Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 10, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #80,312 of 149,328
I catch your drift now.

The Matanz has built-in Spotify Connect and Tidal Connect, so I was planning on using that and seeing how it goes, so that signal would get converted right there on the unit.
If I decided to buy a separate streamer, that would come a little later.

Thanks for the input though, much obliged.z

EDIT: I thought I would expand on why or how I would add a Freya and a Gungnir: IF I added separate streamer, or a turntable, I would want a separate chain for that with a simple Goldpoint XLR switcher would handle. The Marantz will handle TV perfectly. I don't have confidence it will handle 2 channel, balanced outputs or not. I'm 47 years old and I played deep house sets in Hollywood for years a decade ago - and I say that to say that I'm not sure where my ear rolloff is in the treble, but I know it's there. 18k? God I hope not....

Punk rock DJ in my case. I got one of those Stereophile test CDs and a sound meter app for my phone. Playing their test tones I could measure sound up to 20kHz. But I could only hear up to 10kHz. I seriously doubt you can hear up to 18kHz. That's 18 year old territory. I found it informative to do the exercise. No need for me to buy a super tweeter... :wink:

Aug 10, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #80,313 of 149,328
Punk rock DJ in my case. I got one of those Stereophile test CDs and a sound meter app for my phone. Playing their test tones I could measure sound up to 20kHz. But I could only hear up to 10kHz. I seriously doubt you can hear up to 18kHz. That's 18 year old territory. I found it informative to do the exercise. No need for me to buy a super tweeter... :wink:
Techno here, which I guess is probably a little easier on the ears than Punk? But those long 16 or 32 bar buildups sometimes had some pretty loud dynamics.

You're probably right, it's wishful thinking surely. I do think I'm going to have to do the test tone thing someday.

Aug 10, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #80,316 of 149,328
Peachtree Audio just introduced a power amp based on GaN (Gallium Nitride) semiconductors (here). I remember Jason briefly mentioning GaN as an interesting technology, so it's good to see other products coming to market . I used to own a Peachtree Decco amp, but I didn't really like the sound - the treble sounded a bit artificial to me. Hopefully the GaN amp will sound better. NAD also has a new amp module called Eigentakt, but I don't think that uses GaN components.
In the last virtual Schiit meet with @Jason Stoddard and @Baldr, Mike explained they experimented with it and came to the conclusion they wouldn't use GaN because it sounds like A$$. Look and listen to this video from 23:15 and wait for 23:22

Eigentakt is class D and is not from NAD, but just implemented by NAD, as by many others (Class D also not for Schiit).
Search this thread for the term Eigentakt and you will find some impressions.
Post 64.401
Post 68.470
Post 78.687

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #80,319 of 149,328
An hour ago, my Gungnir MB got delivered. I unpacked it and put it in its new place on my desk, replacing my Bifrost 2.

Plugged it in, switched it on, set it up in Roon, hit play on one of my favorite reference tracks and OH … MY … GOD! 😳
Where does all this bottom end come from?!?! So lush and smooth yet crisp and whatever the opposite of "in your face" is! The mids? So understated, in the very, VERY best sense of the word! And, oh my, the upper mids and highs, how can something be so very sparkly and yet not even attempt to lacerate your freaking eardrums at the same time?!

If I would have to describe the sound this thing puts out in just two words, I think it would have to be: Utterly effortless.
And not with an exclamation mark, mind you. With just a period. Because it's THAT effortless.

This Gungnir walked into my house, made itself comfortable on my desk, picked a cat hair from its meticulously creased dress pants, threw a friendly smile my way - and then proceeded to blow my mother-forking brains straight across the room.
This Gungnir, it is the George Clooney to my Bifrost's Brad Pitt, my Modius' Matt Damon, and my D90's Andy Garcia.
Nay, scratch that. It's George Clooney and Julia Roberts telling Vincent Cassel that he lost his wager, all wrapped into one.
THAT, folks, is the level of "effortless" that I am talking about.

What kind of devil's work is this, @Baldr?!

This thing isn't even warm yet, and it already blows my Bifrost 2 (and everything else I've ever heard, no matter how "fancy") cleanly out of the water. It took my Bifrost 2 at least a day or two to "find its tone," if you will. I would be more than happy if the sound of this Gungnir stayed the way it is – but man, now I'm seriously eager to find out what this thing might have in store for me over the coming days and week.

My desk setup, just in case someone wants to know:
M1 Mac mini -> USB (AudioQuest Cinnamon, obviously directly, meaning no hub, etc.) -> Gungnir MB -> XLR (Snake Oil Taipan) -> Lokius -> XLR (Snake Oil Taipan) -> Mjolnir 2 (on low gain, matched JJ E88CC Gold Pin tubes) -> braided 8-wire 4-pin XLR -> GoldPlanar GL2000

And for added context; I am almost exclusively listening to classical music (everything early romantics to contemporary, sans opera; usually fanboying for the Berlin Philharmonics).

@Timster, I owe you a mea culpa the size of Texas. You may now have a solid chuckle (or three) on my account, because: Wow! :grin:

And guys, this is honestly the first time this happened with any DAC I ever listened to. I swear! 🤣

Just, wow… 😳

Thanks for the impressions. I am looking forward to getting my Gungnir delta-sigma upgraded to multi-bit. I had the same reaction when I traded my DAPs' analog outputs for USB to Bifrost I multi-bit: holy cow! I've been curious about what the benefits of climbing the ladder would be. The difference between DAP, Bifrost MB and Gungnir DS make me want to keep going. And so...

Well, my Gungnir MB upgrade queue position, went from 66 to 54 in a day. And that's after sitting at 66 for a couple of months. So, with your Gungnir, and some queue movement, it's finally nice to get the feeling that things are getting back to normal at Schiit. They deserve normal.

Plus, thanks for the Gumby impressions. Much appreciated. I also agree, the Gungnir has killer bass response. Tight, deep, and impactful. It builds a solid foundation for any genre of music.

#63 after being at #77 for a while. Too early to get too excited... Kind of like waiting for Christmas 2022.

Awesome Post! Sent me right to Schiit‘s site for a look-see. Question for the thread: What would you pair with this DAC, Schiit or otherwise, now that Mjolnir is no more, for a headphone setup?

My current chain is DAP -> Gungnir -> Sys -> Aegir. Plenty of power to make my antique Stax come alive. I also have good luck with my HiFiMAN HE-500, though I have to turn the Sys down a bit. IEMs need not apply in this system, of course.

I've also used it in this system: DAP -> Gungnir -> Mjolnir I. However, even in its delta-sigma configuration, Gungnir is better-enough than my Bifrost I multi-bit, it stays in the living room where it gets more listening time.

Aug 10, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #80,320 of 149,328
Darn it. Here I thought I could just pop for a Bifrost 2 and now you are telling me I need to spend twice that and get a Gumby?! Darn it!

Of course, I am going to need some corroboration...
Depending on what you're "coming from" Bifrost 2 may be a revelation and as much as you want. I bought Bifrost I multi-bit as a close-out when Bifrost 2 was introduced as a way to dip my toe into not just external DACs but also multi-bit. While the change was a shocker, it didn't serve to bring me to the end of the upgrade chain, rather it stoked my curiosity about Gungnir.

Aug 10, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #80,321 of 149,328
I'm currently using a Modius to Lyr 3 to Vidar. I listen to classic rock, alt rock, soft rock, instrumental and some classical but most of that is from the late 19th and 20th century since I like that atonal percussive stuff a lot. I will probably stick to my plans to upgrade to a Bifrost 2 since a little mellowing at the very high end is not a bad thing for me so long as the bottom end is strong.

Aug 10, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #80,322 of 149,328
I'm currently using a Modius to Lyr 3 to Vidar. I listen to classic rock, alt rock, soft rock, instrumental and some classical but most of that is from the late 19th and 20th century since I like that atonal percussive stuff a lot. I will probably stick to my plans to upgrade to a Bifrost 2 since a little mellowing at the very high end is not a bad thing for me so long as the bottom end is strong.
You left out the speakers, man! We’re all a bit nuts, you…must……share with us.
😂

Aug 10, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #80,323 of 149,328
Another use for meters on amps. Playing test tones and not hearing anything while the meter is indicating 10 watts.
At least it sounded good at some point :)

Not to be nitpicky, but I'm not sure they're equiva!ent. A meter on a sound measuring tool provides a different service from a meter on a voltage provider (aka power amp). One measures power in, the other sound out. You could plug your power amp into a fat resistor and get meter readings but no sound.

Aug 10, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #80,324 of 149,328
My Denon has a "Pure Direct" setting that avoids that. I bet sister company Marantz has something similar, especially since it's touted for better sound.
I have a Denon AVR-X4300H and it has a "Pure Direct" mode but I do not know what that does? Does it bypass bass and treble controls or does it digitize analog inputs. I have noticed that the display on the unit goes out when in "Pure Direct" mode. I like the Denon Heos setup as it allows me to access via on screen on my TV or my phone my SiriusXM, Pandora Premium and Amazon Music Unlimited UHD with ease as well as regular internet stations out there.

I really like Denon products and have Heos speakers throughout the house as well as my favorite internet radios by Grace Digital. I had tried the Amazon Ultra HD service but could not hear any difference for the extra money and so went back to the regular Unlimited. Within a short period they sent me an email saying UHD was now the norm for their Music Unlimited. Ummm...Okay. I still cannot tell a difference but at least I do not have to pay extra for that now!

Aug 10, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #80,325 of 149,328
I have a Denon AVR-X4300H and it has a "Pure Direct" mode but I do not know what that does? Does it bypass bass and treble controls or does it digitize analog inputs. I have noticed that the display on the unit goes out when in "Pure Direct" mode. I like the Denon Heos setup as it allows me to access via on screen on my TV or my phone my SiriusXM, Pandora Premium and Amazon Music Unlimited UHD with ease as well as regular internet stations out there.

I really like Denon products and have Heos speakers throughout the house as well as my favorite internet radios by Grace Digital. I had tried the Amazon Ultra HD service but could not hear any difference for the extra money and so went back to the regular Unlimited. Within a short period they sent me an email saying UHD was now the norm for their Music Unlimited. Ummm...Okay. I still cannot tell a difference but at least I do not have to pay extra for that now!

You are correct - Direct mode bypasses the tone controls, turns off the subwoofer, and sets the front speakers to full range.

The only way to get "analog" on a home theatre receiver is to hook up your source to the six channel analog input originally intended for SACD.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back