looking at were beige, beiger and beigest (take that, spellcheck) and that it would be best if she just chose a 'color'.

Needless to say my punishment was an extra hour at the tile store.
It could be worse. Some HOA in Irvine, CA are notorious for only allowing 9 or 11 or whatever shades of beige for house paint.

It could be really worse: The X-Files: Arcadia

Arcadia is small city about 20 miles east of downtown Los Angeles. Naming an X-Files episode after it was not a random event

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #82,933 of 150,459
It could be worse. Some HOA in Irvine, CA are notorious for only allowing 9 or 11 or whatever shades of beige for house paint.

It could be really worse: The X-Files: Arcadia

Arcadia is small city about 20 miles east of downtown Los Angeles. Naming an X-Files episode after it was not a random event
They just showed that episode on "Comet" (a low def 1 to1:33 channel), this past week. One of these days I'll break down and buy the series on BRD, fun stuff.

Oct 17, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #82,935 of 150,459
Yeah, but some of the power supply experience doesn't carry over. Cooling equipment that weighs tons and needs megawatts of heat removed and are large enough to stand inside are a little different than consumer electronics.

No - Orange, Blue, Red, etc like the speakers out of Utah. :smile:

Note that all of my Schiit is silver except for the Hel 1, and so long as possible it will continue to be silver.
Matching my red Tektons could be appealing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back