Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 4, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #81,451 of 150,202
Metallica were the first ones to violently sue Napster.

The student lawsuits were more nuanced, and that was the recording industry (not bands). Some students had websites that made it easier to find crap in Napster. The settlements were under 20k IIRC.

Apple meanwhile decided not to treat kids like criminals and brokered an amazing DRM-laced compromise with the recording companies. And it allowed them to peddle more Low-Fi silicon than anyone could have imagined. And by 2004, it was a brave new world:

I had the 40GB iPod. I did not care it did not sound like Vinyl. I had all my crap in my back pack. I dreamt one day we’d get portable digital HiFi… and here we are. I’d say today it’s the best we’ve ever had it for music lovers.

You are correct, I never listened to Metallica or AC/DC. My VPN was through the university and my wife got a threatening letter at the time because of music one of our kids was sharing. The laws seemed pretty threatening but actual settlements were not posted at the time.

IU blocked Napster a day after Yale did the same.

Sep 4, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #81,452 of 150,202
I read Harkness years ago and those are very entertaining. As far as series, I have read all of Michael Connely, Elmore Leonard, Raymond Chandler, Carl Hiaasen, Scott Lynch, and of course the Pendergast serious by Preston and Child. It was just so much easier to select 17 books or so and not have to find new titles all the time. :) I used to drive two hours a day so Audible books helped.
I had a nasty commute in LA too, audio kept mr going. Just started the Fafhard and the Grey Mouser stuff. Donna Leon’s series set in Venice is great as well…

Sep 4, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #81,453 of 150,202
Sep 4, 2021 at 11:42 PM Post #81,454 of 150,202
Here's a playlist I stumbled on a few years ago. The Spotify link only shows 100 songs but here's the complete list of 3500 songs is attached below.

Any chance anyone could convert it with Soundiiz or some other app into a machine-processable format rather than PDF? I'm a sort of Murakami fan (not so much of his most recent, rather repetitive, overblown work, but of After Dark, Kafka on the Shore, The Wind-up Bird Chronicle, Norwegian Wood, A Wild Sheep Chase) and his jazz (and classical) references are constantly tugging at the reader (he managed a record store and a jazz club back before he became a famous writer).

Sep 4, 2021 at 11:44 PM Post #81,455 of 150,202
Is anyone else scratching their head right now? The streaming services pay for the rights to stream music, I doubt if said services want unauthorized music to be added on or am I missing something here?
You are missing something. The playlist is just pointers to the tracks, not the tracks themselves.

Sep 5, 2021 at 12:05 AM Post #81,456 of 150,202
My bad, I misinterpreted what people were hoping for and now it makes more sense. Spotify showed music that was made for the Bosch series and it sure is not on Tidal that I can find.
Amazon Prime Video have an account on Spotify where they created public playlists of music used in some of their series such as Bosch. They simply picked out individual tracks from different albums available on Spotify and collected them into a playlist. Amazon could also do this on Tidal or Qobuz but they didn't bother because the market is too small. But anybody can create an equivalent playlist for themselves except that they would have to find all the track and album sources. Tools like Soundiiz and MusConv help to automate the process. These tools can extract the album/track information from the Spotify playlist, search for the same album/track on Tidal and generate a Tidal playlist.

Here you can see that a Spotify user named "Prime Video" (with Amazon Prime Video logo) created the Bosch playlist which is composed of tracks from different albums.

Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 9.13.27 PM.png

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2021 at 4:16 AM Post #81,457 of 150,202
Amazon Prime Video have gone onto Spotify and created playlists of music used in some of their series such as Bosch. They simply picked out individual tracks from different albums available on Spotify and collected them into a playlist. Amazon could also do this on Tidal or Qobuz but they didn't bother because the market is too small. But anybody can create an equivalent playlist for themselves except that they would have to find all the track and album sources. Tools like Soundiiz and MusConv help to automate the process. These tools can extract the album/track information from the Spotify playlist, search for the same album/track on Tidal and generate a Tidal playlist.

Here you can see that a Spotify user named "Prime Video" (with Amazon Prime Video logo) created the Bosch playlist and it has tracks from different albums.

Plex already does this with Tidal for some time now. I guess a year or so, maybe two.

tidal.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2021 at 5:03 AM Post #81,458 of 150,202
Rugby player position names and numbers:

Forwards - the heart and soul of the team the blokes that shed the blood in the trenches.

1. Prop (loose head), usually the most articulate, charming and natural at coaching (because they are strategically pacing themselves for the next ruck, maul, lineout, or scrum).

2. Hook, very versatile and technical position. The best ones are great runners and tacklers.

3. Prop (tight head), most of the description of #1 applies, but slightly less so.

4. 2nd row left - usually tall (they jump in the lineout) and provide much of the "push" in a scrum. Sometimes captains.
5. 2nd row right - all #4 applies.

6. Blind side/Left flanker/break , usually one of the first to the ball, great tacklers.
7. Open side/right flanker/break, #6 but on the right.

8. #8 (it's a rugby thing). Very strategic position- controls the balls exit from the scrum. Works with #9 to set-up offense plays. Often captains.

Backs - the dandies that take all the glory for the hard work done by the forwards.

9. Scrum half, very talented, many are the captain. Usually control the ball, direct others and setup offensive and defensive plays. Strangely smaller players that play 3x larger than they are as well.

10. Fly-half, extremely talented, excellent kickers, usually kick extra points and penalties.

11. Winger- left, very fast and vital to defensive play. Often last to get the ball while running it in for a try.

12. Inside center- talented and loves to tackle and "crash" through the opposition defense.

13. Outside center - similar to #12

14. Winger - right - all #11 applies

15. Fullback - last line of defense, often "calls" defensive plays, sets up offensive plays. Great kicker.

For the record, I started out as 11, then 6 when I was young and speedy. Once I built up some "muscle" (maybe too much) I became #1 for over 22 years and also played some 2 and 3.

I have also played games as 4,5,7,8, 12 and 13. The only positions I have not played are 9,10, and 15.
As a ‘soft southerner’ I never played rugby; I stuck to football ( soccer).
However, one of the worst injuries I have seen was sustained on a football pitch by a huge guy who normally played rugby.
Horrible leg break. We all heard the sickening ‘crack’.
It just shows that any ‘contact sport’ presents some risk of injury.
Fortunately I didn’t break any bones but I did dislocate a shoulder which was pretty painful.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #81,459 of 150,202
Any chance anyone could convert it with Soundiiz or some other app into a machine-processable format rather than PDF? I'm a sort of Murakami fan (not so much of his most recent, rather repetitive, overblown work, but of After Dark, Kafka on the Shore, The Wind-up Bird Chronicle, Norwegian Wood, A Wild Sheep Chase) and his jazz (and classical) references are constantly tugging at the reader (he managed a record store and a jazz club back before he became a famous writer).

Attachments

• Playlist_-_the_music_of_harry_bosch.xlsx
    8 KB · Views: 0
  • Playlist_2_-_haruki_murakamis_vinyl_collection.xlsx
    89.9 KB · Views: 0
Sep 5, 2021 at 7:35 AM Post #81,460 of 150,202
You are correct, I never listened to Metallica or AC/DC. My VPN was through the university and my wife got a threatening letter at the time because of music one of our kids was sharing. The laws seemed pretty threatening but actual settlements were not posted at the time.

IU blocked Napster a day after Yale did the same.
Some of the "legal" threats employed by many Intellectual Property owners are draconian and arguably illegal themselves. I made a great deal of my living from IP, so I'm not a fan of illegal content and uses, but the situation now out of control. If you are at all interested in this (and don't get me started on patent trolls) then the EFF is an organization that will, IMHO, be on the right side of history. Here is a starter for ten (those of you in the UK will understand that): https://www.eff.org/cases/felten-et-al-v-riaa-et-al

Cheers

Sep 5, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #81,461 of 150,202
Amazon Prime Video have gone onto Spotify and created playlists of music used in some of their series such as Bosch. They simply picked out individual tracks from different albums available on Spotify and collected them into a playlist. Amazon could also do this on Tidal or Qobuz but they didn't bother because the market is too small. But anybody can create an equivalent playlist for themselves except that they would have to find all the track and album sources. Tools like Soundiiz and MusConv help to automate the process. These tools can extract the album/track information from the Spotify playlist, search for the same album/track on Tidal and generate a Tidal playlist.

Here you can see that a Spotify user named "Prime Video" (with Amazon Prime Video logo) created the Bosch playlist and it has tracks from different albums.

Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 9.13.27 PM.png
Yup, that's what I do in Roon with a combination of library and Qobuz sources. I was trying to avoid the PITA work of doing so! There is also the issue of finding a definitive list of music. There are a couple of sources: Whatsong and Tunefind, but neither is complete as far as I can see :frowning2:(

Cheers

Sep 5, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #81,462 of 150,202
As a ‘soft southerner’ I never played rugby; I stuck to football ( soccer).
However, one of the worst injuries I have seen was sustained on a football pitch by a huge guy who normally played rugby.
Horrible leg break. We all heard the sickening ‘crack’.
It just shows that any ‘contact sport’ presents some risk of injury.
Fortunately I didn’t break any bones but I did dislocate a shoulder which is pretty painful.
You soft southerners play Union. You should try League, which is much more interesting and very fast!

Sep 5, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #81,463 of 150,202
Plex already does this with Tidal for some time now. I guess a year or so, maybe two.

tidal.jpg
Could you talk a little more about this? There are a few of us on here who are Plex advocates (it's how I stream my music to the car whilst away from home) and I have no inkling of this. How does it work? Does it only apply to Tidal?

Cheers

Sep 5, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #81,465 of 150,202

Users who are viewing this thread

Back