Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 22, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #82,201 of 149,029
How do you like those cables? Did you just get RCAs? I've been using the same (ancient) Monster cables (back before they went off the deep end price-wise and then belly up) for decades and been considering an upgrade. I did get one pair of Monoprice Monolith RCA cables to try. They seem decent, if nothing that special in build quality.

Still using my Monster RCAs. No complaints. No worries. No nervosa. No need to change. No belief more $$ = more better when it comes to cables. (Other than possibly upgrading from the pack-in RCAs that sometimes come with a new piece of gear.)

That being said I did buy a fancy set of Monster speaker cables on sale on a whim. Not because I thought they would sound any better than the flat Nordosts I replaced (but kept), but because they were really fat and I was feeling hi-fi inadequacy at the time and thought they might "up" my visual cred.

I got over it, but I'm still using them since they appear to work just fine. I never noticed any difference in sound.

Sep 22, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #82,207 of 149,029
Kind of a touchy subject, but how does everyone here power their schiit? Power conditioners? Fancy power cables? Whatever comes in the box? Plastic bags of gems taped onto the terminations???
I use equipment as it was designed.

Sep 22, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #82,208 of 149,029
Virtual SchiitrMeet September
The Road to Schiit

Hey guys,

So how do you get into audio? Why would you want to go into engineering in the first place? Is it chance, or is it a plan? If it's a plan, why the detours into advertising and novel-writing? I get asked these questions a lot, and Denise and Brian thought it might be a great idea to go into "the path to audio," or "the road to Schiit," in more detail. Or at least my path. If you want Mike's perspective, you'll have to wait until next month.

So what do you want to know? Please send questions to denise@schiit.com

Please note this is Central Time; I'll be in Texas for this one.

Virtual SchiitrMeet September
Wednesday, September 22, 4PM CT

Please join us on Facebook or YouTube:

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZqCWt2_qqB-UD0-pcPpxCw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/

All the best,
Jason
Why?

Successful company. Cheap, available technology, (video, microphones, talent) unused.

Why do Schiit video endevors sound as if they're made by the 5th grade "slow" class?

I record these for my amusement.

Sep 22, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #82,209 of 149,029
Kind of a touchy subject, but how does everyone here power their schiit? Power conditioners? Fancy power cables? Whatever comes in the box? Plastic bags of gems taped onto the terminations???
Through a APC UPS only because we get intermittent brown/black outs/flicker to keep the surge and sudden off away from the equipment, but same cords and such they came with.

Sep 22, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #82,210 of 149,029
Why?

Successful company. Cheap, available technology, (video, microphones, talent) unused.

Why do Schiit video endevors sound as if they're made by the 5th grade "slow" class?

I record these for my amusement.

Although I've had the same thoughts I figure it's best not to criticize and just be thankful we get little snippets into the people behind schiit and sneak peaks at future products.

On another note... I used to run private corporate events in the commercial av rental world. Served companies like facebook, amazon, qualtrics etc. i would love to work for schiit as their "virtual schiit meets guru." Let me know if you want my resume, Jason! haha

Sep 22, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #82,211 of 149,029
I use a CyberPower Sinewave UPS, all original power cords.

Sep 22, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #82,212 of 149,029
2 channel rig: Belkin PureAV power conditioner and Pangea AC-14 power cords on all except PC and Rpi. Cyberpower UPS on PC and Rpi.

Headphone rig: Cyberpower Sinewave UPS on PC, HP amp, and DAC, Pangea AC-14 power cords on HP amp and DAC.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 9:20 PM Post #82,213 of 149,029
Whatever power cables that I have lying around plugged in to a standard power strip/surge protector.

Sep 22, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #82,214 of 149,029
Living room: Audioquest NRG Edison outlet, Audioquest Niagara 1200 power conditioner, Wireworld Stratus 7 power cords

Desk: Furman PST-8 surge protector > 2x Tripp-Lite PS240810 power strips + 6x iFi AC iPurifier plug-in power conditioners, Wireworld Stratus 7 and Volex 17604 power cords

Bedroom: TP-Link HS110 smart plug, Audioquest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, Volex 17604 & 17605 power cords

Kitchen: Tripp-Lite Isobar 8 surge protector, Volex 17604 power cords

The Volex power cords are a no-brainer. 14 AWG, shielded, affordable, but only come in 2 m (17604) and 3 m (17605) lengths.
The Stratus 7 sounds a bit better to me, is 12 AWG, less flexible, more expensive while still reasonable, and starts at 1 m.
I tried some other power cords over time, but stuck with these, both based on listening tests and testing the shielding with a TriField TF2.

The Niagara 1000 made a considerable difference when I first tried it (but only in my living room speaker system, not with my headphone setups) and I wanted a second high current outlet for the subwoofer, so I upgraded to the 1200 and use the 1000 in the bedroom. I have yet to try and isolate what equipment it most helps/helped with, though. I hope to eventually have an audio rack that is more suitable for swapping power back and forth, currently it's too much of a chore.
The iFi AC iPurifier helped a bit with imaging in my speaker system, with two helping more than one, and a third... maybe some more, not sure. But I wound up buying three more over time, so now I use them at my experimental desk setup, one power strip for DACs, one for amps, and 3x AC iPurifier per power strip to separate the equipment somewhat. At the very least I sleep better with them.

The Furman PST-8 (technically a power conditioner) and Tripp-Lite Isobar 8 (with four isolated banks) are just supposedly capable surge protectors to me. The PST-8D version didn't seem to do anything for the sound of my speaker system. There's a chance that the Isobar 8 is actually a bad choice, the one in my living room makes my torchiere flicker when my vacuum (both plugged into it) gets stuck on a rug or when the fridge turns on (in the kitchen), which doesn't happen when the torchiere is just plugged into a wall. I guess that means it's doing something, eh?
The Audioquest NRG Edison outlet I got as part of my "I'm new to this, I'll try anything" approach. It's one of the few "audiophile" outlets that has a 15A version, not just 20A, and I didn't want to violate some building codes. Can't say that I heard it make a difference, but it sure is very grippy indeed. My current furniture also gets in the way of reasonably comfortable A/B tests here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back