Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 21, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #82,186 of 149,136
a6rdkutvzpn71.jpg

I'm quite pyst that it sounds this good :wink:

Sep 21, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #82,187 of 149,136
I'm quite pyst that it sounds this good :wink:

How do you like those cables? Did you just get RCAs? I've been using the same (ancient) Monster cables (back before they went off the deep end price-wise and then belly up) for decades and been considering an upgrade. I did get one pair of Monoprice Monolith RCA cables to try. They seem decent, if nothing that special in build quality.

Sep 21, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #82,188 of 149,136
How do you like those cables? Did you just get RCAs? I've been using the same (ancient) Monster cables (back before they went off the deep end price-wise and then belly up) for decades and been considering an upgrade. I did get one pair of Monoprice Monolith RCA cables to try. They seem decent, if nothing that special in build quality.
I haven't tried any other cables in this system, honestly. However, the build quality is at my level of soldering, and that's high praise - you don't know me though, so that might not carry some weight. The flexibility is beautiful and I love the name. I made a series of guitar patch cables for my pedalboard, and this beats that fender cable jackets flexibility.

There is the one coax spdif from monster coming from my Denon dvd-1720 (best CD transport! Even better through a Modi!). I bought it when Radio Shack was becoming The Source in Canada, for an employee discount on top of a clear out. It stands to be my nicest cable, honestly.

That's way before the Beats era, so it's a weird piece of cable history and it's still amazing. I rebought some CD's because of that extra little system which supplements my digital collection and my vinyl collection.

Sep 21, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #82,190 of 149,136
Close!
"You simply remove the stock fuses and jumpers and replace them with our replacements. Our jumpers are cryo treated 10AWG Silver plated copper in PTFE dielectric. Our fuse replacements are hand polished 99.97% pure solid silver hollow tube."
https://www.verastarr.com/magnepan-fuse-bypass

Actually worked on the LRS, though:stuck_out_tongue:
Only 99.97% pure? Bah. Mid-fi stuff. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Sep 21, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #82,191 of 149,136
Sep 21, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #82,192 of 149,136
20210915_134308.jpg
Here's where all those RCA's end up going. I gotta say, I'm surprised my username wasn't taken.

Long time lurker, first time show and tell :)
Where is the Vali 2+ to complete the entire family??

Sep 21, 2021 at 10:01 PM Post #82,193 of 149,136
Where is the Vali 2+ to complete the entire family??
If they're gonna make a black version, I'm in.

Odds are that with how enamored I am with this, I'll be going Bifrost & Valhalla (3? Doesn't really matter). I think I'm sold on my Grado's for life, and from what I hear, tubes make them sweeter

Sep 21, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #82,194 of 149,136
I've had an interesting few days in the audio world. I was able to participate in a tour sponsored by 46Audio for the Questyle CMA Twelve DAC/amp. I was curious to hear the CMA Twelve because I really like the QP2r DAP I have. It makes an outstanding pairing with the Meze Rai Penta IEMs I have. I was curious to know if the qualities I like about the QP2r would be present in the CMA Twelve.

In general, they are. The single biggest thing I like about the QP2r is how it presents dynamics and transients. It controls the drivers very well and makes transients very sharp and distinct. No "flubbiness" in the notes. The result is music is active, has life and motion. Control is most noticeable in the bass: my QP2r controls the Rai Penta's dynamic bass driver very well and increases the articulation and detail I hear in the low notes. This attribute was perfect with my Rai Pentas which were very laid back sounding with my other long-term reference DAP, the A&K AK70 Mk II. That said, the QP2r is a little "too much" for my 64Audio Trio- it makes the treble a tad harsh. I like the A&K/ Trio pairing better.

Now on to the CMA Twelve: my HiFiMAN HE-500 aren't particularly laid back, but I did notice the CMA Twelve had that same dynamic characteristic I hear from my QP2r. I was happy to hear that. Bass wasn't quote as extended as my Gungnir/ Aegir combination, treble was smooter than my Bifrost/ Mjolnir combination. There were other differences as well, but there will be a review posted in Head Gear in a few days.

What, you may ask, does any of this have to do with Schiit? One of the things I was concerned about was what if I really liked the CMA Twelve? Would I have to part with my Bifrost I MB/ Mjolnir I to make room for it (I don't collect gear)? The answer, I think, will be no. While the CMA Twelve is noticeably different from my Schiit gear, and I'll miss parts of it's presentation, for the head phones I have now, my Schiit is quite satisfying. I don't see myself making a change now. So perhaps, and it's very early to say this, my Schiit will turn out to be as upgrade-proof as my main stereo amplifiers (twenty-one years and counting in my living room). And... for those who have doubted the other posters earlier in this thread, don't doubt, if you find gear which provides you with sound you're satisfied with, you really can be done. That doesn't mean you should or have to stop listening to other equipment, but be careful about giving up what you've got for something new and "shiny". Long-term satisfaction is tough to find.

I don't think there was a large amount of Argle Bargle in my audition. I didn't spend too much time doing classic A/B comparisons. I spent more time simply listening and trying to hear certain attributes of the sound of the gear. I kept my source and head phones consistent as well. Of everyone I know, I'll bet only my son and one friend (also afflicted with Audio Nervosa) would have been able to tell the difference between the Questyle and my Schiit gear. I still think I could tell the difference in a blind test.

Sep 22, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #82,195 of 149,136
There's a mole at Schiit leaking lots of insider information, I think his name is Jason, but his identity is concealed by heavy video compression.

• Yggdrasil A2 will become Yggdrasil OG and get a higher price, still slated as the top model
  • Two more Yggdrasil variants will come with TI chips, one with 16 bit chips ("less is more" because some think it sounds the best), one with 20 bit chips ("more is less", best measuring Schiit DAC despite multibit)
  • Yggdrasil GS will go away
  • Ragnarok 2 now has a toroidal transformer with likely similar power, but lower noise floor
  • Urd is coming along, still some work left on the displays

Any idea as to why Folkvangr only has a 6.35mm headphone output?

My understanding (which may well be wrong) was that it would be balanced?

Is the lack of a 4-pin because it won't be able to adequately push hard to drive headphones?

Also people who have a Mjolnir 2 and wish to accompany it with this amp, may have to buy further cables - especially for the HE-6SE.

Maybe @Jason Stoddard could clarify? :)

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #82,196 of 149,136
20210915_134308.jpg
Here's where all those RCA's end up going. I gotta say, I'm surprised my username wasn't taken.

Nice perspective

Sep 22, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #82,197 of 149,136
20210915_134308.jpg

Welcome.
Now, what is that peculiar object in the right foreground. Looks like some piece of art I wish I had made.

Sep 22, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #82,198 of 149,136
Welcome.
Now, what is that peculiar object in the right foreground. Looks like some piece of art I wish I had made.
That is a Thunder Egg, my prized souvenir from my wife and I'd trip to Cape Disappointment in Washington State. I saw the iceberg shape in it and it was price be damned, the guy said it was the nicest one he had found. We bought it in Seaside, Oregon.

Sep 22, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #82,199 of 149,136
That is a Thunder Egg, my prized souvenir from my wife and I'd trip to Cape Disappointment in Washington State. I saw the iceberg shape in it and it was price be damned, the guy said it was the nicest one he had found. We bought it in Seaside, Oregon.

Well, thanks for the link, that looks amazing! The more you know...
Also, Cape Disappointment is a brilliant name LOL

(Incidentally fit for my current mood, just back from a first attempt at woodworking. Oh well, at least I still have all 10 fingers attached to my hands)

Sep 22, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #82,200 of 149,136
Well, thanks for the link, that looks amazing! The more you know...
Also, Cape Disappointment is a brilliant name LOL

(Incidentally fit for my current mood, just back from a first attempt at woodworking. Oh well, at least I still have all 10 fingers attached to my hands)
Everytime you work with wood and leave with the same amount of limbs and digits is considered a success. The shape the wood is in is inconsequential!

If you ever get the chance, the Cape is absolutely the opposite of its name sake. It is beautiful, the perfect place for a motorcycle trip

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back