Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 10, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #80,326 of 150,600
You left out the speakers, man! We’re all a bit nuts, you…must……share with us.
😂
In my office connected to the Schiit stack are a pair of SVS Ultra bookshelves with GR Research crossovers. And I do actually have some room treatment in my office. Maybe not as much as I could but it still needs to look good.

Now, since you asked nicely, in the living room I have an Oppo BDP-103 connected to a Schiit Saga+ and into a Kenwood M2A playing out Infinity Quantum IIs. All 90+ pounds of them. The TV is connected to the Saga via an optical connection to a Schiit Uber 2. The Kenwood has been flawless since I bought it new and is a really close equal to my Vidar but with bigger balls.

Aug 11, 2021 at 12:32 AM Post #80,327 of 150,600
You are correct - Direct mode bypasses the tone controls, turns off the subwoofer, and sets the front speakers to full range.

The only way to get "analog" on a hone theatre receiver is to hook up your source to the six channel analog input originally intended for SACD.

I agree... I think?

Direct mode bypasses all digital.

I don't understand what you mean about the only way to get analog is to use 6 channel?

I take whatever analog 2-channel source and use direct mode. Why use 6-channel?

Aug 11, 2021 at 1:34 AM Post #80,328 of 150,600
I have a Marantz AVR and my understanding (from the manual) is that Pure Direct bypasses audio manipulation like EQ, time alignment, crossovers, etc. It does not however bypass ADC and DAC. I believe the volume control itself is digital. I could be wrong though as I haven't come across anything definitive.

Aug 11, 2021 at 3:10 AM Post #80,329 of 150,600
I agree... I think?

Direct mode bypasses all digital.

I don't understand what you mean about the only way to get analog is to use 6 channel?

I take whatever analog 2-channel source and use direct mode. Why use 6-channel?
As stated earlier, on many home theater receivers analog inputs are converted to digital and than back to analog.

Because of Sony copyright protection on DSD, many receivers have the analog input to receive the analog output of SACD players. I do this between my Pioneer Elite DVD/SACD player and Denon HT receiver.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #80,330 of 150,600
I feel ya' man. Did the same thing on my Pro-ject. Made me want to buy a turntable with a quick-connect head shell. May still do so. Good luck.
I did the same thing to a Pro-Ject last spring so my idiot score is a perfect 100 this year. I thought I was ok with the wire being actual wire, but due to operator error I failed.

I bought the SOL after realizing changing cartridges was a no go, and I think the design is superior to any other turntable I've seen without spending extra money. SOL is the best you can get, for the least amount of material. At $200 a throw, I figured I could buy two extra arms and solve the problem. But Schiit's success in the face of supply problems and etc from COVID means they don't have time for these low profit, low sales, high staff time projects. I was thrilled to even be able to get one of the last production units. I can find someone to design an arm, or try it myself.

Sound-smith dot com installed their cartridge and repaired my tonearm for a token charge (really, under $100 including shipping home). I still have to fine tune the install, but no wires to snap!

Any experience or suggestions in the meantime for a headshell equipped set up that doesn't act like a microphone is appreciated!

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #80,331 of 150,600
I have a Marantz AVR and my understanding (from the manual) is that Pure Direct bypasses audio manipulation like EQ, time alignment, crossovers, etc. It does not however bypass ADC and DAC. I believe the volume control itself is digital. I could be wrong though as I haven't come across anything definitive.

Ah. Ok. I'll have to look into that.

Aug 11, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #80,332 of 150,600
As stated earlier, on many home theater receivers analog inputs are converted to digital and than back to analog.

Because of Sony copyright protection on DSD, many receivers have the analog input to receive the analog output of SACD players. I do this between my Pioneer Elite DVD/SACD player.

Gotcha.

Aug 11, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #80,333 of 150,600
So I think my Lokius may be a lemon, maybe one of you guys can help trouble shoot this with me to confirm?

I was listening to a track that has a simple bassy / drum beat intro and noticed fuzz/static in one ear. So I went into settings and swapped left and right channels, and it did nothing, source is fine (not clipping in the track itself in 1 channel), so I thought oh crap, is my driver damaged?

So I started following the chain, swapped my L & R cables going into my headphones, and the static swapped with it, so it wasnt the headphones being broken either, the static was either being introduced somewhere in the Schiit chain

I put the Bifrost directly into my amp, and there was no static. So it's not the amp. I switched the output RCA cables on my Bifrost, the static remained in the same channel, so this means the static is being introduced in the Lokius and produced before its output, right?

I tried Lokius in bypass mode, no static when its bypassed, same as Bifrost direct to amp. I tried balanced out from Bifrost to Lokius, and the issue is still there. Balanced-in on Lokius doesn't help.

I swap the output on the Lokius with EQ active, and the static switches with it. It seems the Right (red) RCA output is the problem when the EQ is active, so the issue is in the EQ processing of the right channel, right?

edit: yeah its absolutely the Lokius, whichever cable is receiving signal from the Lokius with EQ active gets static distortion out the Right output, anything from 20hz-1khz is audible. I tried turning the 20 & 120hz knobs down to see if less bass would help but could only mask it temporarily, once the sine tone video got to a higher pitch it would come back into play

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #80,334 of 150,600
I think you covered it all. Contact Schiit customer service. The only problem I ever had of the many pieces of Schiit I have was with a Jot 2 (in black with bent volume control shaft that would start binding against the front plate at about the 1 o'clock position), they immediately sent out a new one and I returned the defective one after receiving it.

No problems with my Lokius so far, luv it, the hinge points at 100/2K/6K align perfectly with what I need to adjust on my SR1a to get it to my liking. Just ordered a second Lokius for my upstairs rig.

Aug 11, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #80,335 of 150,600
So I think my Lokius may be a lemon, maybe one of you guys can help trouble shoot this with me to confirm?

I was listening to a track that has a simple bassy / drum beat intro and noticed fuzz/static in one ear. So I went into settings and swapped left and right channels, and it did nothing, source is fine (not clipping in the track itself in 1 channel), so I thought oh crap, is my driver damaged?

So I started following the chain, swapped my L & R cables going into my headphones, and the static swapped with it, so it wasnt the headphones being broken either, the static was either being introduced somewhere in the Schiit chain

I put the Bifrost directly into my amp, and there was no static. So it's not the amp. I switched the output RCA cables on my Bifrost, the static remained in the same channel, so this means the static is being introduced in the Lokius and produced before its output, right?

I tried Lokius in bypass mode, no static when its bypassed, same as Bifrost direct to amp. I tried balanced out from Bifrost to Lokius, and the issue is still there. Balanced-in on Lokius doesn't help.

I swap the output on the Lokius with EQ active, and the static switches with it. It seems the Right (red) RCA output is the problem when the EQ is active, so the issue is in the EQ processing of the right channel, right?

edit: yeah its absolutely the Lokius, whichever cable is receiving signal from the Lokius with EQ active gets static distortion out the Right output, anything from 20hz-1khz is audible. I tried turning the 20 & 120hz knobs down to see if less bass would help but could only mask it temporarily, once the sine tone video got to a higher pitch it would come back into play
Only other trouble shooting is to confirm that you don't have you Lokius in a stack. Schitt has said it can sometimes cause static in that setup

Aug 11, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #80,336 of 150,600
Only other trouble shooting is to confirm that you don't have you Lokius in a stack. Schitt has said it can sometimes cause static in that setup

def not that, the Lokius interference is more of a lower hum that's only audible with nothing playing and the amp cranked up; this, with the sine wave test playing, sounds like a buzzing fly in my ear. Wouldnt have noticed it with faster music.

shot an email to support, so bummed out...

edit: strange development, thought i was imagining things before because i couldnt repeat it, but toggling XLR/RCA switch "fixes it"...sometimes. Right now the buzz is gone even though I'm back on RCA, put it on XLR and the problem returned, flipped it a bunch more and its broken on both now again, like a 1 in 100 shot; even when it sounds like its gone though, play a song like Dream On by Aerosmith, the guitar solo, pops right back, sounds like hell

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #80,337 of 150,600
def not that, the Lokius interference is more of a lower hum that's only audible with nothing playing and the amp cranked up; this, with the sine wave test playing, sounds like a buzzing fly in my ear. Wouldnt have noticed it with faster music.

shot an email to support, so bummed out...

edit: strange development, thought i was imagining things before because i couldnt repeat it, but toggling XLR/RCA switch "fixes it"...sometimes. Right now the buzz is gone even though I'm back on RCA, put it on XLR and the problem returned, flipped it a bunch more and its broken on both now again, like a 1 in 100 shot
I really dislike inconsistently broken stuff! Makes diagnosing the problem difficult :grinning:

Aug 11, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #80,338 of 150,600
My Jotunheim 2 was delivered today. It's set up and I'm listening to it. This is exactly what I was after, an amp that is slightly/moderately less mellow than the Asgard 3.

The clarity through the balanced headphone out is subtly but noticeably better compared to the SE out on the A3 or the Jot 2. This is definitely a solid state amp, though. No hint of tubeyness like the Asgard 3.

These are only my preliminary impression, the amp has only been on 20 minutes.

Edit: Let me just say IMO Schiit should've stuck with the brushed finish on all their gear. Any small scratch or mark that is possible to see in bright light on the satin finish on the Bifrost 2 or the Asgard 3 is impossible to see on the brushed finish. My Jotunheim 2 looks flawless.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #80,339 of 150,600
My Jotunheim 2 was delivered today. It's set up and I'm listening to it. This is exactly what I was after, an amp that is slightly/moderately less mellow than the Asgard 3.

The clarity through the balanced headphone out is subtly but noticeably better compared to the SE out on the A3 or the Jot 2. This is definitely a solid state amp, though. No hint of tubeyness like the Asgard 3.

These are only my preliminary impression, the amp has only been on 20 minutes.

Edit: Let me just say IMO Schiit should've stuck with the brushed finish on all their gear. Any small scratch or mark that is possible to see in bright light on the satin finish on the Bifrost 2 or the Asgard 3 is impossible to see on the brushed finish. My Jotunheim 2 looks flawless.
Damn you! Don't make me buy a Jot... but I do find my Asgard 3 slightly warm in tone... lol

Aug 11, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #80,340 of 150,600

Agreed, brushed all the way. Went with the black on my recent order and it looks very cheap by comparison, plus the paint came with a defect / white spec on it that's driving me nuts

small scratches on my brushed aluminum valhalla just blend right in, barely notice any imperfections

Users who are viewing this thread

Back