Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 5, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #81,466 of 150,194
Sep 5, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #81,467 of 150,194
Rugby player position names and numbers:

Forwards - the heart and soul of the team the blokes that shed the blood in the trenches.

1. Prop (loose head), usually the most articulate, charming and natural at coaching (because they are strategically pacing themselves for the next ruck, maul, lineout, or scrum).

2. Hook, very versatile and technical position. The best ones are great runners and tacklers.

3. Prop (tight head), most of the description of #1 applies, but slightly less so.

4. 2nd row left - usually tall (they jump in the lineout) and provide much of the "push" in a scrum. Sometimes captains.
5. 2nd row right - all #4 applies.

6. Blind side/Left flanker/break , usually one of the first to the ball, great tacklers.
7. Open side/right flanker/break, #6 but on the right.

8. #8 (it's a rugby thing). Very strategic position- controls the balls exit from the scrum. Works with #9 to set-up offense plays. Often captains.

Backs - the dandies that take all the glory for the hard work done by the forwards.

9. Scrum half, very talented, many are the captain. Usually control the ball, direct others and setup offensive and defensive plays. Strangely smaller players that play 3x larger than they are as well.

10. Fly-half, extremely talented, excellent kickers, usually kick extra points and penalties.

11. Winger- left, very fast and vital to defensive play. Often last to get the ball while running it in for a try.

12. Inside center- talented and loves to tackle and "crash" through the opposition defense.

13. Outside center - similar to #12

14. Winger - right - all #11 applies

15. Fullback - last line of defense, often "calls" defensive plays, sets up offensive plays. Great kicker.

For the record, I started out as 11, then 6 when I was young and speedy. Once I built up some "muscle" (maybe too much) I became #1 for over 22 years and also played some 2 and 3.

I have also played games as 4,5,7,8, 12 and 13. The only positions I have not played are 9,10, and 15.
Damn ... and people think American football is complicated. Interesting (to me) that you played 11 but not 9 nor 10.

Re: Bosch music - when I read the Harry Bosch series, I sent a message to Michael Connelly that he was costing me money. Not for the books, but for all the new music that I was inspired to acquire. It was a fun journey :)

Sep 5, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #81,468 of 150,194
Drat I was hoping you would sleep in today and not get involved. :ksc75smile:
I *did* sleep in....until 6:00. Then woke up in a panic realizing half the day was shot. :smile:

Sep 5, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #81,469 of 150,194
I *did* sleep in....until 6:00. Then woke up in a panic realizing half the day was shot. :smile:
My goal for today is to call in some favors and see if I can put together the Bosch system with the help of local friends.

I tracked down the amp and preamp pretty quickly, I believe I know someone with the speakers but he has not responded back yet.

I may have to sub out the turntable if no one in my local group has one, I own a Hitachi direct drive from about the same time period and have a couple other options if need be. They can be pricey if you find a nice one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185016240408?hash=item2b13d3c918:g:s2gAAOSwLi5hJkln

I am tempted to buy a sold as is 6300 for $800 but I would be taking a chance. The base is pretty rough but I could replace or rebuild that.

If I can pull this together my first listen will be Patricia by Art Pepper, followed by some Miles Davis and Stan Getz. I do have the Amazon play list in front of me.

All this talk about Bosch caused this to become a short term goal. :ksc75smile:

1630852736508.png

McIntosh MX110 tuner/pre-amplifier
McIntosh MC240 power amplifier
Marantz 6300 turntable
Ohm Walsh 4 speakers

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #81,471 of 150,194
To do it right, you really need that living room. Oh, and Maddie.
Fat chance lol

Most likely I will set up at a friends place whom I believe has the speakers. I am providing the inspiration, I will let other people schlep the gear. :ksc75smile:

1630855674956.png

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #81,472 of 150,194
All, my Yamaha CD-600 CD player is dying. It’s 25 years old so it doesn’t owe me anything. I can‘t afford the new Schiit CD transport but was wondering how I might do by purchasing a $500 or so player and a Bifrost DAC? Any thoughts or recommendations are welcome.

Thanks, Ray

Sep 5, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #81,473 of 150,194
Sep 5, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #81,475 of 150,194
Damn ... and people think American football is complicated. Interesting (to me) that you played 11 but not 9 nor 10.

Re: Bosch music - when I read the Harry Bosch series, I sent a message to Michael Connelly that he was costing me money. Not for the books, but for all the new music that I was inspired to acquire. It was a fun journey :)
I used to be fast, but I could never kick very well... lol

Sep 5, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #81,476 of 150,194
All, my Yamaha CD-600 CD player is dying. It’s 25 years old so it doesn’t owe me anything. I can‘t afford the new Schiit CD transport but was wondering how I might do by purchasing a $500 or so player and a Bifrost DAC? Any thoughts or recommendations are welcome.

Thanks, Ray
With $ 500 you are just something like $ 200 short on Urd as I recall correctly what Jason mentioned about the price.

Sep 5, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #81,477 of 150,194

Thanks, Ray
A couple of CD transports which I would consider ( if I don't get the Schiit 'Urd') are:

Cambridge Audio CXC ( about £400 in UK)
https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/gbr/en/products/cx/cxc

Audiolab 6000CDT ( about £400 in UK)
https://www.audiolab.co.uk/6000cdt/

I would probably get the Audiolab as it appears to be better built than the Cambridge Audio one.
This review by Paul Rigby, is one of many saying how good it is:
https://theaudiophileman.com/6000cdt-cd-transport-from-audiolab/

Sep 5, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #81,478 of 150,194
I have to confess that I don't really like any form of rugby, but in my opinion, League is far better to watch than Union.
It is certainly fast!
League is not really rugby... half the game of Union is in the set pieces.

League is like putting a bunch of sugar, milk, and whipping cream into an already good coffee ☕

If you want excitement, watch 7's (which is enjoyable to play/watch). They play here in Vancouver, BC and other places like Hong Kong, Los Vegas, etc.

I am also a big NFL watcher and specifically a Chicago Bears 🐻 fan.

Sep 5, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #81,479 of 150,194
Could you talk a little more about this? There are a few of us on here who are Plex advocates (it's how I stream my music to the car whilst away from home) and I have no inkling of this. How does it work? Does it only apply to Tidal?

Cheers
When you select an episode of any serie in Plex to play, it displays this screen with tracks that are present in the episode at the bottom of the screen. You can select them on that screen to play. Requires a Tidal account to link to Plex.
They use Tunefind to make it work
Explanation
You can also search for any movie, series etc on TuneFind

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back