Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 22, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #82,216 of 150,536
Kind of a touchy subject, but how does everyone here power their schiit? Power conditioners? Fancy power cables? Whatever comes in the box? Plastic bags of gems taped onto the terminations???
Power conditioner? Check. I have 3 (or 4) different ones in different rooms - all from eBay. Almost got one from Goodwill on eBay - they have surprisingly upscale stuff sometimes (Goodwill on eBay, that is. eBay is eBay...)

Fancy power cables? Well, I ordered colored ones from Pine Tree Audio for my monoblocks (red and white, of course). Pine Tree Audio is great for inexpensive attractive looking cabling.

The plastic bags of gems are for my better half, anniversary soon :)

Sep 22, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #82,217 of 150,536
Living room: Audioquest NRG Edison outlet, Audioquest Niagara 1200 power conditioner, Wireworld Stratus 7 power cords

Desk: Furman PST-8 surge protector > 2x Tripp-Lite PS240810 power strips + 6x iFi AC iPurifier plug-in power conditioners, Wireworld Stratus 7 and Volex 17604 power cords

Bedroom: TP-Link HS110 smart plug, Audioquest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, Volex 17604 & 17605 power cords

Kitchen: Tripp-Lite Isobar 8 surge protector, Volex 17604 power cords

The Volex power cords are a no-brainer. 14 AWG, shielded, affordable, but only come in 2 m (17604) and 3 m (17605) lengths.
The Stratus 7 sounds a bit better to me, is 12 AWG, less flexible, more expensive while still reasonable, and starts at 1 m.
I tried some other power cords over time, but stuck with these, both based on listening tests and testing the shielding with a TriField TF2.

The Niagara 1000 made a considerable difference when I first tried it (but only in my living room speaker system, not with my headphone setups) and I wanted a second high current outlet for the subwoofer, so I upgraded to the 1200 and use the 1000 in the bedroom. I have yet to try and isolate what equipment it most helps/helped with, though. I hope to eventually have an audio rack that is more suitable for swapping power back and forth, currently it's too much of a chore.
The iFi AC iPurifier helped a bit with imaging in my speaker system, with two helping more than one, and a third... maybe some more, not sure. But I wound up buying three more over time, so now I use them at my experimental desk setup, one power strip for DACs, one for amps, and 3x AC iPurifier per power strip to separate the equipment somewhat. At the very least I sleep better with them.

The Furman PST-8 (technically a power conditioner) and Tripp-Lite Isobar 8 (with four isolated banks) are just supposedly capable surge protectors to me. The PST-8D version didn't seem to do anything for the sound of my speaker system. There's a chance that the Isobar 8 is actually a bad choice, the one in my living room makes my torchiere flicker when my vacuum (both plugged into it) gets stuck on a rug or when the fridge turns on (in the kitchen), which doesn't happen when the torchiere is just plugged into a wall. I guess that means it's doing something, eh?
The Audioquest NRG Edison outlet I got as part of my "I'm new to this, I'll try anything" approach. It's one of the few "audiophile" outlets that has a 15A version, not just 20A, and I didn't want to violate some building codes. Can't say that I heard it make a difference, but it sure is very grippy indeed. My current furniture also gets in the way of reasonably comfortable A/B tests here.
Interesting!

I decided to take a more systemic approach. I'm VERY lucky in that, living in the country, I have my own 4.3kv step-down service transformer sitting on my property. This feeds, via a 320A service - 2 200A panels (house/garage). Each of these is protected by a Siemens Panel Surge protector. Living in the PNW - we are pretty much hydro, keeping things reliable and stable.

Every outlet that powers IT/Video/Audio is protected by $55 Tripp Light IsoBar6 suppressors, which beside basic surge protection have a 2 stage Pi Filter - 6db and 12db/octave above 60hz. The surge protectors will wear over time losing protection, the Pi filters won't..... Vidars bypass and go directly to outlet

IEC connector Power cables in main listening room are raided from surplus Cisco 45xxx switches - short and seriously burly

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #82,218 of 150,536
Every outlet that powers IT/Video/Audio is protected by $55 Tripp Light IsoBar6 suppressors, which beside basic surge protection have a 2 stage Pi Filter - 6db and 12db/octave above 60hz. The surge protectors will wear over time losing protection, the Pi filters won't.....
I'm also running Tripp Lite surge protection. My Schiit is on an 8 outlet isobar ultra.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 11:15 PM Post #82,219 of 150,536
Kind of a touchy subject, but how does everyone here power their schiit? Power conditioners? Fancy power cables? Whatever comes in the box? Plastic bags of gems taped onto the terminations???
Furman or Zero Surge conditioners/surge protectors, just in case PG&E decides to cut the power to prevent their next powerline-starts-deadly-fire debacle. I still have some Shunyata power cables, which were a bit helpful in cutting down hum when I had RCA analog cabling before all my DACs and amps went balanced. The Zero Surge conditioners sound a bit better, but that's surely placebo effect.

Sep 22, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #82,220 of 150,536
I use Audioquest Firebird power connectors (they are way to good to simply be called cables) for my Mani and Modi.

Unfortunately, that sapped my budget, so I use the stock power cables for my Gungnir and Aegir.

Sep 23, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #82,224 of 150,536
How to tell if my Gungnir MB has Unison? Or did they all ship with it?
Hard to find the history, and my order documentation doesn't mention it..

Thanks!
What does windows say when you plug it in? My yggy says unison yggy when I go into the audio configuration settings

Sep 23, 2021 at 1:19 AM Post #82,228 of 150,536
Got it. Yes, it says "Gungnir Gen 5" in Windows. No "Unison" or anything, though..

Second question is then do I need a Wyrd in front of it?
From what I've read the answer is no (I currently have one in front of it).

Need is subjective (in this case), I would say try it both ways, see if you notice a difference. It likely all depends on the quality of your USB source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back