Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 12, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #80,356 of 151,084
New gear day. The Lyr shipped two days after placing the order.

F329A13D-9035-4148-A914-5D2E1357BD34.jpeg

Aug 12, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #80,357 of 151,084
i wish everything had the chrome knobs (like in jcflox's post), i think it would look great on the black gear (vs. the matte grey knobs they get)

anyway to change them aftermarket?

Aug 12, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #80,358 of 151,084
i wish everything had the chrome knobs (like in jcflox's post), i think it would look great on the black gear (vs. the matte grey knobs they get)

anyway to change them aftermarket?

I searched on eBay for "audio knobs" and got 4,269 hits. My guess is somewhere in there is the knob you want. Well, the knob you want is probably in China at moment...

Aug 12, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #80,360 of 151,084
I searched on eBay for "audio knobs" and got 4,269 hits. My guess is somewhere in there is the knob you want. Well, the knob you want is probably in China at moment...

is there like, a size or do all pots have a universal thinger to knob it up?

edit: apparently normal people call it a "shaft diameter"

(searching things like 'aluminum' or 'chrome' audio knob yield significantly less results, look like small tone control for guitars mostly)

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #80,361 of 151,084
Aug 12, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #80,364 of 151,084
On ebay try "poentiometer knob." You can also enter parameters on left side for things like material
(click on aluminum, metal, and not specified, leave plastic blank)...

Aug 12, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #80,365 of 151,084
Aug 12, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #80,367 of 151,084
So, here are two thoughts that crossed my mind while perusing the posts of recent weeks:

1.) With all that talk about brushed and sanded surface finishes, I'm surprised that no one has pointed out yet that it's not just a question of sanded or brushed, but also of HOW sanded and HOW brushed, and even of color! Has anyone noticed yet that no two products really seem to share the exact same finish? 😜
Although my two Aegirs and my Freya+ are both brushed, the Aegirs have an ever so slight bit more gloss to them. The brushing on my Mjolnir seems to go a tad deeper into the metal than that of my Gumby, and the brushing of both of them looks ever so slightly "less refined" than that of the Aegirs and Freya (although I like the "less refined" more, it looks more industrial, which I generally appreciate).
The surface grain of my Lokius seems ever so slightly rougher than that of my Modius, and specifically with the Modius I can't quite decide if it's sanded or actually super finely brushed. And I think the finest grain I have seen yet is on my Loki (non-Plus). And Bifrost? Well, that thing is outright golden; and I don't (just) mean its sound! (Meaning: The Bifrost's aluminum has a slightly more yellow-ish tint to it than the other Schiit. Together with that slight tint, the Bifrost's surface finish feels almost too smooth, considering that it's grainy. It's almost like there's a super fine coat of some form of lacquer or transparent paint on it.)
(For what it's worth: As far as I can tell, all products that use the thinner sheet metal come in matte, all those that use the thicker metal come in brushed. Exceptions: Bifrost and Asgard; they use thick metal but come in matte. If it weren't for those two, I would be tempted to think that the different surface finishes may be a result of the thickness of the metal, meaning that the process of bending the thicker metal might be too destructive to the matte finish, so they go with brushed for those. Or they prefer brushed themselves, but go with matte with the thinner metals because those tend to be products with (even) slimmer margins? Maybe the matte finish is cheaper to produce and/or leads to fewer rejects? I have no idea, I don't know the first thing about manufacturing. Obviously. 😬)

2.) Ever since the first Lokius units shipped out, I wondered if there's someone at Schiit perusing this thread (and other boards), thinking: "How come that nobody noticed that Lokius' vent holes aren't just perfectly aligned with the knobs, but that the holes are also designed to look like six EQ bars?" 🤣
Well, maybe I just missed it, but I have yet to see anyone mention this. But every time I look at one of my Lokiuses, I have to smile, because I love the look of those holes. Maybe they know their customers and thought: "The second we put this thing out there, we'll for sure get emails asking `Why does this tone control not come with EQ bars?!`, and now we can reply: `But it DOES!`" 🤣
Whoever at Schiit came up with that idea deserves a doughnut. 😁

Here's the thing, though: Those EQ bars, the levels they show. Are they just random, or is that a snapshot of someone's favorite passage of their favorite song!? 😄
Or… are those bars a hint, pointing out knob positions for us to reach pure audio bliss?! But if so, what would be "100%"?! The highest of the six bars? The far corner of the sheet metal? Or as far in from the far corner as the bottom end of the bars are to the near corner? So many questions! 😳

(Where are those illuminati and tin foil hat emojis when one needs them!)

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #80,368 of 151,084
edit: apparently normal people call it a "shaft diameter"

(searching things like 'aluminum' or 'chrome' audio knob yield significantly less results, look like small tone control for guitars mostly)
In all fairness, though, searching for "shaft diameter" might turn out equally … uhm … unhelpful. 😁

All right, I'll show myself out… 😏

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #80,369 of 151,084
fwiw the grain on the Loki and Valhalla 1 match

Aug 12, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #80,370 of 151,084
My silver Lokius should be here Saturday, I might, at some point, swap knobs with my black unit for contrast. They appear to be push-on's. Of course the possibility of pushing or pulling and bending or breaking something in the pot or on the board does give me pause for thought. :laughing:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back